fiduciary

Author Topic: Jedi Farmboy's Obi-Wan Kenobi Review  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
Jedi Farmboy's Obi-Wan Kenobi Review
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:18:46 AM »
For more than a thousand generations the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy. This is the weapon that saw the end of that civilization. This weapon belongs to one of the greatest warriors in a galaxy of old, and to one of the wisest Jedi on a council of his kind. This is Master Obi-wan Kenobi's lightsaber, and you can some it up in his own words; an elegant weapon.

The hilt.

I wasn't surprised at the weight of this saber, you can tell just by looking that it is solid and well put together. It's weight is not unwieldy, but rather holds a strength and durability behind it. The balance lies on the rim of the gold section, which is perfect for spinning, but I fear will lead to the gold being rubbed away, so for the moment I am holding it with my upper hand on the black "grenade grip".

Although this saber shares the shape of the Luke ROTJ, once you hold it you realise they are a world apart. This grip is smooth and comfortable, with the feel of cold steel beneath your palms. The ridged black grip toward the bottom of the hilt is also extremely comfortable and offers variation in texture. The level of detail screams out quality, from the famous holes around the emmitter to every groove and screw next to the activation switch. Which havin mentioned, is a touch the Anakin and Luke ROTJ sorely missed, when you use this switch, it feels the way a lightsaber should, and it is amazing how simply moving the switch to the correct place on the control box makes the usability of this saber so much more enjoyable.

I have a tiny nick in the black paint on the bottom black section, and a pinprick of metal can be seen through. I will not be sending this back for replacement as it is not something that wouldnt have happeneded through my normal use of this saber throughout it's lifetime ( I expect it to be a little more beaten up sooner or later as I use all my FX's for display and dueling purposes )
Overall the hilt is nothing short of beautiful, it has a truely elegant finish which is very impressive in person.

The blade

I am going to be honest here. My Anakin blade is better than my Obi-wan. I've always suspected I received a top-end Anakin blade and when I activated my Obi-wan it was confirmed. On my Anakin you can not see a single Led distinguished from any other, it is just a smooth blue light. This is not to say my Obi-wan has a bad blade. FAR from it, my Obi-wan blade is stunning too, but bery occasionally you will be able to see the LED'S faintly all the way up the blade, and the dark spot can be seen (though not noticably. The Obi-wan and Anakin are EQUAL brightness.
I had half suspected this would be the case, and was not dissapointed.

The Obi-Wan on my wall...

With fully lit room, more realistic exposure.

In a dark room to compare

To conclude

This is my new favourite Lightsaber. The quality is astounding and just the feel of this FX is perfect in the hand. Don't be put off by the above comments about the blade, it clearly a very good blade, I was just lucky with my Anakin. I was on the edge between this and the Mace Windu for a long while and for any one in the same position I was I'll say this; MR FX's are only improving, and the Obi-wan is a testiment to the climbing quality of these superb products. This is a flawless lightsaber and a platinum addition to any saber collection.

9.5 out of 10

Pictures to come ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:52:34 PM by Jedi Farmboy »
"...the galaxy was littered with the body parts of those
who had underestimated the strength of Luke Skywalker."

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Offline Ulic Qel-Droma

• Experienced Force User
Re: Jedi Farmboy's Obi-Wan Kenobi Review
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:48:45 AM »
Great review JF!

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 02:31:06 PM »
Few pics are up :)

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »
excellent review
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »
Most impressive, great review  :o

Offline Ryoji

• No Force
  • I just went to order my twisty cone & I missed it!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »
Glad you finally got it and enjoy it.  :)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:08:09 PM »
Great review jedifarmboy!! I really love this saber as well;and;I must say it sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with this saber haha.DaJoQuim

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 10:27:08 AM »
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I just bought higher end batteries for all of my sabers (the slightly cheaper ones were on offer so I used tose for a little while) and it is even brighter than before! I can no longer see the Led's running up the blade which is a very nice bonus. Its still the same brightness as my Anakin though.

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Offline Cyano Khaar

• Experienced Force User
  • Feel the Force
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
Do the Anakin and Obi-Wan have the exact same blue colour? I always thought it would be cool if Anakins was a lighter blue and Obi-Wans was a darker blue.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »
I think that the obi-wan has a darker blue than the anakin. DaJoQuim

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 10:13:35 AM »
The Obi-Wan has a lighter blue than Anakin's Cobalt blue to my eyes, and I must have had a crappy Anakin because my Obi-Wan crushed the Anakin in brightness and was far more blotch free as well. It was the main reason that I sold my Anakin ROTS FX.

But it's apparent that blade quality of the Anakin ROTS is something of a crap shoot with apparently.

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »
My Obi-wan just came to my house and I will be allowed to put it up with my collection on my birthday this week, my wife says.

One thing I noted is the same painted on "copper look" that many people had a distaste for.  You would think that if they were taking the time to make the Gold look like Gold by giving it a Gold Plated look, they could have atleast done the same for the other part with a Copper Plated or Brass look.

The Copper Kit that you can buy for the Luke ROTJ, can that same kit be used for the Obi-wan to give it the Copper metal look?

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
PM Yoda to be sure, but I think the biggest copper piece will indeed work on the Obi-Wan. I seem to remember others doing this to theirs, but like I said PM Yoda to be sure.  ;)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
Re:Master Yoda your input?
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
Master Yoda, I was wondering your input about this, since it has to do with this thread.  Is the copper kit that is sold in the store for the Luke ROTJ FX compatible with the Obi-wan so we can get rid of the "copper pain" look above the gold plated portion of the hilt.

Thank you.   :D

Offline SAESEE TIIN

• Formerly known as Lazbum
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I wish I had quotes as cool as Admiral Ackbar!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 11:41:17 PM »
Awhile back Equinox posted some pictures of his Obi-saber with the copper upgrade, so it does work.  If you go through the posts on their profile page, you might still be able to see the pictures.

Thanks to Darth Nerdold for the sig!
Proud Owner of a Graflex V from Yoda!

retrousse