fiduciary

Author Topic: A message to correct some slanderous misinformation  (Read 45691 times)

Offline Nick Knight

• Experienced Force User
Re: A message to correct some slanderous misanformation
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
I wonder if the person who originally left the negative feed back is reading all this telling his apprentice

" Good, good as the forum bickers among itself we seed hate among them. With each passing moment the little seeds of mistrust grow until no one will trust anyone and we are one step closer to bring down this community and at last we will have are revenge!"

Just a little star wars humor to lighten the mood. Please don't flame the heck out of me.  :o
"A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
"Choose what is right, not what is easy"

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
It not about the community, it's about the individual.  That how everyone should see it.  Sadly, that does not seem to be how people ARE seeing it.  What Darth Alice said is no different from leaving negative feedback in a feedback thread.

Yes - agreed - negative feedback.  But unjust negative feedback.  It is not about an individual - a community is made up of the individuals.  And it this is tolerated from an individual posting, then this reflects the community as a whole.  Truthful posts are one thing.  That post was not that.

Respectfully,
Sanjuro

Unjust? This is your opinion. Is he not entitled to his opinion? Why does 1 opinion reflect the community as a whole? This attitude only helps to promote isolation in the community. This us and them attitude is what perpetuates these negative divisions in the community. Truth? I don't remember seeing outright lies or fabrication of problems in that post. Again people should be entitled to their opinion.

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
The opinions expressed by Darth Alice in that thread are his to express.  He felt that some aspects of the build should have been done a different way and this is his choice.  Altering his thread to express an opinion that is NOT his would be even more dishonorable.

It will not be modified to express an opinion that is not true to DA's own feelings towards the work.

If leaving it there is a sign of the type of community that the IRA is, then good.  It shows that we have no problem letting people have their OWN opinion, not the opinion someone else feels they should have.

By that same token, wouldn't that imply that an individual here that feels that posts should be edited if someone has a difference of opinion, would indicate that apparently the entire community is that way? Then if that is the case, why would anyone share an opinion instead of just waiting for someone else to TELL them what their opinion should be?

Now, that being said, THIS is FX-Sabers.  THAT is the Imperial Royal Arms.  Let us all leave it that way as I said about 14 posts ago.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:09:55 PM by Keil Edge »

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
Holy mess. This has turned out quite interesting...

I personally have a VV stunt with a CS that I got a while ago. Mine also turned off with a bump to the saber. I found that it wasn't the board, it wasn't the LED, it was the battery holder. The prongs were not holding when I hit the saber on the blade, i.e. when I had a blade in it and hit the saber straight down (blade tip down) the battery moved just enough to reboot the saber. It was an easy fix to fix the prongs.

Just an extra 2 cents to add. I am sure we are up to a few dollars now though... ???

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
The opinions expressed by Darth Alice in that thread are his to express.  He felt that some aspects of the build should have been done a different way and this is his choice.

Opinions are one thing, but Darth Alice was "grabbing at straws" to find things to try and shoot down Vaders Vault's work.
The "Yellow heatshrink" comment was so over the top, it was almost funny.  The sad part is I think he was serious.

He also makes insulting remarks like "the original installer used a high tech material called aluminum furnace duct tape".  Sorry, but the way he goes about saying things is very sarcastic and disrespectful to say the least.

As for the copper end cap being used as the led holder/heatsink, I just used the same thing in three different stunt sabers I just finished for some kids in my neighborhood.  Works great.  Not sure what the problem is there.

I have owned 3 of these sabers in question and not one of them has failed on me in ANY way, shape, or form.
I will leave it at that.

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.  It should be encouraged.  In fact, a healthy discussion of different views is great.

However, what is not healthy, and biased, is implying that something is wrong just because it is different - or not the way they would do it.  I am certainly not saying anyone should not express a different opinion.  What I am saying is that expressing an opinion, and saying that other opinions are somehow wrong or incorrect, is not honorable.

This has, and always will be a community board to share ideas and helpful critiques.  Keep it so.

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »
It not about the community, it's about the individual.  That how everyone should see it.  Sadly, that does not seem to be how people ARE seeing it.  What Darth Alice said is no different from leaving negative feedback in a feedback thread.

Yes - agreed - negative feedback.  But unjust negative feedback.  It is not about an individual - a community is made up of the individuals.  And it this is tolerated from an individual posting, then this reflects the community as a whole.  Truthful posts are one thing.  That post was not that.

Respectfully,
Sanjuro

Unjust? This is your opinion. Is he not entitled to his opinion? Why does 1 opinion reflect the community as a whole? This attitude only helps to promote isolation in the community. This us and them attitude is what perpetuates these negative divisions in the community. Truth? I don't remember seeing outright lies or fabrication of problems in that post. Again people should be entitled to their opinion.

