fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin's ROTS lightsaber hilt???  (Read 10704 times)

Offline Watto

• Experienced Force User
Anakin's ROTS lightsaber hilt???
« on: December 24, 2008, 03:25:47 PM »

Chances are this topic has already been covered (I tryed looking but could not find a post for it).  I am often blind so please forgive me guys if there is one.   ;)

anyway...

As much as I like Anakins ROTS lightsaber hilt (I have the MR LE and FX), for the sake of story continuity, should it not have looked identical to Lukes ANH version hilt?

The way the story goes (from my understanding), Obi-Wan Kenobi must have made the modifications to the hilt (from the ROTS style hilt to the ANH style hilt) sometime between ROTS and ANH (from when he picked it up on Mustafar, to when he handed it to Luke out of his storage chest).

I have always wondered why George Lucas decided not to use the ANH style hilt for Anakin in ROTS?

If anyone can shed light on this one for me, that would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Watto.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
Re: Anakin's ROTS lightsaber hilt???
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »
Watto, it partly had to do with having a comfortable enough prop for Hayden to use.  Since Episode III (and the prequels as a whole) is packed with fast-paced lightsaber duels, another hilt had to be created to make handling the famous Skywalker lightsaber a little easier on the actor.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:47:50 PM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline Watto

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 03:36:03 PM »

Thank's OBI-WAN KENOBI  :)

In that case, could they not have just made Anakin's (Hayden's) stunt saber more comfortable but the actual display saber (the one he would wear on his belt) the same as the Luke ANH version?

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
I think they were also aiming to create a younger (different) version of the lightsaber - something sleeker in design along the same lines as the rest of the prequel hilts.  8)

Btw, the design of the Anakin ROTS saber actually has elements of both the Luke ANH and ESB hilts - kinda like the way the Anakin AOTC has elements of the Darth Vader ANH saber.  

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:13:23 PM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline RogueJedi

• Vagabond Master
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »
I know Lucas said that he never intended the sabers to be the same. He also said that Anakin's saber was the only one that an actor didn't get any input on, because it had to look similar to Luke's.

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
I read somewhere on sw.com that the Anakin ROTS hilt is what Luke's ANH is "supposed" to look like, as in, if Lucas had the resources to make Luke's how he wanted, if would have looked like Anakin's in the first place.

Of course, that was either said just for "continuity's sake", or pure hearsay. :)

I personally prefer Obi Wan's explanation above.
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »
Okay, I'll post about it again...

1. George Lucas is INFAMOUS for changing the story to his whim ANY time a continuity issue comes up. 

2. This has been posted here before, just as every other subject you have brought up so far... Are we getting the point yet? ;)

3. Put it in perspective...

All design changes aside, or from what Lucas says.  The progression from the ROTS hilt to the ANH hilt is actually quite natural...

A) The Anakin ROTS was a saber built in the time when the Jedi were at their prime. Before Order 66 and before The Purge.  Parts to build them were still pretty readily available.

B) Anakin's ROTS Saber Was subjected to quite a bit of action in this episode, from fighting to "Save" the Chancellor, VS Droids, and Grievous's Personal Guards, To a fight on a volcanic planet.  By the end of EP III this saber had most likely seen quite a bit of damage by the time Obi-Wan salvaged it from the Ashen surface on Mustafar. (This was a customary Thing to do when defeating a fallen Jedi that had turned from the order.  While the Jedi's weapon is of their own design, it is STILL property of the Jedi Order and must be reclaimed, typically by the Master that trained the other Jedi.)

C.  Since Order 66 was carried out and all Jedi believed Dead other than Yoda, Obi-Wan, and the Offspring of Skywalker. There was no Jedi Order.  Obi-Wan Kept it to salvage.

D. Once he realized after speaking with Qui-Gon Through the force that Luke must be trained, he began upkeep on the saber. 

E. This is where most of the Cosmetic changes can be explained:  Due to the harsh environment of Tatooine, Upkeep of a saber is nearly tripled.  Remember what Anakin said to Padme in Episode 2.  "I hate Sand... It's irritating, and it gets EVERYWHERE!"

F. By the time Obi-Wan had settled in and begun his vigil over the Lars Moisture farm, the saber had to be repaired. 

Now let's go into what changed and give a possible explanation:

From Anakin to Luke

The saber had a covertec knob when Owned by Anakin.  As we stated before sand has a notorious habit of getting into crevices, and causing wear and tear.  In a desert climate a covertec would have been prone to a LOT of wear and tear... The D-ring has much less area for wear since sand can't catch in it as easily.  i.e. Blows right through. D-RING EXPLAINED

The Anakin saber had a closed switch box and clamping band.  This part seemed a bit flashy to me, and could easily break. Obi wan had to use what was available to him to keep the saber up to par.  So he replaced the clamp collar and lever with available parts. This made the saber easier to field strip, should sand get into it and muck up the inner mechanics, and electronics.  CLAMP EXPLAINED

