fiduciary

Author Topic: Luke Black Series ROTJ FX Lightsaber Conversion  (Read 5344 times)

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
Luke Black Series ROTJ FX Lightsaber Conversion
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »
Hey all again. Been spamming these conversions lately for the Black Series FX Lightsabers.
This is too much fun.
Picked this up at GameStop yesterday for $100, with the sole purpose of converting it.
I am not a fan of the thick neck, but the hilt feels very solid and comfortable.

So first of all, ignore all previous MR conversion guides
This one is different, in an easy way.

First of all, remove the card thing. It's actually glued on, so it comes on fairly easy.

Then remove the these two screws

The top part then comes off, and you see this

Remove the switch, and either clip the wires or desolder them (I mark mine with sharpie so I know where they go when putting it back together)
Then the part where the switch was held should just come out without any effort

Remove the screw, and the housing should come out (Careful with the arrows, they fall out, like mine)
Now, twist the blade and push down (Of course, you should have removed the pommel and battery back)
It should slide out pretty easily with minimal force. Just make sure you first twist the blade.
Now, you need to punch out these two pins

This was relatively easier than the other sabers I've done

Now comes, the most annoying part of this conversion.
At first, I messed up. I pulled the wires out from the speaker/battery contacts.
You need to pry open the casing. I went with a flat-head opening the seams. It's challenging, but take it slow.
Don't underestimate this part, it truly is pretty difficult.

As I said before, I broke off the power/speaker wires, and soldered them back from an image I found. Here's what I have wired correctly, along with the wiring for the LED conversion part

I should be getting my parts for the actual conversion soon, but all the preliminary stuff is done for now.
I'm using a Green Cree XPE-2, TCSS Heatsink 1", Thermal Paste, Lens Holder, 8.7 Degree Lens

I am sure I'll have to modify the annoying blade holder to fit the module, but that is for another day

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
Re: Luke Black Series ROTJ FX Lightsaber Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
I'm in a bind. After wiring everything up, the saber powers up but instantly shuts off.
I'm guessing that the Triple A's (x3) setup doesn't provide enough juice to power the LED or the soundboard.
Can I be correct of this assumption? :cry:

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
I'm in a bind. After wiring everything up, the saber powers up but instantly shuts off.
I'm guessing that the Triple A's (x3) setup doesn't provide enough juice to power the LED or the soundboard.
Can I be correct of this assumption? :cry:

No, that's not it. You have your activation pads bridged somehow, or your battery pads bridged. Something is cutting the power.

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
I've tried rewiring everything. I made sure nothing was bridged or anything.
The saber powers up and function, but the LED does not. I'd desoldered it, and checked if it worked and it still does.

The saber sound works, but then LED turns on for a split second and off
          Same when the I turn the saber off (LED on for a split second and off)  :cry:

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
If you post wiring pics that could be helpful. But with standard conversions, the stock batteries will power the LED just fine.

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
I also had to rewire the power/battery back thing since I needed to shorten it, so the board and led housing could fit

Offline HairbrushHeroes

• No Force
  • A Long Time fan of Star Wars, and a Ne
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this guide! I picked mine up a couple days ago and have been upset by the lack of tutorials on the web! If you don;t mind me asking, what parts did you use to convert is? Did you just use The Custom Saber Shop's Master Replica's Luke ROTJ Conversion Kit?

retrousse