fiduciary

Author Topic: Hmm...interesting... (ESB related)  (Read 5427 times)

Sephiroth

Re: Hmm...interesting... (ESB related)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
Nah, it's all good, son.

Obviously the DVD is the closest to the way the Star Wars saga was meant to be seen.

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 04:01:56 AM »
Yes, you're right, the DVDs are obviously closest to GL's original 'vision' of what Star Wars was supposed to be.
And the re-mastering has made the picture clearer, no arguments there.
I just wish I could see them in the old, inferior, but more nostalgic form.
I first saw a new hope (known then as just 'Star Wars') when only 4 or 5 years old so it would be great to see them again as they were then.
It would be interesting to compare them too, so we could see how much difference the re-mastering has made.
But to be honest, it really is about nostalgia.
That's one of the main reasons I bought an FFX, 'cos I've wanted a working lightsaber ever since I saw Luke with one all those years ago.
In fairness though, Lucas could have changed Luke's saber colour to pink and given Chewie a poodle perm, I would still love Star Wars!

Sephiroth

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 05:25:34 AM »
The nostalgic saga isn't too bad actually.

I actually just wish that all of the actors from the OT were still alive/young so GL could go back and really re-make them to match up even better..

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 07:37:21 AM »
Yeah, it would be nice if there were a bit more of a 'feel' of continuity between the OT and the PT.
The storylines match up well enough, but it really shows that the trilogies were made 20 odd years apart.
When a friend and I went to see TPM, my friend asked me why all the spaceships looked so much better than in the OT, when it is supposed to take place 30 or so years before The OT.
Thinking quickly, I answered that the opression of the empire had meant that technological advance had gone into decline, meaning that Han, Luke & co. had to use outdated ships and that the empire could not afford to produce the same quality of ships that the old republic had.
I don't think he was satisfied with my answer, but it was the best one I could think of.
The only other answer would have been that Lucas has more technology and money at his disposal now than he had 20 years ago.The truth, but not such a good answer, in terms of the continuity of story.
If GL could re-make the OT with the original actors, the films would match up better, but I suspect some of the magic may be lost.
The thing about the OT was that GL pioneered new effects technology specifically for the films, and was under tremendous pressure to produce the goods. The result was something we had never seen before, and still love today.
In my experience, remakes rarely live up to expectations, so it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.
Not sure that Leia would look so good in the metal bikini now, and getting Alec Guiness to replicate his performance might be a bit difficult, too.
Even though the re-masters have undoubtedly improved some aspects of the OT, my emotional reaction was still to cringe and cry, "Leave them alone! They're great as they are!"

Sephiroth

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 07:42:09 AM »
Nice.

South Park character icon?

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 07:45:15 AM »
Yeah, this started in work.
First I became known as Timmy(mainly because it is my name), and then when my Star Wars hobby became public it changed to TImmy Wan Kenobi.
It's not just a username, I really do get called this!

Sephiroth

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 07:52:45 AM »
Cool.

Some people call me Lando because I'm kind of pimp like him.   I'm not a black guy though, but whatever..

xwingband

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 08:03:45 AM »
Not sure that Leia would look so good in the metal bikini now, and getting Alec Guiness to replicate his performance might be a bit difficult, too.

Carrie Fisher has aged well, but not that well. :D

Alec Guiness coming back from the dead would be quite th feat. :o

Offline Fettman

• Force User
  • "As you wish."
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 02:17:59 PM »
Coming back from the dead?

He never died, he just became part of the Force  ;)

retrousse