fiduciary

Author Topic: How to use a momentary switch with a latching sound board.  (Read 27511 times)

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: How to use a momentary switch with a latching sound board.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 05:01:59 AM »
Do they (the keychain light) operate via a single press on then single press off or is it something different? I get the feeling I am missing something here  ???

Yup, that's exactly what's going on here. ;)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »

Facebook: VVFB

Offline jock109

• Force User
  • It's a great life if you don't weaken.
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »
Thanks Luminara i'll give that a go although once bitten ............... tried that with a double maul from Museum Replicas and after a couple of weeks they told me free shipping was a no no overseas and tried to charge me over $100 lol

Although $100 on a $2 light is maybe stretching the bounds of  imagination a bit far. Anyway here goes :P

Update:

Ladies and gentleman we have a winner!

Thanks m'lady @ Luminara
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:37:38 AM by jock109 »
My Sabers:
MR
Anakin AOTC x2, Luke ROTJ (EL), Vader ANH (1st), Mace Windu AOTC x2,
Luke ESB, Vader ESB, Anakin ROTS, Obi Wan ROTS x2,
Luke ROTJ (LED), Darth Maul (Single) x2, Vader ANH, Luke ANH,
Yoda x2, Luke ESB hilt,
Other
Obi Wan AFBB Prop hilt, JQ stunt saber x2

Offline Greenveg

• No Force
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »
Excellent tutorial!
But one thing, some of these little boards might not be suitable at all.

For me to explain this I need you to fully understand how the electronics work, so here we go:

How it works (most of you probably knows this):
Mechanically there are two kinds of switches, latching and momentary. Latching switches mechanically "closes" the circuit and thus feeding power to the electronics continually. The work a bit like a door, the are either opened or closed ("off" or "on")
Momentary switches does as the name suggests only momentarily close the electric circuit. Imagine a simple flashlight with a momentary switch, for it to work you would have to press down the button all the time. As soon as you released the button, you would break the circuit and the light would go out.
Mechanically momentary switches are a lot easier to make and can be made smaller.

You can however make a momentary switch act like a latching one with a simple electronic processor of some kind. Those are a bit tricky to make yourself, but are easy-peasy for factories. The processor is the little black dot. You can see them on the FX boards as well.

However, since you want that little black dot and its board to be really small, you would find them in little keychains lights and the likes. And in bike lamps. There is one problem with this. A lot of them probably has another little function that you don't see.
The blink the LED (the electricity) in short pulses, like 100 times a second or so. This will make the runtime longer. If the LED is off for half a second every sec, splitted into 100 fragments it would double the lifetime of the battery. The LED is off half the time right?
The funny thing with this is that our eyes and brain ain't fast enough to see it, it looks just as bright.

If the processor (small black dot-thingy) does that, its NOT sutaible for lightsabers.
There is however an easy way to test this: put a string ('bout 0,5m) on the keychain light you plan on using and spin it!
If the circle you can see is dotted, you know the processor is pulsing the electricity. And if the processor is pulsing the electricity
the board is NOT suitable.

MTFBWY and sorry for the long post.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:10 PM »
Explain why you say it would not be suitable as there are tons of folks successfully using it already?

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
I suggest that you take some time to do some reading when you are new to forums, and learn about some of the way things are done regarding both electronics and etiquette. While it is appreciated to contribute some knowledge, it also appreciated to not contradict a well respected and knowledgeable member's post because you have your opinion on the matter.

We always welcome new members with open arms, so please respect us as well.  :)

Note: MODS, if this thing is inappropriate to post, accept my apology and I will do a PM instead.  ;)

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 04:08:31 PM »
I think I see what he's getting at. I noticed this when I was having a look for a similar keychain on feebay. There are some that look similar to the lighthound ones that have 3 functions. Off, on & strobe. Those are indeed unsuitable for our purposes. But the lighthound ones and their cheaper alternative for international buyers on dealextreme have been specifically chosen for their lack of a strobe function.  ;)
 So he did have a valid point even if he did sound a teensy bit condescending to start off with.
Although, you know what just occured to me? A three function board could have a very interesting application. It wouldn't work with a saber with a soundboard but used with a stunt saber without sound you might have a cheap alternative to a phase blade system. Just a luxeon (or nearest equivalent) based one.
And Caine, I love it when you get all Jedi Masterful!  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:38:37 AM by Darth Inferis »
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
He's referring to PWM (pulse width modulation) functions.  Given that it's been used without issue it really wouldn't seem to be a problem.  If it did have PWM it could cause issues with compounding micro-controllers, but for both applications the keychain and MR boards are designed to be pretty "dumb".

