fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Vader ANH Force FX (2007) Review and Pics  (Read 20763 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Darth Vader ANH Force FX (2007) Review and Pics
« on: April 28, 2007, 11:09:17 PM »

THE STORY

Master Replicas released their product plan for 2007 and an expected and welcome reissue was listed in the Force FX line.  After 4 years the Darth Vader: A New Hope Force FX got a complete overhaul.  With the success of the Darth Vader TESB FFX it was an easy progression to remake the ANH saber.  The original TESB molds were used to make the NEW ANH FFX and present it in a more accurate form.
Now, finding out this information I was a bit unsure as I do love the quality of finish on the 2003 ANH Vader(those emitter coils!) as compared to what the new one would be.  But I did know that it was a sure thing I was going to get one.  Even though the 03 ANH saber had my heart, it wasn't without its drawbacks.  Those drawbacks were to be fully corrected with this new issue....and Thank The Maker for that!
With no announcement or mini-mention of the Vader ANH, it was released for sale on April 12, 2007 to the world.  I had already placed a standing unofficial pre-order with an Authorized Dealer so all I had to do was wait.  Two weeks after the release date, the Darth Vader ANH FFX is now in my hands.....and the POWER is unimaginable!

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX

The epitome of Evil so eloquently encased in the hilt of the NEW Darth Vader ANH Force FX saber.  The very fist Vader saber designed and shown onscreen to the publc...doesn't get much better than this.

The Packaging is the same this go around as it has been for the majority of the past FX sabers.  Still very durable for shipping.

The On/Off switch is a copy of the one on the TESB Vader.  Just slide the bubble strip on top of the control box and it activates/deactivates the saber.  The body of the ANH Vader FFX is in full on chrome mode with the main shaft of the hilt being beautifully chromed and accented with black textured trim close to that of the original MPP flashgun.  Although, I do believe this looks to be in better condition than any of the props that were used in the films.

The Battery holder seems to be the standard issue Generation 4 setup with 3 AA's to power this powerful weapon.  Using the AA always gives the saber a bit of heft when using it and that is a good thing!

The Battery Endcap, which unscrews quite easily, is seen here with the 2007 Lucasfilm and Master Replicas copyright stamps.  As with the Yoda, the "Made in China" stamp is there as well.  I'm guessing this will be a standard with the rest of the newer FFX's  The stamping also isn't as obtrusive on this as the others.  I'm guessing the new method of laser etching was used to apply it to not only give a more permanent stamp, but to make it less noticeable on a glance

The shorter grips are used and are correctly sized, but as many know, are not correctly numbered.  Even though since the discovery that the ANH Vader prop had 7 grips and not 6, this has yet to carry over to the FFX line.  Small sacrifice in my book. 

The detail around the emitter area is very nice for this newer model, but not as close as the previous ANH Vader was to the prop replica that MR produced.  More detail on that difference will be covered in the comparison.  The black textured emitter shroud is a direct clone of the one used on the Vader TESB model.  Since it is a copy the emitter coil detail was not reproduced like on the original.

The speaker cover on the endcap is well done as to resemble what you see on the actual prop replica.  This is another exact detail carried over from the Vader TESB FX saber.

THE SABER IGNITED

In Normal Room Light

In Low Room Light

In Complete Darkness

WORKING REVIEW
First thing I noticed about the new Vader is that it is HEAVY!  I'm not sure if a different, more dense metal is being used for the new ANH saber than it was for the TESB that it replaced, but it is much heavier than its predecessors.  It NOW really feels like the weapon that a Dark Lord of the Sith would weild. 
The On/Off switch works very well as it did on the other.  Not a high chance you could accidentily turn this one on or off.
The Blade is a very bright red.  About as bright as you can get with the Red LED's.  When testing the brightness against the Vader TESB, they are the same. The thickness seems to be the same so the durabiltiy of the blade is okay, but not indestructible, so be careful with this badboy!
The Sounds while they are reused Sith sounds, seem to have been redone for the better.  The sound seems a tad louder and crisper sounding than any Vader saber to date.  The ignition sound is beautifully menacing and there is a crystal clear "idle hum".
The motion sensor is exacting in its function.  The blade movements you make correspond well with the activated sounds.  There are 4 motion sounds (slow buzz, fast buzz, slash and double-slash)
The common problems of handling a Vader saber are still there with the center control box and intrusive emitter shroud making it difficult, but not impossible for tricks and spins.  Just have to become familiar with where and how to place your hand(s).