The Anakin Saber's Copper/Gold buttons probably wore out. Leaving Obi Wan with no choice but to change them out.  ANY switch will wear out over time. Even Blade width and length adjustors.  Once again direct replacement parts probably were not readily obtained, so similar scavenged parts must have been used. RED BUTTONS EXPLAINED

Anakin's saber had six grips.  These were most likely replaced after the showdown on Mustafar because they were Scorched or perhaps could have been damaged by the hostile climate of Tatooine.  Rubber DOES get brittle after losing it's moisture Content.  Perhaps as he got on in years Obi Forgot how many grips his old Apprentice had on his saber, and added an extra... Who Knows?  7 GRIPS ON ANH EXPLAINED

Anakin's saber had a stepped pommel end, for a more finished look.  Perhaps the original rear casing was damaged and needed replaced at some point.  Perhaps to allow better fitment of a D-Ring? Therefore the change in appearance. POMMEL END EXPLAINED

The Rabbit ears on Anakin's saber appear to not connect to the emitter matrix retention ring.  Perhaps the emitter matrix suffered some damage and had to be retrofitted with hand made parts.  Once again, a parts availability issue.  BUNNY EARS EXPLAINED

Anakin's Saber had an electrum switchplate,  Perhaps this was damaged or wore out over the 18 or so years of non use or Desert climate issues.  Perhaps Obi-Wan needed a better way to seal the activator? BUBBLE STRIP EXPLAINED

Anakin's Blade was a DEEPER Blue.  Perhaps the Crystal wore out, or was changed somehow during the battle on Mustafar.  Or we can use the Desert Climate for an example here.  Perhaps the contacts inside the saber had corroded, changing their effectiveness and performance?  CYAN BLADE COLOR EXPLAINED.

And for the FINAL Explanation:

The Bottom line about the changes?  COPYRIGHT PROTECTION!  You see, Lucasfilm CANNOT copyright the GRAFLEX based hilt as his own, EVEN WITH the changes to make it a lightsaber.  The rights to that flash are Still Owned by Graflex (They make Night vision e-scopes for Tanks now!).

If he makes significant changes to the design, and changes the outward appearance of the body itself. It becomes HIS design.  Therefor he has legal recourse if someone copies it...  It's as simple as that.

EVERY saber in the PT is covered by this Copyright, as intellectual property.

This is why the Obi Wan ANH is such a grey area.  AND the reason for the changes to its design as well for ROTS.

PLUS a custom designed hilt was probably FAR more cost effective to make a few copies of and just put them through their paces.  A Graflex on set would be a NIGHTMARE to deal with for duelling shoots. Plus that is extra Labor hours paid at UNION wages for a props master to take extra time every shoot to make sure the hilt is serviceable...

I suppose you have to look at this from the perspective of a SABERSMITh, to be able to envision the STORY explanation, by using a knowledge of electro-mechanical limitatio0ns, and need for service on a weapon.

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »
Great summary DT!

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 02:22:12 AM »
When ever DT replies, he sure gets the final word hahaha  :D  :D  ;D. Anyway, better listen to him, since he's right  :)

Offline Watto

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »

WOW!!!   :o   :)

Thanks DARTH TYRANUS, that was an "excellent explanation" and exactly what I was looking for.

I do appologise for repeating this post as I was sure it must have been previously covered but I could not find it (my bad).

Anyway, thanks again DARTH TYRANUS, I really appreciate your input.

Watto.   ;)

Offline Tulak Hord

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
I have no idea why he diddnt make it look exactly like ANH, maybe its a side story soon to come? maybe obiwan modifys the hilt, maybe obiwan lied and it isnt his fathers lightsaber. Who knows... yet
It's 120 parsecs to coruscant. We have a full power cell, 2 droids, it's deep space and we have our blast shields down. Hit it.
Yub Nub

Offline pickupman63080

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »
Read DT's explanation above..you'll have your answer

Offline Tulak Hord

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
Okay, I'll post about it again...

1. George Lucas is INFAMOUS for changing the story to his whim ANY time a continuity issue comes up. 

2. This has been posted here before, just as every other subject you have brought up so far... Are we getting the point yet? ;)

3. Put it in perspective...

All design changes aside, or from what Lucas says.  The progression from the ROTS hilt to the ANH hilt is actually quite natural...

A) The Anakin ROTS was a saber built in the time when the Jedi were at their prime. Before Order 66 and before The Purge.  Parts to build them were still pretty readily available.

B) Anakin's ROTS Saber Was subjected to quite a bit of action in this episode, from fighting to "Save" the Chancellor, VS Droids, and Grievous's Personal Guards, To a fight on a volcanic planet.  By the end of EP III this saber had most likely seen quite a bit of damage by the time Obi-Wan salvaged it from the Ashen surface on Mustafar. (This was a customary Thing to do when defeating a fallen Jedi that had turned from the order.  While the Jedi's weapon is of their own design, it is STILL property of the Jedi Order and must be reclaimed, typically by the Master that trained the other Jedi.)

