fiduciary

Author Topic: Grayven's MR FX Lightsaber Construction set (Joe Jedi) review ( pics Update)  (Read 96494 times)

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• formerly known as Grayven
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have recently struck a deal with empire
FX Lightsaber construction set also known as Joe Jedi.

I was really excited about this when MR announced it I think last year. Before I got my first MR FX I had the Hasbro version of this. The Hasbro was loose and of coarse toyish. However this saber is allot better than that. The parts fit very well and tight. It's definitely not as loose as I expected. There is a little movement between the pieces but not much. When put together with the five different pieces it takes to make a complete saber, it actually feels quite good in the hand. Spins well too. The core component fits just perfectly into a 1.5" sink tube, which is good for building your own hilt and slipping this into it;).

The three emitters are all made of metal as well as the pommels. However the rest of the parts are plastic.
They use a color code for helping users to put it together. There are two slots that run the length of the core one with a blue dot. All the other pieces have to two keys’ that fit into the slots on the core component. One of which is painted Blue.

The other color code they use is on the other pieces (beside the emitter and the pommel) the front piece has a green ring the switch section has a red ring and the grip section has a Yellow ring. I have not tried using parts out of order yet but will try that later.

There is a switch that needs to be set before all the pieces are put on and that is the RBG switch, which picks the color and sound of the saber. R gives you a Red blade with the MR FX sith sound and single clash, where the G Green blade and B Blue Blade both gives the MR FX Jedi Sound with the three clash sounds.

The switch is a push on and push off type switch (Not momentary). I really like they way did the switch on this thing. The activator reseats into the core and the three different switch plates that are used have their own springs and act more like momentary switches. When pushed it pushes down the plunger turning on the unit and the separating from the switch in the core. When pushed again pushes down the plunger again turning off the core and again separating from the core switch. It works well.

Modified
I forgot to mention that it does not come with a stand

I have not taken it apart yet to see what type of LED's it uses but it's not bad for lighting up the blade. It's not as bright as the LED strip but it will do for now.

In short I like this saber. It’s not my favorite but I’m glade it’s in my collection.

Now for the pics.
Pics where taken durring day inside with windows open. I will try and do a update later when I can take some pics at night.

showing color code

Modified 10/15
Added blade pics at night

In the next series of pic I did a compairison of three saber blade brightness at night in a dark room. Also note the short blade on the FX construction lightsaber.

order of blade pics
Top) FX construction lightsaber
Middle) MR FX Vader ESB
bottom) Fan built LUX lll White with red filter and Ultrafiber Blade

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:55:54 AM by Grayven »

All good is just as flawed as all bad. True power lies somewhere in between.
I like spaghetti, You like spaghetti? If so check out the spaghetti party over at judgesabersmith.com

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
Re: Grayven's MR FX Lightsaber Construction set (Joe Jedi) review
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »
That black emitter is a Vader ROTJ! I wonder if that saber just never made it to production....interesting that it is in here.... Looks like the blade looks like it needs some Ultrafilm.

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
So this is the last hurrah of Master Replicas? I'm not really impressed. I agree Admiral, that blade looks pretty crappy. THe customization aspect is cool, but the components all look prett cheap and shoddy. I don't think I'll  be ordering one, but I hope you enjoy yours Grayven. That's all that really matters ;).
-Master Mac
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:01:27 PM »
 ;)

Thank you for the pics and review!!I was wondering about that one and you've answered alot of questions I had about the saber.I would think if someone bought this for the parts and made their own kind of saber and all it may be worth it for the parts and all.Just a thought. ;D

Offline Shade Valryn

• Experienced Force User
  • Sith or Jedi? I'm truly not sure...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:11:29 PM »
I think MR should have probably done a little more background on the single LED tech. as most of their fanbase who put out this much money for sabers know what to look for in an LED saber, and see that MR didn't deliver. All I'm saying is that the people who buy Force-FX are usually hardcore lol  8) and having the blade brightness as an afterthought really wasn't a smart move in my opinion.
Darth Maul Ultra FX

Also have 2 purple Minilords, one Green K2, one Royal Blue K

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »
Hey Grayven are these sabers available through anyone else besides Radioshack?

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 07:00:48 PM »
Thanks for the review.
My questions are .
Where did you get it and how much?
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 07:06:32 PM »
Kit, didn't you read all the threads on it? They are sold at Radio Shack for $100.

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
Kit

Radioshack.com
$120.00 shipped.

I like this thing and can't wait to take it apart ti see what type of LED and blade difusser they used. I will make one have a removable blade to fit in my sink tube hilts I'm going to make for it.

I like spaghetti, You like spaghetti? If so check out the spaghetti party over at judgesabersmith.com

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 07:30:56 PM »
I think MR should have probably done a little more background on the single LED tech. as most of their fanbase who put out this much money for sabers know what to look for in an LED saber, and see that MR didn't deliver. All I'm saying is that the people who buy Force-FX are usually hardcore lol  8) and having the blade brightness as an afterthought really wasn't a smart move in my opinion.

I agree with you on the blade brightness coming second not being a smart thing.

However, what everyone needs to remember is the following:

These are Radioshack Exclusives. (This means that you can only get them there)

This means that they are meant as more of a fun toy for kids to put together.

Radioshack likes toys where things can be built and to put it as MR Bryan did the other night, Radioshack likes things with batteries. These are not meant for the hardcore FX sabers owners. Hence the 99$ price tag. If they put higher quality LEDs in there the price would be WAY higher. 

Same deal applies to the C3P0 and Vader scaled helmets. Still nice, but just a mass produced, battery containing, Radioshack toy. 

Now those Radioshack laser pointers on the other hand....I'll definitely be picking one of those up (likely the Vader)

Regardless, here is the link on Radioshack's webpage for the Master Replicas™ SW-616 Star Wars Force FX Lightsaber Set
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 07:36:35 PM by BIGGS DARKLIGHTER »

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »
Kit, didn't you read all the threads on it? They are sold at Radio Shack for $100.

Yes I did read.
But as you can see he get it for $120 not $100 and at radioshack.com not in a actual Radio shack store location.
Thats what I wanted to know,thanks Grayven's ;)
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 08:00:41 PM »
Actually you can get it from your local Radio Shack store.  All you have to do is make sure the local store is a "Ship To Store" location and you can have the item shipped there for FREE.

That's what I did for Wedge, as I offered to get him the FX const. set and the Talking Helmets.
I just have to pick it up tomorrow

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
I add some pics of blade brightness at night. ;)

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
Even in darkness the blade brightness is pretty sketchy...

Offline RogueJedi

• Vagabond Master
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back!
I think the green looks ok in the dark. Bummer I was planning on picking a set up but now I won't. I think I'll save for something else.

retrousse