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
He's referring to PWM (pulse width modulation) functions.  Given that it's been used without issue it really wouldn't seem to be a problem.  If it did have PWM it could cause issues with compounding micro-controllers, but for both applications the keychain and MR boards are designed to be pretty "dumb".

Right on X.  In that sense, PWM would be used so that it is specifically NOT a constant current... it saves a little power and it's actually pretty common.  Have you ever noticed that some flashing LEDs won't flash from an ultrasound 2.5 accent LED pad? ;)

Greenveg was only pointing out ONE TYPE to look out for.  Yes we have found ONE TYPE that works fine.  But... if you come across a similar keychain flashlight with similar properties, try this little trick to see if it is that constant current or if it's a micro-pulse.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
For the record, the lighthound PCB will NOT work for a direct drive stunt. It limits the current to less than 100ma. Good for making the MR switch contact? Yes!

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
For the record, the lighthound PCB will NOT work for a direct drive stunt. It limits the current to less than 100ma. Good for making the MR switch contact? Yes!

A relay or power extender might solve that?  A direct drive stunt obviously means a driver is out, but in theory a buckpuck should probably like the keychain as an external micro-controller and pucks fit in a lot of places.

Right on X.  In that sense, PWM would be used so that it is specifically NOT a constant current... it saves a little power and it's actually pretty common.  Have you ever noticed that some flashing LEDs won't flash from an ultrasound 2.5 accent LED pad? ;)

I've never used a US2.5.  I discouraged US use with my customers unless they provided me one.  Since I'm not making anymore it's a moot point anyway!  I go CF or go home for my personal stuff.

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »

Oh! I didn't mean the lighthound one I meant one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-Mini-LED-Bike-Bicycle-Light-Flashlight-Lamp-Keychain_W0QQitemZ200435848994QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights?hash=item2eaae85722

I did previously see others that looked more like the lighthound ones but had a momentary switch that reversed the order so it went solid beam, strobe, off. Still, if the lighthound PCB limits the current I shouldn't imagine the strobe version would be any different. It was merely a suggestion, I wouldn't want anyone actually buying one on account of my theories.  :-[
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 07:04:25 AM »

A relay or power extender might solve that?  A direct drive stunt obviously means a driver is out, but in theory a buckpuck should probably like the keychain as an external micro-controller and pucks fit in a lot of places.

Tried it with a puck, not sure why it doesn't work X.  Any ideas?

Offline Greenveg

• No Force
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:09 AM »
Now I will try to answer to all you guys in one post. Thats probably a stupid thing to do.
Caine:
My post count doesn't really tell you for how long I've been here. Neither does the time my account have existed. I have actually been around here since 2006... Its just that I live in sweden, and therefore doesn't speak english that well. But my english gets better and better (school goes on...^^) and so does my knowledge of basic electronics. Mostly thanks to my lightsaber interest:D

LUMINARA UNDULI:
If you read my post carefully you would see that in the second line I say: "some of these little boards..."
But, yeah, I should have made that clearer since it is, so to speak, my point.

Darth Inferis:
Me sounding teensy is just me not being good enough at english. Thats why I stay quiet for most of the time^^

Xwing:
PWM! Thats the word I'm looking for! But, do I get you right when you say that it doesn't matter if its PMW or not? For example with an FX board? I hooked my yoda board up to one of those small circuits that I know uses PMW and it behaved... oddly?

If it doesn't matter then I'm way out and apologieses for my long and incorrect post.

Also, eastern got it right, I'm just trying to point out that yes, this was a good find, but if you try this and it doesn't work this might be why.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »
Thank you for clarifying that....like I said we love to hear new ideas (and I am learning SO MUCH these days on electronics) and all input is appreciated.

BTW, your English seems fine to me.  ;)

I am planning on using this setup in the near future....I will post a vid as soon as it's done (although not sure exactly when)

retrousse