fiduciary

Author Topic: First Time Saber Buyer  (Read 12458 times)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: First Time Saber Buyer
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
 8)

Good luck on your choice!!I for one just turned 55 and I carry a light saber lol.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
JQ sabers is also in Europe [UK] and like Force Relics they also do fine work and are another great choice for European saberfans.

TCSS does not produce completed sabers but they make excellent parts to build one yourself like a 'real' Jedi/Sith, if you have the knowledge to do so, or are willing to learn [the TCSS forums have excellent tutorials] and TCSS parts are used by many top pro sabersmiths - they are the 'gold standard' for saber parts.

Makoto and Parks sabers use a LED-string in blade technology similar to those used by Master Replicas/Hasbro Force-FX sabers rather than the high-power LED in hilt technology used by most custom sabersmiths nowadays. Those can be quite bright compared to FFX but are more vulnerable to damage under dueling impacts since they have components inside the blade which is why most sabersmiths now use in-hilt LEDs.

Vaders Vault, Genesis Custom Sabers [Madcow], GG/LDM are top-of-the-top among pro sabersmiths for a reason; they have pioneered many of the 'industry standards' and 'best practices' in the saber hobby/business and their sterling reputations for superlative quality and performance are well known and deserved.

There is one you have mentioned Evol that I have not..that maker also has a reputation, also for a reason, and I can say no more due to rules here but look and you will find your own answer.

One thing you should be realistically aware of is that modern LED technology cannot yet produce saber props as bright in full direct daylight bright sunlight as the depictions onscreen in movies or in videos where the physics of camera function make saber props usually appear brighter than they do to the human eye. This is not meant to discourage you at all but to inform you so that you will not be disappointed and think there is something wrong when your find your custom saber prop isn't as bright as a noonday sun in the tropics or on Tatooine. ;)

Which is a good thing really - for one of our saber props to look as bright in real life as they do in the movies on a bright Tatooine summer day they would have to be bright enough to OUTCOMPETE THE SUN's brightness which can BLIND one to look directly at eh? A saber prop 'bright enough' to do that would be TOO bright for safety [consider that the fictional lightsaber is basically a 10,000 degree hot meter-long plasma cutting torch - real world welders have to wear special dark lensed helmets to protect their eyesight from much less intense cutting torches...maybe in FICTION Jedi/Sith can somehow protect their eyes with the Force ? from their lightsabers brightness and people around they wince away from looking directly at them as IRL we do from looking at the sun but in real life an illuminated saber prop that "looks like a real one during the DAY and the night" would be DANGEROUS to oneself and bystanders even without being able to cut anything lol].

That is not to say our prop sabers cant be QUITE bright - in the decade I've been in this hobby our sabers have become MUCH brighter and the present generation of multiple-Rebel/multiple-Cree emitter stars are very very nice and bright indeed and products using them by any of the fine sabersmiths in the Guild or MC here can be MUCH brighter than the MR/Hasbro force FX sabers but PLEASE just have realistic expectations they don't/can't look like the movies in full daylight bright direct sunlight and wouldn't be safe for mere humans to own if they could.

MTFBWYA, Happy Holidays and best of luck with your choice.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:55:57 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »

One thing you should be realistically aware of is that modern LED technology cannot yet produce saber props as bright in full direct daylight bright sunlight as the depictions onscreen in movies or in videos where the physics of camera function make saber props usually appear brighter than they do to the human eye. This is not meant to discourage you at all but to inform you so that you will not be disappointed and think there is something wrong when your find your custom saber prop isn't as bright as a noonday sun in the tropics or on Tatooine. ;)

Which is a good thing really - for one of our saber props to look as bright in real life as they do in the movies on a bright Tatooine summer day they would have to be bright enough to OUTCOMPETE THE SUN's brightness which can BLIND one to look directly at eh? A saber prop 'bright enough' to do that would be TOO bright for safety [consider that the fictional lightsaber is basically a 10,000 degree hot meter-long plasma cutting torch - real world welders have to wear special dark lensed helmets to protect their eyesight from much less intense cutting torches...maybe in FICTION Jedi/Sith can somehow protect their eyes with the Force ? from their lightsabers brightness and people around they wince away from looking directly at them as IRL we do from looking at the sun but in real life an illuminated saber prop that "looks like a real one during the DAY and the night" would be DANGEROUS to oneself and bystanders even without being able to cut anything lol].

