fiduciary

Author Topic: Pixel sequence time length linked to sound length?  (Read 523 times)

Offline TechoMancer

• No Force
  • You don't know the power of the dark side...
Pixel sequence time length linked to sound length?
« on: January 11, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »
I know the pixel sequencer is a work in progress, so this may be something that is addressed in the future or it's not meant to work the way I'm using it....or I'm doing something wrong (again  :sad:)

Specifically, I have a "power down" pixel accent sequence (3 pixels) that lasts approximately 3 seconds.  However, if the "power off" sound is like 400 milliseconds, it truncates the sequence.

Is the pixel sequence length "linked" to the sound length?  Or can I have the pixel sequence run it's full length while the sound is much shorter?

I have messed with the blade timings, to no avail.  Although, admittedly, I have never messed with a pixel blade/accents and timings before, so I'm probably doing something wrong.  Below is what I have the timings at now.  I haven't touched any other setting.

## BLADE timings
qon=850
qoff=350
tridenton=0
tridentoff=0
tridentfx=0
tridentquick=0

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:48:44 PM by TechoMancer »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Pixel sequence time length linked to sound length?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 10:57:58 PM »
I would wait a bit for 6H and the new organization, and things have changed a bunch.
Still,
with the current settings, you can change the delay of your sequence or adjust it to 0 to have it matching automatically the duration of the power off sound (or quick off)

Grafx relies also on a playback rate (max FPS) currently defined in the config file of the sequence (using refresh fx in the upcoming version), so if your sequence is truncated, it could be too long for the refresh rate. Said differently, it's impossible to render a 4000 line BMP at a rate of 10ms in 400ms

Offline TechoMancer

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »
Thanx Erv.

I'm just killing some time while we wait for 6H.  :wink:

I don't want to waste your time on this trivial subject, but I'd like to rephrase my scenario to see if I understand what you said:

My sequence is only 22 lines.  However, the delay is set to 135ms, so I'm thinking 135x22 is 2970ms.  But since the power off sound (that came with the font) is only like 400ms long, the sequence just runs like the first 3 lines and then goes to the idle sequence. Is that because it's only running for the 400ms of the power-off sound length?  In theory (not saying it's a good idea), if I add like a 2.5 second "silnece" at the end of the sound file to make it match the length of the sequence, would the sequence then run it's course?

Thanx

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:10:58 AM »
but why don't you adjust the delay then ?

Offline TechoMancer

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 11:16:27 AM »
Thanx Erv.

I'm just tinkering around. Not looking for a solution, since things will change soon.  But right now, I got nothing better to do, since I'm waiting on a couple of items from TCSS.  :wink:

So I changed the "delay" in this section to 2900ms (not sure if this is the section you were referring to):

[POWEROFF]
accents=mmm
sequence=pixels-off.bmp
refreshfx=10
delay=2900

Nothing changed. The sequence truncated as soon as the power-off wav was done (400ms)

Just for experiment's-sake, I set the delay back to 135ms and I added 2.5 seconds of silence to the power-off sound.  The sequence ran as expected, but the hum sound could be heard ramping down during the silence I added to the power-off.wav

Interesting stuff...

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 10:50:02 PM »
but delay is the frame period. 2900 is 2.9 seconds between 2 frames / lines, so that would never work !

Offline TechoMancer

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 01:14:18 PM »
but delay is the frame period. 2900 is 2.9 seconds between 2 frames / lines, so that would never work !

Yeah, not sure what I was thinking.  I realized that after playing with it a little while and saw that not even 3 frames, that I was at least getting before, were rendering.

retrousse