fiduciary

Author Topic: Aayla's Darth Vader ESB FFX Review  (Read 24913 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Aayla's Darth Vader ESB FFX Review
« on: December 07, 2005, 10:33:05 AM »
When you go out looking for a good MR FFX lightsaber, what do you look for? Do you look for a saber with an authentically replicated hilt? Should it include a well-balanced hilt that's very close in size to its on-screen counterpart? Does your search necessitate a bright, CONSISTENTLY lit blade? What about some great sounds that sound precisely like what you heard in the film? If your answer is YES to all of these questions, then the Darth Vader Force FX lightsaber is for you!

After getting myself my first FX saber, the Anakin ROTS, I began to imagine how cool it would be to have a Sith lightsaber as well... to compliment the Jedi saber that I'd gotten. ;) It took until September for the FX sabers to resurface anywhere in town, and I happened to come across them at Sharper Image in a new outdoor mall. They had both the Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB sabers. A few days later, I decided to get myself the Vader ESB. What primarily drew me to this saber was the unique sounds that it had, along with the red blade of course. So I go to Sharper Image, and lo and behold, I get the last one. By this point they've also sold out of the Anakin sabers. I then take my saber home, drop it off, and then go to work, all the while anticipating 10PM so that I can go home and indulge.  ;D

Upon opening the Vader ROTS, I was extremely pleased to see a gorgeous lightsaber hilt. I was like, "Wow, I have Darth Vader's lightsaber!" The hilt is just extremely well-built. It's constructed similarly to Anakin's, but in my opinion, I think it may have been constructed better. When comparing this lightsaber to pictures of Vader's original ESB prop, I can find virtually no differences, save for the speaker openings at the bottom of the hilt. The D ring may be another difference, though I am uncertain as to whether or not the Vader ESB saber actually had one (I believe that it did). In any case, the rubber grips are nice and long... longer than they are on the Anakin ROTS. The ignition button is also in the middle of the hilt, with some nice clean metal between the on/off button and the shroud emitter. This design makes this saber absoutely ideal for dueling with. Unlike the Anakin saber, there is plenty of grasping room on either side of the hilt. Whoever originally designed this hilt knew what they were doing. I also found myself enamored for some reason or other with the shrould emitter. It's made of a soft plastic type material that's also sturdy. I think it looks superb. Another thing I love about this handle is the on/off switch. It's a clear bubbly switch that both feels great and slides on or off easily. I think it's the best on/off button on any of the lightsabers. It's also how Vader would have turned his own saber on. ;) The only thing I have to wonder about is why there's a small letter "B" near the shroud.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1139.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1145.jpg

After I installed the batteries to my Vader FX, I flipped the ignition and was marvelled at a stunningly bright, deep red blade. The blade itself is a solid piece of work. It doesn't wobble around anywhere near as much as the Anakin ROTS did. I find it to be very well balanced. It's a bit heavier than the Anakin ROTS, but I find the weight to be perfect. And one thing that was very important to me was the consistency in the red LEDs. I find the Vader ESB to have the most consistently-lit blade of all my FX sabers. You virtually cannot see the individual LEDs, unlike the other lightsabers. I found this to be a very good thing.  :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1141.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1005.jpg

One of my most favorite things about the Vader ESB lightsaber is the sound!  ;D

If that's not an idle hum, I don't know what is. This humming sound is DEEP. The volume is good, though if I had it my way, I'd have it a bit louder. The idle hum is exactly that in which you can hear in ROTJ right before Vader tells Luke, "You are unwise to lower your defenses!" Once you begin swinging it around, the sounds are just brilliant. I love the different swinging sounds that MR put into this saber. I hear nearly everything that I heard in both ESB and ROTJ. It makes sense for the swing sounds to be random, since in real life, a lightsaber wouldn't have a special sound arrangement. The battle clash is awesome, though unfortunately there is only one clashing sound. The sounds, combined with the vibrant blade and the awesome hilt make me feel like a true Sith.  ;) It really is my favorite saber to swing around for some reason.

All in all, I'd have to say that the Darth Vader ESB is the best lightsaber in terms of quality. While the Anakin ROTS is currently my favorite, I'd have to say that Vader's was manufactured better than the others and is just the best overall. You can never go wrong with Darth Vader or his Sith saber. ;)

Stay tuned for a review on the Luke ROTJ re-issue, coming soon.  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:16:01 PM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline The Apprentice

• Experienced Force User
Re: My Darth Vader ESB FFX Review
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 10:50:14 AM »
Great review, you seem very happy with your new FX! Other reviews I've read say that the blade has to be struck quite hard to produce the clash sound. Did you have this problem?

Nice pictures too! This will definately be the next saber I get. When that'll be, though, I don't know.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 10:59:42 AM »
Once again great review Aayla. This is gonna be my next saber, I have always wanted a better working Vader force fx than ANH version. By the way, you wrote "Once you begin swinging it around, the sounds are just brilliant", do you mean by this that motion sensors are perfectly on time?

