fiduciary

Author Topic: Igniter 2â„¢ has arrived!  (Read 4098 times)

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
Igniter 2â„¢ has arrived!
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »

Petite in size, immense in impact

The next step in sound board evolution is here; after many successful releases with the Igniterâ„¢ and Igniter Miniâ„¢ platforms spanning five releases, it is time to unveil the next iteration in the Igniterâ„¢ line:

Introducing Igniter 2â„¢

Igniter 2â„¢ has been built from the ground up, taking all the learnings of the past Igniterâ„¢ boards and rolling it up into one package that will rock the saber world. There were many hardware and firmware upgrades to make this release possible. Below I summarize the changes, and have included a video for each high-level change. Since I waited to release on FX until the videos were done (to take the nice clickable screenshot), I went ahead and put all the videos in today, thus giving a sneak peak into apps before the public announce on Youtube.

Hardware

As seen from the picture, the hardware has been completely redesigned. The following changes have been made:
    *Integrated MaxAmp(TM) - now the loud and clear 2.4w amp is available without a separate board
    *6 degrees of freedom - the board is equipped with a 3-axis gyro and 3-axis accelerometer. Say bye-bye to the off-board clash sensor, and hello to better motion.
    *Spring-loaded push-push type micro SD card locks card into place, no more tugging on card to remove it.
    *Easy-soldering pads for main features, medium pads for more advanced features (still on edge of board). No more soldering mid board or to random components.
    *Even smaller size: 2.07" (L) x 0.85" (W) x 0.23" (H) with TruDriveâ„¢ attached, 1.75" (L) with TruDriveâ„¢ removed.

Above is a picture of all three generations of Igniterâ„¢ side-by-side. You can see the obvious length differences. The second picture is Igniter Miniâ„¢ next to Igniter 2â„¢. Here you can see the 0.93" width vs. the 0.85" width... in practice this makes a big difference (Igniter 2â„¢ fits inside the Duke with no mods).

Motion Enhancements

With the new sensor, the following improvements are apparent:
    *SaberSenseâ„¢ - perfect motion tracking for every swing.
    *Clashes without limitations - no external sensor and clashes have sensitivity adjustments.
    *Swing/Slash definition improved; completely natural to trigger one vs. the other.

Motion is too good to just explain, you need to see it to understand...

Improvements

Some improvements were made to the basic firmware. These improvements are:

*Classic Aux button hold functionality from R4 previous restored, while holding aux and twisting still performs MultiPhaseâ„¢
    *Low power mode to turn off accents/motion when in idle (helps to conserve power at cons).
    *ActionStart - perform the DualPhase
TM motion to start the saber from idle.
*Saber Cinemaâ„¢ improvement - /tracks folder is now on the root, so all tracks are accessible from each font. TrackStart (trckStrt) Config Editor parameter allows the starting font to be set for each font, allowing some configuration per font.
*Config value to swap buttons, allowing configurability between main and aux button on a control box.
[/list]

Saber Appsâ„¢

If all of the above wasn't enough, Naigon's Electronic Creations is pleased to be the first company to bring you Saber Appsâ„¢. Saber Appsâ„¢ is the first mini OS that is able to load many different applications on one saber. From configuration to utilities to even games, Saber Appsâ„¢ allows an infinite amount of experiences possible in the saber.

Currently there are 6 apps; ColorEditor, MotionEditor, Saber Saysâ„¢, Spark Colorâ„¢, Spark Colorset Editor, and Igniterâ„¢. Yes that is right; you can use both Spark Colorâ„¢ and Igniterâ„¢ on the same board!

Saber Saysâ„¢ is also a great experience, as it is the world's first game on a saber. Challenge your friends or beat your own high score in this saber-ized spin on the classic MB memory game.

And if all that wasn't enough, now new apps and firmware updates can be loaded by simply switching out the micro SD card; no send ins required (unless of course the loading app changes, then a send in would be required).

When will it be ready?
Expect my site to be updated within a week. Be patient as I still need to finish bundling up the Config Editor and am waiting for new micro SD cards to come in.

What about Spark Colorâ„¢ and Sparkâ„¢?
To allow Spark Color 2â„¢ to run as an app in Saber Appsâ„¢, I pretty much have that board ready to go as well. I'll be posting the announce for that soon; stay tuned.

As for Sparkâ„¢, I'll be releasing more on that as well once I finalize the plans of it.

This is too awesome, what's the catch!?
The only downside to the new board is that the cost of manufacture is slightly more, so the price has increased slightly as well (TBD, ~ 10 bucks more). However with all the new improvements the new board is definitely worth it. I also hope to be able to offer package discounts in the future, but I need to figure out how to setup my site for this so it may take some time to get implemented.

Godspeed, and MTFBWY!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:50:19 AM by naigon »
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
Re: Igniter 2â„¢ has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
those are some really great improvements.  :D
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
Definitely excited to see this baby in action!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »
 8)

Sounds good.

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:41:16 PM »
Looking forward to wiring mine up and taking it for a spin!

Great job to the boys at NECâ„¢.  You've really outdone yourselves.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Sith Emperor

• Padawan Learner
  • Let the hate flow through you!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »
Nice work.
This looks pretty awesome

Offline jedirobe

• Experienced Force User
  • ".......There is no try"
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »
Can't wait to get one!

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes......I will do what I must"

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 06:39:57 AM »
Ill be trying this board out for sure. Good job integrating the Max Amp on to the board!

retrousse