fiduciary

Author Topic: Boot disk coming soon  (Read 6499 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: Possibility of a boot disk coming soon.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
Kotor 1 and 2 might have to wait until I can figure out how to get the audio off of the games.  There is pretty much 100% gonna be a cd 2 if I sell enough cd 1 and that would be for things like kotor, spaceballs, etc.  If someone wants to send me all of the cutscenes from kotor 1 and 2, then I would be more than happy to include them on the first cd. 

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
I am sure you could find most of them on youtube

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
if you guys give me links sure, but I don't know the game well enough to know where to look.  I would watch literally hours of footage to find one quote.  I played kotor 1 once and haven't finished the second yet. 

I would have no problem doing them from youtube just so long as I don't have to do hours and hours of searching per line.  It is a lot of work just to get them from the 6 star wars movies.  you have to watch the movie for the quote, then remember or write down when it was.  Then, you have to open the mp3 file of the movie and cut that section out, resample it, volume scale it to the right level, crossfade in and out, then save-as and open it again for the next quote.  Very tedious (though rewarding when you hear your boots from someone elses saber). 

I guess I could go to youtube and find every cutscene from the games and cut every quote individually, but that would also take forever. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:02:38 PM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
As regards game quotes the short vocal lines from the 'guest appearances' of Yoda [Xbox], Vader [PS3] and The Apprentice [at the time his name wasn't released] in Soul Calibur IV could be cool too.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
Before I'd spend any money on boots, I'd want to be sure that they're high quality and not just conversions of sounds on the internet to 16/22050. Can you post some examples of your work (files, not videos) so we can take a look at them in some audio programs?

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
Swtor Return Trailer

At the very end (Start Time - 5:44)

Two qoute segments I liked from the return trailer -

(Start Time 5:33)
Malgus "They've escaped master, you failed"
Sith Master "No Malgus, this is only the beginning"

(Start Time 5:44)
Malgus - "Yes...After a thousand years Korriban is ours again"
Saber Ignites
Malgus - "Welcome Home"

Or maybe just keep the whole conversation as 1 long boot sound.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
that is very useful, thanks nartules.  I can do both short ones and one long one. 

EDIT: @IA, I can do that.  I have no idea how though.  If you would like to test one or two, shoot me a pm with your email *looks at everyone else so they know they shouldn't also do this*  I sent some to General Grievous and MH, so they should be able to chime in as soon as they have them loaded into a saber.  In case you are curious, they all start at a higher frequency than 22050 and always start in stereo.  I work with them all the way until the end (including volume scaling) before I resample. 

you should note though, that boot sounds aren't like fonts.  I have boots from youtube that came through just as clear if not more clear than from the movies I ripped to my hard drive.  The ones that I do get from youtube are all in 720p hd and the sound is 48,000Hz (starting)

I would also be willing to send Jango a package if he could make a video with the boots (yes it would be a video, but it would also be his opinion on them). 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:33:17 PM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
Just to chime in on the quality of the boot sounds, if I may. 
All of the boots that Alex recently made for me are all very crisp and clear.  Yes it is just my opinion, but one to consider.
I don't like to make comparisons, but I have some of Avvatars boots on my starkiller and all of Alex's boots so far have been equal in quality.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
thanks a bunch DS. 

So, guys I've decided to just use the 6 star wars movies and TFU I in this disk.  It is already so much work by itself, that there is no way I could add kotor, and spaceballs, etc.  If there is enough interest in the first disk (read, if I sell enough copies to deem it worth my time) then there will be a second disk with anything I missed from the movies and TFU plus a bunch of the other stuff you guys are asking for.  Yeah, I could get a bunch of stuff from youtube, but you have to find the videos, then you have to download them. then you have to watch them to see where the quotes are.  then you have to convert the videos to mp3.  then you have to open them and find the section where the quote is.  then pull the quote out, fade ends, insert silence, increase the volume, resample, save-as without metadata.  then do it all over again.  that means 20 minutes per quote that isn't in the movies. 

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »
Alex just sent me three of his boots to review. He has done a very nice job of cleaning up the sounds, putting in fades, paying attention to the wave-form and boosting the volume so it sounds good in a saber. I tried them in Sith'ari and was pleasantly surprised. I would definitely buy a disc, especially if it is limited to in-universe sounds.

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
Hey Alex, I know you said you were sticking to the Original 6 and TFU, but if you need them, I also have all of the cut scenes for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »
I'll take you up on that as soon as I finish the first disk.  I wouldn't imagine that a second disk would take longer than christmastime, but again, that depends on how well the first disk does.  So far I only have 14 people that would buy a disk.  Not very good if you ask me.  Good thing I'm not in it for the money. 

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »
Oh, I may be persuaded as well.  You could likely round that up to 15.  Besides, I'm sure you'll wind up racking up more numbers as time goes on.

From the sounds of things, a specialty second disk would likely pull an even larger crowd.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »
yeah, but if they wouldn't buy the first disk, which has all of the best star wars quotes, then I can't imagine they would buy one with mostly non-movie quotes.  the worst part before release is going to be converting the boots to .raw from .wav before putting them on the cd.  I opened my mouth and made the option and people want it. 

The point is, CD#1 is coming with lots of boots now, so let's talk about movie boots now.  other stuff later. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:58:34 PM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
Maybe you should consider actually making a list of the boot sounds that you plan on doing?

I know that personally, I wouldn't commit to buying a CD of boot sounds UNLESS I knew that there were boot sounds that I would actually want / like / use.  :D

Which means you would have to make some as samples. Especially since this is your first foray into this field. ;) yaknowwhatimean?

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

retrousse