fiduciary

Author Topic: Aayla's MR Luke Skywalker ANH FFX Review  (Read 5580 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Aayla's MR Luke Skywalker ANH FFX Review
« on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »
It's been a few years since I've done a review, and I know it took awhile to get this one posted after having initially acquired this lightsaber in May of last year. And even then that was a year and a half after it originally came out. But alas, here it is. Enjoy. :)

Master Replicas Luke Skywalker Episode IV A New Hope

MR's Luke ANH saber originally was released in the Fall of 2007 after having been delayed. As the Luke ANH was one of my favorite sabers, it was something I was psyched to learn would be coming out. Then when it did, I had many more things going on than I did when I had gotten ahold of the previous MR sabers. Plus finances were even more tight. So it got put on the backburner. I knew I'd eventually get it and the MR Darth Vader ANH, but it would be awhile. After getting back on my feet and being financially independent once again, I finally sought out a Luke ANH. I didn't want the Hasbro version. It had to be the MR so that my collection would be consistent. And say what you will, it's still a bit weird now that Hasbro is manufacturing these under their name. I eventually came across a brand new one from a reputable seller on Ebay. I won the auction at just $80. Quite a deal in my opinion. :)

By the way, I recently acquired an MR Vader ANH. A review will be forthcoming.

Anyway, let's get started, shall we?

"For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire." Obi-Wan Kenobi- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

PACKAGING

The Luke ANH comes in a brown outer box as do all FX sabers. The inner box is styled in the same fashion as the Yoda ROTS. I like this style box for its simplicity. It does a good job of selling the product across for what it is.

"Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight." Obi-Wan Kenobi- Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

HILT

The Luke ANH hilt is fairly close to the size of the original prop. It seems to be made of aluminum. It definitely has a different look and feel compared to the Anakin ROTS this mold is based off of. The aluminum looks a good deal more scratchy (for lack of a better word) than does the smooth-chromed Anakin ROTS. From the hole above the bunny ears to the seven grips exclusive to the Luke ANH prop, the details are all here. The only truly obvious hint of MR cutting corners (due to them basing this off an older mold) is the area around the glass eye. Due to the previous incarnation that this saber is based off of, MR had to fill in the area around the glass eye. This gives it an unauthentic look. It's not really a huge deal to me, though, in the grand scheme of things. I really enjoy the light shining through the hole above the bunny ears and from underneath the ring on the opposite side of the head. It's just like it is on the Luke ESB.  I've also always liked the bubble strips and the idea of them being used to activate the lightsaber. I am pleased that this is how it works here. With a press of the strip, the blade and sounds come to life just as with the Vader sabers. The pommel on the Luke ANH is a bit different from what we've seen before. You have to use the D-ring to screw and unscrew the pommel into place. It's a bit awkward, and I feel like I need to be careful not to break it. But given the design of the Luke ANH prop, it was probably either this or an inaccurate extending pommel similar to the accurate one on the Anakin ROTS.

BLADE

The blade construction is virtually the same as it is with previous sabers in the same generation. It's a sturdy blade that does shake a bit just as it did in the Anakin ROTS. Nevertheless, it's of solid construction and I'd trust dueling with it. When you switch on the igniter, the lights sequence up in a smooth fashion just as with the other more recent MR sabers. Although I do not have my previous MR sabers with me to compare the Luke ANH to (they're at my parents' home back in Texas), it appears to me that the blade is a bit lighter in color than the Anakin ROTS. Perhaps it's just the illusion of not having handled an FX in awhile, but it certainly appears to be of an ever so slightly more cyan hue than the deeper cobalt of the Anakin. The dark spot at the center of the LED strips and the consistency of the LEDs themselves are more comparable to Obi-Wan ROTS than the Anakin ROTS; which is great since they're less noticeable. The blade is just as bright as you'd expect from a Force FX saber.

Blade in fully darkened room.

Blade in dimly lit room.

SOUNDS

The sounds here are more of the same that MR has provided us with in all Jedi sabers since the Anakin ROTS. There's nothing special here beyond what we're already accustomed to. That's not to say the sounds are bad. They're nice sounds, but it would have been nice to have gotten something newer and more closely resembling the saber in the film. That being said, the ignition, idle hum, swoosh sounds, and shut down are all crisp and at a nice volume.

STAND

The Luke ANH features the same tried-and-true stand that's been featured in most all the FX sabers in the last several years, with an updated stamped year of 2007.

Nothing new here. Move along.

HANDLING

The Luke ANH handles very similarly to the Anakin ROTS. It is very lightweight just as the first run of the Anakin was back in 2005. I don't necessarily mind this, but I would have preferred it to be a bit heftier as was the second run of the Anakin ROTS. Nevertheless, the saber feels great and is very easy to swing around and enjoy. It's certainly easier to wield than the Luke ESB.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

The Master Replicas Luke Skywalker ANH is a solidly-constructed, realistically detailed lightsaber replica that fits in nicely with the rest of the Force FX line. The detailing, sounds, and overall handling are right up there with the other Generation 4 Force FX sabers. Although a totally brand new hilt would have been nice rather than MR re-using the Anakin ROTS, MR did a pretty darn good job with their conversion. A couple minor details were sacrificed as a result, but they are minor and do not greatly affect the accuracy and enjoyability of this replica. For anyone following the MR Force FX line, picking up this saber is a no brainer. It's a great looking piece that does what it's supposed to and is nothing short of "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:51:53 PM by AAYLA SECURA »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
Re: Aayla's MR Luke Skywalker ANH FFX Review
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:22:08 AM »
Most excellent review, Master Aayla.
It's always nice to see such clear, organized, and informative reviews.

Offline Watto

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:25 AM »
Excellent review!...This MR FX saber is one of the best in my humble opinion and if I did not already own one, after reading your review I would be sure to buy one.   ;)

Offline Master Dai Bendu

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »
I was impressed with how close this saber is to an actual Graflex hilt. Only a few details have been compromised.

Great review Master Secura!

Offline Dustil Onasi

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
most impressive.
Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

retrousse