C.  Since Order 66 was carried out and all Jedi believed Dead other than Yoda, Obi-Wan, and the Offspring of Skywalker. There was no Jedi Order.  Obi-Wan Kept it to salvage.

D. Once he realized after speaking with Qui-Gon Through the force that Luke must be trained, he began upkeep on the saber. 

E. This is where most of the Cosmetic changes can be explained:  Due to the harsh environment of Tatooine, Upkeep of a saber is nearly tripled.  Remember what Anakin said to Padme in Episode 2.  "I hate Sand... It's irritating, and it gets EVERYWHERE!"

F. By the time Obi-Wan had settled in and begun his vigil over the Lars Moisture farm, the saber had to be repaired. 

Now let's go into what changed and give a possible explanation:

From Anakin to Luke

The saber had a covertec knob when Owned by Anakin.  As we stated before sand has a notorious habit of getting into crevices, and causing wear and tear.  In a desert climate a covertec would have been prone to a LOT of wear and tear... The D-ring has much less area for wear since sand can't catch in it as easily.  i.e. Blows right through. D-RING EXPLAINED

The Anakin saber had a closed switch box and clamping band.  This part seemed a bit flashy to me, and could easily break. Obi wan had to use what was available to him to keep the saber up to par.  So he replaced the clamp collar and lever with available parts. This made the saber easier to field strip, should sand get into it and muck up the inner mechanics, and electronics.  CLAMP EXPLAINED

The Anakin Saber's Copper/Gold buttons probably wore out. Leaving Obi Wan with no choice but to change them out.  ANY switch will wear out over time. Even Blade width and length adjustors.  Once again direct replacement parts probably were not readily obtained, so similar scavenged parts must have been used. RED BUTTONS EXPLAINED

Anakin's saber had six grips.  These were most likely replaced after the showdown on Mustafar because they were Scorched or perhaps could have been damaged by the hostile climate of Tatooine.  Rubber DOES get brittle after losing it's moisture Content.  Perhaps as he got on in years Obi Forgot how many grips his old Apprentice had on his saber, and added an extra... Who Knows?  7 GRIPS ON ANH EXPLAINED

Anakin's saber had a stepped pommel end, for a more finished look.  Perhaps the original rear casing was damaged and needed replaced at some point.  Perhaps to allow better fitment of a D-Ring? Therefore the change in appearance. POMMEL END EXPLAINED

The Rabbit ears on Anakin's saber appear to not connect to the emitter matrix retention ring.  Perhaps the emitter matrix suffered some damage and had to be retrofitted with hand made parts.  Once again, a parts availability issue.  BUNNY EARS EXPLAINED

Anakin's Saber had an electrum switchplate,  Perhaps this was damaged or wore out over the 18 or so years of non use or Desert climate issues.  Perhaps Obi-Wan needed a better way to seal the activator? BUBBLE STRIP EXPLAINED

Anakin's Blade was a DEEPER Blue.  Perhaps the Crystal wore out, or was changed somehow during the battle on Mustafar.  Or we can use the Desert Climate for an example here.  Perhaps the contacts inside the saber had corroded, changing their effectiveness and performance?  CYAN BLADE COLOR EXPLAINED.

And for the FINAL Explanation:

The Bottom line about the changes?  COPYRIGHT PROTECTION!  You see, Lucasfilm CANNOT copyright the GRAFLEX based hilt as his own, EVEN WITH the changes to make it a lightsaber.  The rights to that flash are Still Owned by Graflex (They make Night vision e-scopes for Tanks now!).

If he makes significant changes to the design, and changes the outward appearance of the body itself. It becomes HIS design.  Therefor he has legal recourse if someone copies it...  It's as simple as that.

EVERY saber in the PT is covered by this Copyright, as intellectual property.

This is why the Obi Wan ANH is such a grey area.  AND the reason for the changes to its design as well for ROTS.

PLUS a custom designed hilt was probably FAR more cost effective to make a few copies of and just put them through their paces.  A Graflex on set would be a NIGHTMARE to deal with for duelling shoots. Plus that is extra Labor hours paid at UNION wages for a props master to take extra time every shoot to make sure the hilt is serviceable...

I suppose you have to look at this from the perspective of a SABERSMITh, to be able to envision the STORY explanation, by using a knowledge of electro-mechanical limitatio0ns, and need for service on a weapon.

Well, I thought i new alot about star wars. Now im blown away lol.
It's 120 parsecs to coruscant. We have a full power cell, 2 droids, it's deep space and we have our blast shields down. Hit it.
Yub Nub

Offline Firith Tar

• TWI'LEK SCHOLAR OF THE BLADE
  • Master Force User
  • Parting the clouds, seeking the way...
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »
You will find that Darth Tyranus holds much knowledge... in time you will call him master  ;D
There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out

Offline Tulak Hord

• Force User
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »
You will find that Darth Tyranus holds much knowledge... in time you will call him master  ;D

I barely kno him. I cant call him master... yet. lol
Yub Nub

retrousse