fiduciary

Author Topic: Adding electronics to a Roman Mk1  (Read 607 times)

Offline Greebly One

• No Force
  • I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid
    • ForemastJack Creations
Adding electronics to a Roman Mk1
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Hi there,

Over the holidays I acquired one of Roman's gorgeous weathered Mk1s, with the FX cage.

I have been studying basic electronics, and have ripped the guts out of a Bladebuilders Obi Wan toy I got online for cheap.

My intention is to gradually upgrade, in a piecemeal fashion until I get something I am happy with. While my first phase is simply to get the basic (toy) soundboard functional, I do intend to eventually upgrade to a more sophisticated, programmable board that can support neo-pixels.

My first challenge is to get the simple PCB to accept the following upgrades:

*Power from an 18650 battery (I intend on using the type that can be removed and plugged directly into a USB mini B phone charger) not impossible, it was built to accept 4.5V from 3x AAA batteries. DONE

*Combining the impact sensor with an aux switch (easy peasy) DONE

*upgrading the speaker (also easy)

*swapping the LED out for both a tri-cre and a second one for a crystal (I'm going to have dive into the resistors soldered to the board for this one, so that will be a challenge)

*Making the grenade and balance pipe detachable for the crystal reveal (there are methods that involve an 1/8" audio plug I'm looking at)

In the course of this project so far, I've dabbled with 3D printing, but I find myself gravitating to the more machined/handmade aesthetic that Master YODA does so well.

I love this forum so far, there is a wealth of information here, and I have a feeling most of the questions I'm going to have will have already been answered somewhere in here.

I'm probably going to post WIP pics too... this seems to be the best place to show my work, considering my n00b status in this field.

Anyhow, cheers!

retrousse