fiduciary

Author Topic: TFU II Starkiller Concept Saber "TFU-GM" Run DEPOSIT THREAD!!!  (Read 103634 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
Re: TFU II Starkiller Concept Saber "TFU-GM" Run DEPOSIT THREAD!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »
so would it be more logical to lower the price on the Prizm version then?
if saying what you are saying is true?

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
The prices are what they are, and if a particular soundboard option "doesn't get any love", oh well. People want what they want, and apparently the best sound card option is what they want. That's usually how it works out. C:-)

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
so would it be more logical to lower the price on the Prizm version then?
if saying what you are saying is true?
Prizm parts cost will be less and a little bit less wirring I assume.
200$ already seems like a steep discount, I am sure VV speant a lot of time calculating time and cost for the run.
I have only done a few but something like a crystal chamber takes some time and care.
There is no public pricing for prizm.
But of you take into consideration public pricing for pc3.
Pc3=$130

Cf7=178$
CeX=62$
240$-130$=110$ difference in sound board.

Yet they are discount the prizm version 200$!

That's pretty generous and more then likely they are doing that to allow people on a budget to buy two, like they said.

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »
The prices are what they are, and if a particular soundboard option "doesn't get any love", oh well. People want what they want, and apparently the best sound card option is what they want. That's usually how it works out. C:-)

Definitely agree with FJK here. Its not that the price of the PRIZM is unfair, please don't think thats what I was trying to say or imply in my other comment. I was highlighting that at the price-points VV specified for the run it makes sense (in my opinion) to go with the CF version, all things considered :) I wouldn't say that the PRIZM pricing is unfair. When it comes down to it the board you choose isn't what determines the price. Even if these hilts were offered as stunts they would be over $1000. You are paying for the machining, design, research, and quality of workmanship that comes with VV products. The board is dollars and cents in the end if you ask me; thus why you save the option to save a bit at the end with your choice!

But of you take into consideration public pricing for pc3.
Pc3=$130

Cf7=178$
CeX=62$
240$-130$=110$ difference in sound board.

Yet they are discount the prizm version 200$!

That's pretty generous and more then likely they are doing that to allow people on a budget to buy two, like they said.

If you include average install costs then you see a shortening of the gap in price difference.

CFv7 ($178) + CEx ($62) + parts ($10) + install fees ($150) = $400

PRIZM (~$130) + parts ($5) + install (~$100) = $235

$400-$235 = $165 difference in cost, and a $200 discount for PRIZM - you are still getting bonus money off.

Both boards are great and are fairly priced - there is no wrong option to choose here. I think that examining the math and accounting for the overall calibre of the hilts and the nature of VV runs sheds some pretty clear light on why people are choosing CF though. The trim level isn't the bulk of the cost here, its all the aspects I mentioned above. Again, this is just my opinion and how I went about weighing the options - your mileage may vary  8)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:34:30 PM by Vercify »

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
yup, Justintmars, you did a good breakdown on the cost.

ok, Prizm is back at getting more love, LOL  :))

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
Definitely agree with FJK here. Its not that the price of the PRIZM is unfair, please don't think thats what I was trying to say or imply in my other comment. I was highlighting that at the price-points VV specified for the run it makes sense (in my opinion) to go with the CF version, all things considered :) I wouldn't say that the PRIZM pricing is unfair. When it comes down to it the board you choose isn't what determines the price. Even if these hilts were offered as stunts they would be over $1000. You are paying for the machining, design, research, and quality of workmanship that comes with VV products. The board is dollars and cents in the end if you ask me; thus why you save the option to save a bit at the end with your choice!

The difference in the boards and the difference in their pricing is one of the main factors in the pricing difference. With that said, the bottom line remains, people who tend to get in on "high end" runs, also tend to want the best sound card (and other) options available for that particular run. It's always been true of the runs I've seen and participated in. It's also a principle I "follow" when I do builds for myself or the rare commission.  ;)

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »
I was going for the Prizm at first to switch things up but then say DM post and response on the inability for a pulsing crystal chamber which is a requirement for me.  Thanks DM for the question and reminder.  I'm am intrigued by the Prizm and the ability to switch colors on the fly.  It will be in an upcoming saber of mine soon.  For now I'll stick with the power of the cf and CEX.
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »
I was going for the Prizm at first to switch things up but then say DM post and response on the inability for a pulsing crystal chamber which is a requirement for me.  Thanks DM for the question and reminder.  I'm am intrigued by the Prizm and the ability to switch colors on the fly.  It will be in an upcoming saber of mine soon.  For now I'll stick with the power of the cf and CEX.

Yup, I was slightly tempted by the price reduction of the Prizm offering, but I want the full capabilities of the accent leds of the CF.  You don't want your Amazing Crystal Chamber to be limited by the capabilities of the soundboard.  With the CF, there are no limitations!
And who knows, by the time these are ready for install maybe Erv will have implemented the color changing features of the Prizm into the CF's  ;)  I will not be disappointed either way.

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »
Just wanted to re iterate, i only posted that breakdown to show how fair the deal was, I am very certain VV took into consideration all factors for this and thought long and hard about the prices, please trust their judgement guys 

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »
It's an interesting discussion to be sure, and hours were spent arguin...er.....discussing some of those very things before we put up the list.

*Back on topic........and then there were 4 ;D

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
I am torn on the color of leather to use.  I am not a fan of the brown leather but I prefer the Trailer hilt which shows Brown leather.  If I decided to go with the brown instead of the black, it would have to be pretty weathered almost to the point of black like in the close up of the first picture of GM holding both of the sabers in front of his face.
So I guess my question is.... Would it be possible to get a weathered/dirty brown leather?

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 10:08:13 AM »
I believe that what you are seeing is shadow.  What I see is a dirty weathered leather with different shades brown, olive and tan tones.  There is some challenge involved in trying to simulate it :)).  It's going to be fun :D.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
I am torn on the color of leather to use.  I am not a fan of the brown leather but I prefer the Trailer hilt which shows Brown leather.  If I decided to go with the brown instead of the black, it would have to be pretty weathered almost to the point of black like in the close up of the first picture of GM holding both of the sabers in front of his face.
So I guess my question is.... Would it be possible to get a weathered/dirty brown leather?

This is why I got two versions, I'm very happy with the black leather wrap, but knowing myself... Later, I would kick myself for not getting the brown leather wrap. Soooooooooo, the Concept saber for Christmas dualing then the Trailer Saber for New Years kick off, lol. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:23:37 AM by Bayne-Fett »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
It will be weathered dirty brown, but it is not close to black.  It will look like it does in the Trailer pics, which is multi-toned 8).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
I would immediately jump on a second one if I could afford it right now. A pair of those would be uber-epic  8)

retrousse