fiduciary

Author Topic: Soresu v. Jar' Kai  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Romulus

• Experienced Force User
Re: Soresu v. Jar' Kai
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »
What you have to do is use mostly high-middle strikes such as 1,2,5,6 (if you know the 10 basic strikes), use lots of parries, and trick him with fake-outs, and you'll stand a much better chance

1. Dude.....ZOMBIE THREAD, lol.
2. What exactly do you mean "10 basic strikes"? That is WAAAAAAAY vauge and there are countless striking systems (including mine and Novastar's) that employ this.

This.

Besides, you can't "fake-out" a Force user.  ::)

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
Eh?  ???

Offline Romulus

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
Eh?  ???

He was saying use "fake-outs". If we're talking on Star Wars terms, you can't use a "fake-out" on a Jedi because they'll sense it. So why even incorporate them in a dueling style based from Star Wars?

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 07:51:12 PM »
Eh?  ???

He was saying use "fake-outs". If we're talking on Star Wars terms, you can't use a "fake-out" on a Jedi because they'll sense it. So why even incorporate them in a dueling style based from Star Wars?

Well, I can go into many a reason "why" but that's not what this thread is about and I will not thread jack...PM me and I will gladly explain.  ;)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
What you have to do is use mostly high-middle strikes such as 1,2,5,6 (if you know the 10 basic strikes), use lots of parries, and trick him with fake-outs, and you'll stand a much better chance

1. Dude.....ZOMBIE THREAD, lol.
2. What exactly do you mean "10 basic strikes"? That is WAAAAAAAY vauge and there are countless striking systems (including mine and Novastar's) that employ this.

1. LOL.  Wow.
2. Yeah...based on the classical fencing positions, strikes from positions 1 and 2 couldn't possibly be considered high attacks - they're exactly level with the blade arm.  And as far as I know, there are only eight classical positions...so specify what system you're using, please.

Offline Cryossk

• No Force
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
Use quick blocks, parry his first saber, then swing around that side to get to his back
Its a Trap!

Offline john8796

• No Force
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 01:25:46 AM »
They both have their Strengths and weaknesses but i go with Jar' Kai because of the training you would need to put into both hands due to the strength in each arm. Thus you would need to train one hand to block and one hand for an offensive blow, or switch off to master your own technique.
<><><><><>----------------------------------------

Offline cloudxen

• Experienced Force User
  • If they die, do not mourn, rejoice for their life.
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a problem when it comes down to dueling. I generally duel against my brother, who has a mongrel style involving Shien and Jar' Kai. I myself (attempt) to use Soresu, and I end up using lots of small, quick blocks and parries close to the torso. However, I really struggle stopping two blades with one. He simply locks one against my blade, and then comes in from the side with the other. I end up jumping and dodging to the side, and getting into hard to hold blocks by moving the saber too quickly. Do any saber masters out there have any tips?

Thanks.
I'm actually a practitioner of Soresu and Jar'Kai. The best way to defend the two blades is to push him away with your lightsaber.  Thats the best way to do it. Jar'Kai users have to be kept away from you because they have a bigger advantage. Also if you want to take him out keep his blades up high and when you push them away duck down and attack his torso and chest.
So, what'd I miss?

Offline Daishi

• No Force
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
congrats: JediKnight2601 you revived the thread xD, gave us about another pages worth of posts.
Good for me because I did kind of want to post on this =p

What I personally would do is make use of your free hand... its almost like going short sword vs long sword. Since he has two blades he loses some of his previous abilities that you can exploit... Learn to control one of his swords.
(id go for the off-hand because more often then not I've seen them using the off hand more defensively, which I don't quite agree with mind you but I wont get into in-depth my philosophies here xD)

if you can control one if his sabers, you can make the other one useless, lets say for example you grab one of his arms after fending off one of the sabers, if you know how to pin his arm properly, his opportunity to attack vs yours is awkward, take full advantage.

keep fighting him eventually you will evolve to combat with your style

always look at your opponent, being faced with two blades seems very scary and difficult but it has its weaknesses like other styles.

And Always control the center!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:19:24 PM by Daishi »
Want  duel? Lets Roll some dice, anyone can win. ;p

Combat tips? See my Profile in the Website URL Area of my Profile. 
(or if you are lazy =D) http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=23280.0

Closest to RL Style: Jar'Kai with some of the principles of Soresu

retrousse