fiduciary

Author Topic: Vader's Vault Starkiller™ second run deposit thread  (Read 59821 times)

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Re: Vader's Vault Starkiller second run deposit thread
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
The size of the blade is one thing I can't quite decide on. What would everyone recommend? I don't think I'd want a 36", maybe 34"? Smaller? What is everyone else going for? MACE WINDU, what is your preferred blade size for the Starkiller?

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
Well, I think alot about how long YOU might want the blade depends on how you want to swing it around when you do.  Do you want quick slashes and be able to use it one hand, or are you more of a broadsword kind of person.  Also, how tall are you?  I am 5 foot 9 inches.  So I usually like my sabers to be a total of 42-44 inches with the blade included.  So on a 12 inch saber I go with 30 inch blades, but on a 10 inch saber I like going with 32 inch blades.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »
I'm 5 foot 9 too... Well being that this is such a nice saber it will pretty much just be for display. In saying that, I don't think I'll be able to resist swinging it around a bit :D Definitely not for dueling though. My dueling sabers are 36" and swinging them around not only hits stuff around the house, but also sometimes scuffs the floor. So yeah, they're way too big.

So it will mostly be for showing off the SK with the blade in. Doesn't the light shine better on a shorter blade being that it doesn't have to travel as far? Or is that not right?

Maybe I'll go shorter than 34 then.

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
30" Vader's Vault blade, medium weathering option,  Red Full Powah!!!!

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 04:21:41 AM »
Since I already have OSPP on my SK ver. 1 I can choose no other blade than RED!!!  I'll take HEAVY weathering (a-la cannon) however I'm torn on FOC or Full Powah.  I'm still a bit in the dark on how the different colors interact (i.e. RGBW, etc)  I assume that mans Red, Green, Blue, White?  What would you recommend for the brightest Red and still have some shimmering/FOC?  Thanks guys!

-DK

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2011, 06:15:56 AM »
If you go red with RRRR 2x2 that mean RR for main and RR for FoC.  That's what I have now.  The result is a brighter Red flash on clash.  Instead of the saber shimmering dimmer as a PC w/o FoC would do, it shimmers brighter when the other two dies come on.  Personally, if you were going red that's what I would go with.  I'd be concerned about run time with full power RRRR on all the time. Bright yes, but I dunno how long it'd run before you have to charge it for a couple of hours.

The color mixing and FoC depends on what LED you choose and what you want for the main die.  If I were to go purple for example, I'd go RGBW to have RB for Purple and GW for a greenish/white FoC.  It's a very dramatic contrast.  Same for RGGB, GG for main green blade and RB for a Purplish/white FoC.  That's a awesome effect too.  That'll be on my Qui-Gon Jin for certain.  No debate there.

RGGB can also be used for a nice Cyan bin1 color.  GB or GGB for the Cyan and R or RG for an orangish/white FoC.

Straight BBBB 2x2 wold be the same effect as the red with a brighter blue flash.  And for blade length, it will very from person to person, but keep in mind that about 1.5" goes inside the blade holder too.  I have 36" blades and I like that length, but that's personal preference.

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »
If you go red with RRRR 2x2 that mean RR for main and RR for FoC.  That's what I have now.  The result is a brighter Red flash on clash.  Instead of the saber shimmering dimmer as a PC w/o FoC would do, it shimmers brighter when the other two dies come on.  Personally, if you were going red that's what I would go with.  I'd be concerned about run time with full power RRRR on all the time. Bright yes, but I dunno how long it'd run before you have to charge it for a couple of hours.

The color mixing and FoC depends on what LED you choose and what you want for the main die.  If I were to go purple for example, I'd go RGBW to have RB for Purple and GW for a greenish/white FoC.  It's a very dramatic contrast.  Same for RGGB, GG for main green blade and RB for a Purplish/white FoC.  That's a awesome effect too.  That'll be on my Qui-Gon Jin for certain.  No debate there.

RGGB can also be used for a nice Cyan bin1 color.  GB or GGB for the Cyan and R or RG for an orangish/white FoC.

Straight BBBB 2x2 wold be the same effect as the red with a brighter blue flash.  And for blade length, it will very from person to person, but keep in mind that about 1.5" goes inside the blade holder too.  I have 36" blades and I like that length, but that's personal preference.

Thanks for that mate, very informative post. I'm sure you've helped a lot of people out here. RRRR FoC for me :D how does that look on your Starkiller nightstorm?

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
It's very cool.  A different color FoC is really neat too, but for the brightest pure red with FoC I wouldn't want to go with anything else.  It's too bad there aren't other combinations of red with two red dice, but it's nice.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
I wonder if it is possible to get different variations on red?

Such as a few months or a year ago VV had those blood red 5W LEDs that seemed to look great in one or
two sabers they made. I think they called it 'deep red'.

Perhaps there is a way to get a deep red or an orange red from an RGBA or something? Like the 'R' and the 'A' on for orangish red and the other GB for the flash?

I'm just speculating. I'm sure someone will try it sooner or later,... I know that blood red 5W looked mighty cool but that wasn't a combination color, I believe it was a single diode.

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
Yes you're right.  I have a saber done by ObiDar that's a 5w Deep red.  It is a single die but it's nice looking.  It's PC based so no FoC but it does look nice.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2011, 10:07:11 AM »
R and A produce an awesome blood orange color. I saw Jango's K3GR1 at CV last year with that and it was cool with the cyan clash.

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
Isn't there a ten watt deep red that could be used in these?

Edited for proper name, color me tired when I posted that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:43:55 AM by Drazhar »

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
R and A produce an awesome blood orange color. I saw Jango's K3GR1 at CV last year with that and it was cool with the cyan clash.

I rewired it about a month ago, and put the main R and A in parallel, and set the FoC with a proper resistor. The color is the same.
It is brighter now vs. How you saw it at Celebration 5

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »

I rewired it about a month ago, and put the main R and A in parallel, and set the FoC with a proper resistor. The color is the same.
It is brighter now vs. How you saw it at Celebration 5

Do you see much color separation since the colors are so close to begin with?  (vs red and blue for purple)

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
Nope.

If you are seeing color separation you need to reseat your optics. The dome should be covered.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

retrousse