fiduciary

Author Topic: ~Windu's Review of Luke Skywalker ESB Force FX Lightsaber (2004)~  (Read 6368 times)

Offline TheNewWinduMaster

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Luke Skywalker the Empire Strikes Back Force FX Lightsaber (2004)

Luke Skywalker-

Luke Skywalker made a slight new change on his lightsaber from episode 4 (ANH) to episode 5 (ESB). He changed the switch from the side of the saber to right below the bunny ears of the hilt. A new strip of a design was inserted, and the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker had gone to the Dagobah system to start his training to become a Jedi Master. He trained under Yoda, the most illustrious Jedi Master of all time.

http://imageshack.us][/URL]

The Review:

When I first found out about this lightsaber coming out, I got extremely excited. When I was a teen growing up with Episode 5 I always thought Luke was the coolest. I also liked his lightsaber. And when winter came of 2004 this saber came out. I quickly ordered it from Master Replicas and in came the box. I was very excited, so I ripped right into the package.

The Hilt:

The hilt is amazing. When I got it, it was a dull chrome which was great for me. But I told myself it would look nicer with a more chrome look. I polished the entire saber and got a more chrome look.

The hilt of this lightsaber is a great design. The emitter is guarded by a sall little circular chrome piece surrounded by the top part of the hilt which curves around. It truly is gorgeous. The rubber grips at the bottom add a great touch, and they aren't too big which means the saber isn't cluttered. The more polished metal piece after the rubber part is a great compliment to the rest of the saber. The small box on that part of the saber is a great design, and the design where the old switch was looks fantastic. The colors on it match the saber perfectly. The clip is perfect as well. The switch to turn it on can be a hassle though. When dueling, it may turn on and off. The maroon color on the top of the switch is a great effect and does not ruin the overall look. The small little bronze screws in the depressed area are a great addition and make the saber look great. The bunny ears are a little too polished, but they look good and give the hilt depth. The hilt is much larger though than the LE, but it still isn't too big. The battery compartment holds 6 batteries, so that does add a small amount of weight. But the cap to the batteries can be a pain to get open because it is so small. But the hilt was done correctly.

9.5/10

The sound:

Ehh. The sound on this saber doesen't do it for me. It's not very loud, but the sound is clear with no static. If you are going to be watching TV when this saber is on, chances are it won't be loud. If you are dueling at night outside it is a comfortable noise. The clash sounds on this are the same as the other models, but I don't mind. The saber does have to be hit with force for the noise to be sounded, but it is pretty sturdy.

6.8/10

The blade:

Ahh, My favorite. When I turned on the saber with Energizer Titaniums the blade illuminated a bright deep sky blue. I believe the blade on this saber is the best one yet. There is virtually NO dark spots at all, and I've been dueling with this saber for over a year and a half. I've dueled light with it and have had no problems at all. The blade on this saber can take some hits. The deep blue glow is perfect, and matches the movie with perfection. It is very bright, and in my opinion, brighter than the Anakin ROTS. When I use this saber to duel against the Vader ESB I feel like the colors match up perfectly and the deep blue compliments the deep red. The blue isn't too dark though. It's at a perfect color, but if it was any darker it would be too deep of a blue.

10/10

Overall:

This lightsaber is amazing. The blade glows perfectly, and the hilt has a very good feel to it. Although, the sound could be a little louder and the switch could be sturdier. The brightness is exceptionally high, and in darkness this saber looks very realistic. It can take a pretty hard beating. Master Replicas did an exceptionally good job on the hilt. The aluminum is high quality and the saber was made with care. The colors for the additional designs are perfect for the saber and don't make it look too ostentacious or flashy. The dark maroon on the on/off switch is a great color. The strip on the old on/off switch has a great and clear design printed on it. The small little screws add a good depth feeling to it, making it more stlyed than plain. The clip was polished throughout it's entirety, it wasn't just polished on the side that's visible. The size of the hilt is pretty large, but it is great for dueling because it isn't very heavy. This lightsaber is the true weapon of a jedi.

9.3/10

Now, for pics with the saber on:

In a room with all lights on:

In a room with a small lamp on:

In a room of darkness:

Hope you enjoyed the review!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 11:27:54 PM by TheNewWinduMaster »
"The abilitiy to destroy a planet is insignificant to the power of the force."- Sith Lord Darth Vader, Ep IV

"When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."- Sith lord Darth Vader, Ep IV.

"In the name of the Imperial Galactic Senate, you are under arrest."- Jedi Master Mace Windu, Ep III

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
Re: ~Windu's Review of Luke Skywalker ESB Force FX Lightsaber (2004)~
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 03:52:38 AM »
good review

i had a bad experience with an ebay bought ESB which had a duff LED.  i liked the colour but found the hilt, way too large (i already had an anakin and a vader esb).  also the sounds were really quite quiet.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 04:13:52 AM »
You must have gotten a truly good one there TNWM. I had bought two second hand and they went to crap on me within 24 hours and I never dueled with them nor was I rough on them at all. I am glad that you like yours, however, I will NEVER EVER buy another one again. Even if it is in an un-opened box.

Nice review, BTW.  :)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline TheNewWinduMaster

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:20:43 AM »
Thanks guys! Yeah, I always get lucky with my lightsabers. My Luke ESB has actually taken one or two hard hits with no malfunctions at all.
"The abilitiy to destroy a planet is insignificant to the power of the force."- Sith Lord Darth Vader, Ep IV

"When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."- Sith lord Darth Vader, Ep IV.

"In the name of the Imperial Galactic Senate, you are under arrest."- Jedi Master Mace Windu, Ep III

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:04:46 AM »
I got lucky with my Luke ESB too. £50 from ebay and no problems at all.  :)
This seems to be a controversial saber though, you either love it or hate it. I love it. The colour of the blade is what does it more than anything for me. A beautiful, briight sky blue reminiscent of Luke's saber in Empire Strikes Back. It just seems to be the right colour for a lightsaber.  :o
I love the hilt too, the oversized graflex feels good in the hand, and the lack of Ani ROTS type flash makes it look more OT and realistic.
I don't have any problems spinning with the Luke, but would not duel with it just because of all the horror stories I have heard about duff LEDs.
The sounds may be a little quiet but I can forgive it that on the strength of it's other features.

Good choice of saber, TheNewWinduMaster, and a nice polishing job too. I would not polish mine as I prefer the dull, machined look of it as it is, but it does look more spectacular with a bit of gleam to it.  :o

One thing you didn't mention is how the blade is visible through the hilt, near the emmiter. I love this feature of the Luke ESB, it makes it seem even more real to me for some reason.  :)

retrousse