fiduciary

Author Topic: My Luke ESB FX Review  (Read 9626 times)

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
My Luke ESB FX Review
« on: April 18, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »
"You'll find I'm full of surprises!"

Luke Skywalker said these words in his duel with the evil Sith Lord Darth Vader on Bespin.  Thus begins my review of the Luke Skywalker The Empire Strikes Back FX Lightsaber

The Box:
Score: 8/10

Typical standard packaging for your single bladed FX sabers.  However I gave this a lower number because the inserts that are supposed to go ontop of the saber and the blade weren't in that very well, and were not tapped down like the latest releases.  That was a little disappointing there.

The Hilt:

Beautifully crafted and I love the fact that they did nail down almost every single detail from it's LE counter part.  The saber itself is pretty fat almost as fat as the Mace's but it's kind understandable for the electronics.  The saber also seems a little small for some reason.

I too gave this a slightly lower number because of the fact where they placed the on and off switch.  That I do not like at all.  I must have accidently hit the switch on because when I was placing the batteries in I saw the blade light up before I even screwed on the end cap. 

I do love though that you can see through the top between the "rabbit ears" and see the blade glowing blue when it's on.

The Blade:

Not too bad, typical standard 64 LED blade.  All though with mine I noticed a dark spot towards the top of the blade.  I tried to take a picture of it but it didn't come out so great.  I hope it's just the typical dark spot and not a blown LED.  That is why I lowered the score rating for it was because of the dark spot.

The Sounds:
Score: 4/10

Blah, typical Jedi recyled sounds but with mine they seemed VERY muffled, more so than the Mace ROTS FX saber.  I was kind of disappointed in the sounds when I first turned it on.  However the sounds do kick in in a timely manar when I twirl it or just swing it around.  I haven't tested the clashing sounds yet because I don't want to break the saber lol.

Final Thoughts
Score: 7/10

Over all I give this a 7/10.  This saber is pretty cool but it's not one I really like the most out of my collection.  I can't wait to honestly get the Luke ANH FX saber.  This saber though is pretty big as far as diameter goes and can be difficult to hold if you have small hands.  I luckly don't have small hands so I don't have to worry about it.  I also found that when spinning the saber one wrong move and you can turn it off.  Hence why I don't like the placement o the on and off switch.  Over all I am pleased though to have this extremely rare piece in my collection.  Now onto the pictures!

The Box:

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Picture

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

The Saber Revealed:

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

The Saber:

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

The Details:

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:00:46 PM by BigT1981 »

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
Re: My Luke ESB FX Review (Coming Soon)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »
It's a good saber. I enjoyed the one I had, sold it to a member here on the forum. In my opinion it's one of the nicest looking hilts (even though it's oversized) out there.
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Darth Bane

• Experienced Force User
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Bane
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 05:33:06 PM »
it is a good saber i was the one that bought it from robiwon i enjoy it a lot... mostly fo display in my opinion..

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 05:36:56 PM »
 ;)Congrats bigt and I'm looking forward for them pics!!this is one that I could have had;but;was just dumb thinking that this and anakin's rots was the same saber!!Now that was a few years ago;and;I did not know anything about sabers!!I will make it up with a graflix esb saber that I'm buying from master yoda for my birthday lol!! :o

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 06:00:36 PM »
Well I didn't get it today so hopefully tomorrow I'll get it.  Either way I can't wait to get it!

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
Re: My Luke ESB FX Review
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 01:43:19 PM »
First post updated with review and pictures!

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 03:11:30 PM »
very good review there bigT.

could you do a comparison shot with your other FXs?

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
Well the thing is I have my other FX sabers packed up (even repacked the Luke ESB) since my parents and I are moving up to Salt Lake City on May 5th.  I hate having to retake them out of their boxes then packing them up again.  If you can maybe wait until after May 5th I'll take single indivual shots of the sabers then combining those single shots as one whole pic using photoshop. 

So ya if you don't mind waiting until after the 5th of May I'll do that.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 04:40:53 PM »
 ;DNice saber and review with pics big t!! :o

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 05:46:50 PM »
Well the thing is I have my other FX sabers packed up (even repacked the Luke ESB) since my parents and I are moving up to Salt Lake City on May 5th.  I hate having to retake them out of their boxes then packing them up again.  If you can maybe wait until after May 5th I'll take single indivual shots of the sabers then combining those single shots as one whole pic using photoshop. 

So ya if you don't mind waiting until after the 5th of May I'll do that.

okies, fine with me  :)

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
;DNice saber and review with pics big t!! :o

Thanks Dajo. :)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 06:36:24 PM »
 :-\Not to change the subject here;but;does anyone know if the luke anh saber have the same on/off switch that the luke esb has??I was just wondering. ;D

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 06:50:13 PM »
:-\Not to change the subject here;but;does anyone know if the luke anh saber have the same on/off switch that the luke esb has??I was just wondering. ;D

No. It's on/off switch is in the same place as the Vader ESB ANH. You slide the bubble strip up on the control box to turn it on.   8)

I hate the Luke ESB...because I had two of them go bad on me without me even doing anything to them. One went dead (Wouldn't power on at all no matter what I did) and the other one developed several blown LED's in the blade.

If I were you BigT1981....If it works, I would put it behind glass and not touch it. To this day, I wouldn't take a Luke ESB if someone gave it to me for free. And that's no joke.

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 07:06:07 PM »
I have no plans on dueling with this saber or messing around with it what so ever.  It will probably stay either displayed on a stand with out any batteries in it or just back in it's box.

I know how fragile this saber can be from reading not only your report but others as well.

Here's hoping that MR re-releases this saber with the current technology for ESB's Anniversary, hehe.

retrousse