Agreed - everyone is entitled to an opinion.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There are truths, there are lies, and there is always that gray area of half truths, innuendo, and implication.  That is what I have issue with.  We as individuals make up the community.  We should all strive to present what we post in a honest manner.  Otherwise, the boards devolve into the hundreds of other boards out there in the internet.  That is why need to be careful about what, and how we post.

The fact that that post has inspired this discussion is an indication of how we need to look to ourselves to be careful as to how we post.

Again, I respect all different opinions - however the opinions should have some real facts behind them, and respect the other opinions as well.

Wouldn't we all agree?

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
The opinions expressed by Darth Alice in that thread are his to express.  He felt that some aspects of the build should have been done a different way and this is his choice.  Altering his thread to express an opinion that is NOT his would be even more dishonorable.

It will not be modified to express an opinion that is not true to DA's own feelings towards the work.

If leaving it there is a sign of the type of community that the IRA is, then good.  It shows that we have no problem letting people have their OWN opinion, not the opinion someone else feels they should have.

By that same token, wouldn't that imply that an individual here that feels that posts should be edited if someone has a difference of opinion, would indicate that apparently the entire community is that way? Then if that is the case, why would anyone share an opinion instead of just waiting for someone else to TELL them what their opinion should be?

Now, that being said, THIS is FX-Sabers.  THAT is the Imperial Royal Arms.  Let us all leave it that way as I said about 14 posts ago.

Had that been the case, that it was an honest review with no agenda, there would be no conversation about it here. 

It is a lie to assert that an aluminum heatsink is better in any way save aesthetic to a copper heatsink.  It is simply a fact that copper is the better heatsink.  Does the aluminum heatsink he replaced it with look better?  Possibly, but it is inferior in functionality.  I was not aware that heatsinks in an entry level saber should be pretty.  I am fairly certain that the majority of my customers would prefer a functional heatsink to a pretty one considering they never see the heatsink.

The aluminum tape is there to insure the heatsink stays both snug and centered.  Could it be done differently, sure.  This is an economical method which does the job and is in no way substandard.  Again, could something else be used, sure.  This is what we chose.

Heatshrink color?  Really?

Wire gauge?  That wire is imported for us and is rated at 4A plus which is far more than most ever draw from their sabers and higher than a lot of wire with a higher gauge.  Again, asserting differently is simply an untruth.

I do not object, as was said earlier, to an honest review.  However, to spread misinformation and use that misinformation as a way to attack someone, that is in poor taste.

EDIT: To add, if said forum is OK with this kind of spinning, then I am very very glad I am here at the FX-SABERs forums where we support one another and do our best to be honest and truthful.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:15:07 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Wookiee Man

• Experienced Force User
  • A.K.A Tom Cruise
Re: A message to correct some slanderous misinformation
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »
I do take issue with Darth Alice saying this
Jul 29, 2013 at 7:08am
Post by DarthAlice on Jul 29, 2013 at 7:08am
it reminds me of my 1st saber that I bought 3 yrs ago, it was an Ultasaber Prophecy stunt, and had a chrome nut hot glued into a 1" piece of blade for the heatsink with the led glued on with a mini-maglite diffuser on top....very similar quality!

The only technique they have in common, is that they are homemade.
It is my OPINION that Darth Alice's definition of quality is flawed in this instance.

references
quality - definition of quality by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and
3.b. Degree or grade of excellence

Which metal conduct heat best
A comparison of the Thermal Conductivity of several common metals (higher values indicates better heat conductivity) is shown below. Silvers is best but cost makes copper a pretty good choice:

Metal: Conductivity
Steel: 50
Brass: 109
Aluminum: 250
Gold: 310
Copper: 401
Silver: 429

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
JANGO with the "pew pew"!

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
Of course copper is the better heatsink.  As has been mentioned above, anyone who's had a science class knows that much.  Frankly, the sheer amount of surface area of the piece also helps the heat conduction.  It's just a fact; the aluminum heatsink is functionally inferior to the copper heatsink.

For the record, in all my time at Fx-Sabers, never have I had my opinion modified for me, nor have I been told what that opinion should be. 

Offline Sunrider

• Master Force User
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »
The opinions expressed by Darth Alice in that thread are his to express.  He felt that some aspects of the build should have been done a different way and this is his choice.

Opinions are one thing, but Darth Alice was "grabbing at straws" to find things to try and shoot down Vaders Vault's work.
The "Yellow heatshrink" comment was so over the top, it was almost funny.  The sad part is I think he was serious.

He also makes insulting remarks like "the original installer used a high tech material called aluminum furnace duct tape".  Sorry, but the way he goes about saying things is very sarcastic and disrespectful to say the least.

