fiduciary

Author Topic: Charging a lightsaber with wrong voltage?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Fleethund IV

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Charging a lightsaber with wrong voltage?
« on: December 02, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
Hi everybody. First of all sorry if I'm completly in the wrong section but I can't find one where
I can post my question.

Here's it is, I own a custom lightsaber with 7.4V batteries. However, the other day I was chargeing it at (what I thought was 7.4V setting) but turned out I've accidentaly flipped it to 11.1V ?
Now I discovered this after 2-3 hours of charging. Then fast pulled the plug and well now it seems
it only gives away strange flickering sounds. Have I acidentaly destroyed it and do I need to make a repair / change the batteries. In other words, did I fry the batteries or can it be saved somehow?

Any help would be most grateful, and again, sorry mods but I didn't now whereelse to post.

Many Thanks

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
Re: Charging a lightsaber with wrong voltage?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 02:13:56 PM »
Well, you're probably using a packed 2 Cells 3,7V. Damage depends on they way they are connected together and if they are protected or not. But anyway, in doubt, I would not use them anymore.

Offline Fleethund IV

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:10:08 PM »
Thanks for reply Nemesis. Yes, I checked inside. 2x 3.7V
Yeah, you're probably right there. No chance SoundBoard or LED has taken damage then?
I guess not, but can't tell for sure. I mean, are the flickering sounds due to batteries damaged and don't have enough power?

Thanks

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:16:11 PM »
On a correctly mounted hilt, Alim is disconnected from sound card when charging.
So you have less chance that your sound card could have been damaged.
For the strange sounds.. well.. I can't tell. Just change batteries and test it.

Good luck

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »
As Nemezis said, it depends on how the battery and charger were wired.

If the battery was in parallel with the sound card and charger, then the soundcard probably saw that full 12v.  Some boards are OK with that, some aren't.

If the charger disconnects or there is another way the battery is disconnected from the board, then it shouldn't be an issue.

There SHOULD be a disconnect.  It is improper to leave the batter connected to the electronics while charging, because the draw from the electronics will create a risk of overcharging the batteries.  If the batteries have a protection circuit (they SHOULD) then this isn't necessarily an issue, but it's not something you should rely on.

retrousse