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 11:02:47 AM »
Thank you. I enjoy writing reviews for virtually anything... from the best hotels (I was commissioned to do it for another website  :D ) to action figures.  I like having an item for some time before reviewing it, and as I've had this saber since September, I've had plenty of time to get to know it.  :D

Anyhow, you actually don't have to hit the Vader saber hard at all to get the clash sound. I have found that the easiest way to get any FFX saber to produce the clashing sound is to bump the tip of it on the stairs. The stairs here at home are wooden with a thin, rough carpet. It's not too hard, not too soft, and perfect for testing my clashing sounds. ;) I literally don't have to do anything other than give the saber a slight bump and I get the sound every time... on any of my sabers. :)

The Mace ROTS seems to be the hardest saber to make the clashing sounds, but I guess that's because it's an older generation model.

In any event, I know you'll love your Vader ESB whenever you get a chance to get it. :)

Once again great review Aayla. This is gonna be my next saber, I have always wanted a better working Vader force fx than ANH version. By the way, you wrote "Once you begin swinging it around, the sounds are just brilliant", do you mean by this that motion sensors are perfectly on time?

What I meant by that is that the sounds are really cool. They seem to be on time for the most part, but I think that the Luke ROTJ and Mace ROTS would have to take the prize in being more consistent with my swings. ;)

*Victoria
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 11:04:42 AM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 11:09:55 AM »
Thanks, that information really makes me feel good. Perhaps Vader ESB is gonna be my first "perfect" force fx lightsaber. I'll get mine Vader ESB next week. I'm really looking forward to it.  :)

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 11:13:14 AM »
Oh yeah, one more thing... If it's not a big request, could you post some pics of the Vader ESB on/off switch. I would love to see how does it look...  ;)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:41:32 AM »
Oh yeah, one more thing... If it's not a big request, could you post some pics of the Vader ESB on/off switch. I would love to see how does it look...  ;)

Yes, Sir, here you go!

Sorry it isn't the best quality pic. My camera isn't best at taking up-close pictures, but I think you should be able to see it okay. ;)

As I mentioned, this ignition switch is my favorite on all my FX's. I just think it's a cool piece of plastic. And to my knowledge it's the only FX saber that you can turn on and off the way the character in the film would do it. I'm not sure about the Anakin ROTS. :)

*Victoria
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 12:08:57 PM »

Most excellent review

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline The Apprentice

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 01:51:18 PM »
Thank you, Aayla Secura, for the information! I look forward to getting this lightsaber.

Offline Darth Chris

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 02:16:16 PM »
Nice review. i'm expecting a vader esb for christmas and everything i hear just makes me want it even more. one question though. Are those dark spots on the blade from hitting it too hard or what?

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 02:27:19 PM »
Nice review. i'm expecting a vader esb for christmas and everything i hear just makes me want it even more. one question though. Are those dark spots on the blade from hitting it too hard or what?

No. I never use my lightsabers for dueling. The dark spots are simply where the LEDs meet within the saber. There's a tiny gap between each one, and in some cases, some LEDs are slightly brighter or dimmer than others. This is most apparent in the Luke ROTJ re-issue saber. However, the Vader ESB seems to be the most consistent. I know in that picture you can see them a bit, but in real life it's harder to see them. :) The Anakin ROTS has one dark spot in the middle, though that's where the LED strips meet each other. I have no idea though why it's not visible in the other sabers. They may have different types of strips or different meeting points.

*Victoria
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 02:29:07 PM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Darth Chris

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 03:59:17 PM »
thanks for the info.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 06:13:15 PM »
Another wonderfully written review.  Entertaining and informative all at the same time.  It was like I was there the first time you picked it up and were describing it to me.  Very Nice!
I can understand when you say how the LED's have the most consistency to them.  Both my Vaders, even the ANH have excellent blade brightness and uniformity.

I have a TESB Vader already(group purchase buy) but I am contemplating getting a MIB to display and have the Vader to use when I duel with my ROTJ Luke. 

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 01:53:32 AM »
Hello aayla

very good review once again,

i hope to see your mace and Luke when you get a chance.

have you tried really good batteries in your sabers as the spotting in the blade is minimalised, my vader esb, luke rotj have no spotting at all.  my mace suffers from the patching problem and my Anakin ROTS has the usual dark spot but i can never make out blotches in these three.  your one pic of the Vader ESB seems to be suffering from blotching.

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 12:07:21 AM »
Great Review, Aayla. I only have one disagreement and it is heard when Vader confronts Luke. The power-up of the FX. It is close to the sound in the movie, but like the other Vader saber, the sound of the power -up of these sabers should actually sound like the clash sound. THAT is what they sound like on ignition. The clash sounds should sound similar to this, but shorter. Maybe take a couple of clash sounds from the others, but the start-up, while close, is not the precise sound. With the technology that MR has, this might want to be thought about for Lord Maul's and other sith ones to come. While a simple saber, it is solid.

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

retrousse