That is not to say our prop sabers cant be QUITE bright - in the decade I've been in this hobby our sabers have become MUCH brighter and the present generation of multiple-Rebel/multiple-Cree emitter stars are very very nice and bright indeed and products using them by any of the fine sabersmiths in the Guild or MC here can be MUCH brighter than the MR/Hasbro force FX sabers but PLEASE just have realistic expectations they don't/can't look like the movies in full daylight bright direct sunlight and wouldn't be safe for mere humans to own if they could.

MTFBWYA, Happy Holidays and best of luck with your choice.

^^^^^ The most important part!!
Well said, buddy

Offline Evol

• Padawan Learner
  • Rey's secret lover
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
That kind of answer is quite useless for me...

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »

Wow. He answered quite clearly IMO.

The question isn't between smiths or saber builders, it is between blade and LED technology used.
High Power LED
String Blade
Plasma
EL

Parks blades will be less bright than the others. More bright than a MR, but less than these other options. The ladder he uses in the blades he has cuts out some brightness. Depending on the String blade, and the LEDs used, they can be blindingly bright. Makoto has shown this in his revisions over the years. Slothfurnace has also made some very impressive string style blades. High Power LEDs (rebel, luxeon, etc) will be bright, but not necessarily as bright. Sunrider has done some impressive work with even higher power LEDs, but there is a cost...you need more energy, better heat regulation, etc.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:34:18 PM by Iggy »

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
Sorry,  but the laws of physics come into play here,  and no saber builder on earth can build you one bright enough to compete with the sun.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 01:14:03 AM »
*cues Queen music*

"I want it all, I want it All, I want it ALL...and I WANT it NOW!"

It's always good to know what you want. It's also good to try to listen and learn something when people who know more than you do explain why you can't have what you want want want rather than thinking if you simply repost your 'wants' on another thread because you didnt like the answer you'll somehow get a more 'useful' answer telling you what you want to hear rather than what is real and true.

Sorry you found a detailed explanation "useless"...perhaps a more ADHD-twitter-twit length version would be more 'useful', if not to you then to someone else who might read this with more realistic sensibilities:

"like a real one" impossible and would = you go to hospital, sabersmith goes to court. NEVER gonna happen.

So sorry to be "useless" again...perhaps you can find someone unethical 'somewhere' who will happily take your money while promising "like a real one" brightness then laugh when you get it and whine it isn't bright "like a real one" in full daylight...

...but I would bet everything I know about the saber hobby that it wont be any of the fine ethical professional sabersmiths in the Guild or Mining Colony here who would be quite happy to build you an excellent saber that will live up to REALISTIC expectations but wouldn't lie to you about what those are and should be.

But don't listen to useless olde me what would I know after a decade...listen to Master Caine on your other thread or Master Qui Gon on this one...they are telling you the truth also.

MTFBWY
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Evol

• Padawan Learner
  • Rey's secret lover
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 03:32:22 AM »
I already did a lot of research, and I'm expecting real answer, I dont need someone to teach me lessons about physics, I'm not a 3 years old kid. Everyone can understand that I'm looking for the best blade I can find, close to real ones, obviously not a real one.

I guess you can understand that some answers from frustrated people who are not answering your question but trying to teach you a lesson can be unpleasant.

No offense.

Anyway, thank you all for your answers, it will definitely help me a lot.

Happy new year !

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:44:36 AM by Evol »

retrousse