fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber Flashlight  (Read 788 times)

Offline ViperR

• Padawan Learner
  • Hey all
Saber Flashlight
« on: May 08, 2023, 03:00:41 PM »
Hey all,
  Not sure if this is the correct place to ask these questions, but here goes:
  I have some leftover saber hilt parts that I want to make a cool flashlight out of. I have a Luxdrive RGB star that I want to wire up using all three LED's for white. This will be powered with four AAA's 6v, proper resistors and a AV latching switch. Also a heatsink and a lens.
  Simple set up like a stunt saber, but would like to know any downsides or tips. Like, battery drain (regular Alkalines), heat, burning out the LED's, etc.
  Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
Re: Saber Flashlight
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 03:27:30 PM »
I doubt the batteries would last for any real length of time. Also, 3 AAA don’t really have enough output to power three LEDs.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 11:29:30 PM »
Hey all,
  Not sure if this is the correct place to ask these questions, but here goes:
  I have some leftover saber hilt parts that I want to make a cool flashlight out of. I have a Luxdrive RGB star that I want to wire up using all three LED's for white. This will be powered with four AAA's 6v, proper resistors and a AV latching switch. Also a heatsink and a lens.
  Simple set up like a stunt saber, but would like to know any downsides or tips. Like, battery drain (regular Alkalines), heat, burning out the LED's, etc.
  Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

flashlights should use a buck (boost) regulator, and a 18650 (or at least a 14500) li-ion cell for powering. The regulator / power converter will take advantage of the whole life of the battery run time even when Vcell < Vf led(s). Of course, leds Vf should be identical, but you could just fake it by adding a sole / heel diode to the red to make R/G/B virtually equal in terms of Vf. Your white will be most likely not even and probably redish but it's a scifi flashlight so... it can be anything

Offline ViperR

• Padawan Learner
  • Hey all
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 02:11:47 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. The power will be four AAA's 6 volts as I stated above. But, you both pointed me in the right direction and will scrap the RGB star and use a single cool white instead. I made the mistake a couple of years ago and took a chance for one of UltraSabers $75 Mystery Box and was rewarded with what had to be their cheapest hilt they had. Just an aluminum one piece tube with some machining ribs on it. Really ugly. On-off switch, single blue star, no sound, four AAA 6 volt battery holder. Basic stunt saber. So, I turned it into a flashlight by replacing the blue with a single white star, soldered in the correct resistor. Fairly good flashlight and the batteries are still lasting, so I'll go that route instead of all the things I'd have to do using an RGB.
The UltraSabers hilt I received was the Aeon LE V2 and the only good was a usable blade, tip and a quad wrap.

Offline ViperR

• Padawan Learner
  • Hey all
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 03:24:19 PM »
Here is the UltraSabers crap I got compared to the one I want to make a flashlight out of. I gave my son the Ultra to keep in his tool box. Just waiting on a switch from TCSS along with items for another build. Which flashlight would you prefer?

Offline ViperR

• Padawan Learner
  • Hey all
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 04:29:31 PM »
Ok, finished the Luke ROTJ flashlight and turned out rather nicely.
Cree XP-E2 6500 cool white with a 2.2 olm 5w resistor for the full @ 1500 mA use on a 4-cell AAA 6v Alkaline pack. If I went with a 3.3 olm 5w resistor, I would have gotten only 85% @ 1000 mA. 16mm latching switch and is bright as can be. Upper switch is just for show, since the hole has been reamed, but inert.
With a stand I made from a $3 RC boat stand and molded in a Disney Star Wars Rebel Alliance Pin Trading we got at Epcot years ago.
He can put in my TCSS Photon Green wrapped blade with PG reflective blade tip and use it as a stunt saber with his friends and their lame ones. I'm sure they will want me to upgrade theirs, which I'm more than glad to do.

retrousse