As for the copper end cap being used as the led holder/heatsink, I just used the same thing in three different stunt sabers I just finished for some kids in my neighborhood.  Works great.  Not sure what the problem is there.

I have owned 3 of these sabers in question and not one of them has failed on me in ANY way, shape, or form.
I will leave it at that.

At any rate he is still entitled to his opinion as you are yours. Even if it sounds silly to you. I see you expressing your feelings on the matter here but why not in the said thread?

Respectfully,
Sanjuro

Agreed - everyone is entitled to an opinion.  There is nothing wrong with that.  There are truths, there are lies, and there is always that gray area of half truths, innuendo, and implication.  That is what I have issue with.  We as individuals make up the community.  We should all strive to present what we post in a honest manner.  Otherwise, the boards devolve into the hundreds of other boards out there in the internet.  That is why need to be careful about what, and how we post.

The fact that that post has inspired this discussion is an indication of how we need to look to ourselves to be careful as to how we post.

Again, I respect all different opinions - however the opinions should have some real facts behind them, and respect the other opinions as well.

Wouldn't we all agree?

Respectfully,
Sanjuro

However fact filled he is still entitled to his opinion. Again I see you expressing your feelings here, but why not in said thread?

Had that been the case, that it was an honest review with no agenda, there would be no conversation about it here. 

It is a lie to assert that an aluminum heatsink is better in any way save aesthetic to a copper heatsink.  It is simply a fact that copper is the better heatsink.  Does the aluminum heatsink he replaced it with look better?  Possibly, but it is inferior in functionality.  I was not aware that heatsinks in an entry level saber should be pretty.  I am fairly certain that the majority of my customers would prefer a functional heatsink to a pretty one considering they never see the heatsink.

The aluminum tape is there to insure the heatsink stays both snug and centered.  Could it be done differently, sure.  This is an economical method which does the job and is in no way substandard.  Again, could something else be used, sure.  This is what we chose.

Heatshrink color?  Really?

Wire gauge?  That wire is imported for us and is rated at 4A plus which is far more than most ever draw from their sabers and higher than a lot of wire with a higher gauge.  Again, asserting differently is simply an untruth.

I do not object, as was said earlier, to an honest review.  However, to spread misinformation and use that misinformation as a way to attack someone, that is in poor taste.

EDIT: To add, if said forum is OK with this kind of spinning, then I am very very glad I am here at the FX-SABERs forums where we support one another and do our best to be honest and truthful.

I do take issue with Darth Alice saying this
Jul 29, 2013 at 7:08am
Post by DarthAlice on Jul 29, 2013 at 7:08am
it reminds me of my 1st saber that I bought 3 yrs ago, it was an Ultasaber Prophecy stunt, and had a chrome nut hot glued into a 1" piece of blade for the heatsink with the led glued on with a mini-maglite diffuser on top....very similar quality!

The only technique they have in common, is that they are homemade.
It is my OPINION that Darth Alice's definition of quality is flawed in this instance.

references
quality - definition of quality by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and
3.b. Degree or grade of excellence

Which metal conduct heat best
A comparison of the Thermal Conductivity of several common metals (higher values indicates better heat conductivity) is shown below. Silvers is best but cost makes copper a pretty good choice:

Metal: Conductivity
Steel: 50
Brass: 109
Aluminum: 250
Gold: 310
Copper: 401
Silver: 429

I'm not defending anything in DA's thread in any way but to make copper vs aluminum black and white is silly. Mass and thermal bond are more important factors for sinking heat. Both can work great but design is key. Material is secondary except in extreme applications. For example, most star boards are aluminum, but 40w star boards are copper.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
@ Sunrider re read my post.
DA compared a VV copper/aluminium assembly to a US polycarbonate/steel nut assembly.
He is quoted saying they are "very similar quality".
It is my opinion that he is incorrect, and the differences are "black and white"

Want to do the pepsi challenge with a direct drive tri rebel set up on a polycarbonate/steel nut assembly vs. a copper aluminium set up to see which fries the led optics and led lens first?

I'm pretty sure I'll win.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Sunrider

• Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
@ Sunrider re read my post.
DA compared a VV copper/aluminium assembly to a US polycarbonate/steel nut assembly.
He is quoted saying they are "very similar quality".
It is my opinion that he is incorrect, and the differences are "black and white"

Want to do the pepsi challenge with a direct drive tri rebel set up on a polycarbonate/steel nut assembly vs. a copper aluminium set up to see which fries the led optics and led lens first?

I'm pretty sure I'll win.

Reread my post. ;) I in no way am defending what DA said. I think the copper cap is better than the nut. You and Deanna referred to the fact and specs that copper is better than aluminum. This is not necessarily true. It depends on other factors.

retrousse