fiduciary

Author Topic: MR Qui-Gon LE converted with CF 5...UPDATED with new pics and video  (Read 14626 times)

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
Re: MR Qui-Gon LE converted with CF 5
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
Absolutely stunning, first rate work as usual, MH!

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »
Well this isn't a Larbel.  Jango as well as others have done the Larbel Quis though.
I know. But what I meant is that you were able to bore out a solid piece of metal and have electronics installed. The LE is similar to the Larbel in this regard. In fact, at the time I bought my Larbel, I was also considering picking up an MR LE (like this one) in hopes that it could be converted. I asked around here and was told it couldn't be done. :-\

It's nice to see the "impossible" made possible. 8)

Nothing is impossible, Everything depends on how much work a client wants us to do ;)  ***Translation; this stuff costs a ton*** ;)

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niƱo que llevamos adentro...
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
Awesome this work!!! :o :o
You used few place of a very efficient way!!
Congrat my friend!!!!
 :)

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
MH,

Great job as always. Very beautiful saber you have there. The deep grooves really stand out and make the impossible possible. The internals look really amazing too. You should definitely keep it though. Your always making sabers for everyone else and should have at least one to call your own.

Enjoy and great job!!!.

LB

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
Well I have been contemplating selling this saber but it wasn't quite up to par with what I would want it to be if I did indeed sell it (had a buyer and was going to make some changes if the deal went through).  There were a couple of things that bugged me about the saber and I fixed them today.  First was that it just didn't sound that good and wasn't very loud.  I did the CF volume hack on it and it was louder but still not as loud as I would like.  Another thing that bugged me is the switches I used.  I just used regular tactile switches that I cut down so it just had the regular plastic plungers that were on it.  Lastly the holes were not quite in line with the center and were off just a fraction.

The sound issue was because I just didn't have room to enclose the speaker so it was basically just open air all around it.  I used of all things the top of a water bottle and it worked great and the saber is plenty loud and clear now.

I fixed the switches by replacing them with the lighted switches Jango used on the stormtrooper run (and others have used as well).  I used a rivet as a plunger and a 3mm LED in the center for a lens.  To do this I had to move the power extender to the top of the board.  Only problem was that the cross bar would hit it if I did (barely but still would hit).  I decided to take a razor and cut the wafer the power extender was on which made it much thinner.  Problem #2 solved.

Lastly the problem with the switch holes being slight off was fixed because the plungers I used were larger than the existing plungers.  I used my mill this time and was able to get them perfectly aligned with the center of the cross bar.

All in all I am very happy with the way it turned out and now I just have to decide if I want to sell it or not.

I am doing some beta testing for erv on the firmware I used (still in beta form) and I really like the pulsing ("breathing") mode for the accent LED.

Here are some pics of the internals (click for larger images)

here is the video

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
Re: MR Qui-Gon LE converted with CF 5...UPDATED with new pics and video
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
beautiful!  :o your craftsmanship, creativity and attention to detail never cease to amaze me.

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
Re: MR Qui-Gon LE converted with CF 5...UPDATED with new pics and video
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
 8) MH Really Nice  :o

retrousse