THE BOX
A quick look at the box

Top Front

Back

Story

Specifications

THE COMPARISON

2003 Vader ANH vs. 2007 Vader ANH

The 2003 is a bit longer than the 2007 version.

The Emitter shroud details, while close are not exact.  The 2003(left) of course has the on/off switch as the small black button.  The 2007 retains the TESB silver finish on the knobs rather than being the shiny silver on the 2003 version

There are minute differences with the ANH details that were applied to the TESB body of the 2007 version.  The holes where the wires were are now filled with a detail that isn't as nicely done as the 2003 version(left).  The 2003 recessed hole details were just more realistic looking.

Most easily noticed here is the 2003(left) has much larger bubbles than the 2007 version.  I have to say I still prefer the look of the larger bubbles on the 2003 version.  The "clamp" is also noticeably different.  The clamp on the 2007 is closer to resembling the clamp that comes on the Luke ANH and TESB sabers.  Could this small clamp be just that since the ANH Luke is being released later this year?

With the newer saber being shorter the grips are going to also be shorter.  You can see the difference of the 2003(left) to the 2007 size of grips.

There is also a minute differences in the design of the speaker grills on the endcap between the two sabers.

Blade comparison....not much of a comparison.  The brightness seems to be marginally brighter on the 2007 than the 2003.

2007 ANH Vader FFX vs 2002 ANH Vader Signature Edition

Okay, the new Vader is quite possibly the most EXACTING in detail and size of any FFX compared to a prop replica.  Kudos to MR for great job on replicating it.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Even with its detail differences between the original ANH and this one.  I have to admit this is the BEST Vader saber, no doubt.  It feels, looks and sounds better than the others.   This one is making me smile once again.   Kudos to MR for making another wonderful FX and taking steps to make them better.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:09:35 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
Re: Darth Vader ANH Force FX (2007) Review and Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 11:15:11 PM »
Awesome review Anakin!  Nice pitures as well. :)  Congrats on finally getting the new Vader ANH saber.

While I never had the original 2003 version I will say that I really enjoy the 2007 version and it is indeed a nice saber. :)

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:17:04 PM »
Great review *as always *
What about the Maul,it is brighter or as bright as the maul?
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:04:38 AM »
Oh and Anakin keep in mind the Vader 2007 model is now a lot closer to the original MPP I believe.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:05:46 AM »
Oh and Anakin keep in mind the Vader 2007 model is now a lot closer to the original MPP I believe.

I KNOW!  I just put it up against my ANH Signature Edition and there is VERY LITTLE difference between the two.  Infact, it you removed the blade and set the FX on a LE stand...it would look Perfect!

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »
It's been said that the grips are also softer and more comfortable as well. 8)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »
I KNOW!  I just put it up against my ANH Signature Edition and there is VERY LITTLE difference between the two.  Infact, it you removed the blade and set the FX on a LE stand...it would look Perfect!

Awesome, hey maybe you should take a comparison pic of the LE and the ANH 2007 FX version and post it? :)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »

Awesome, hey maybe you should take a comparison pic of the LE and the ANH 2007 FX version and post it? :)

I just might do that!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »
 ;)Great review and pics as always my friend and congrats on your new vader saber!! 8)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 06:12:42 PM »
Thanks Dajoquim!

I updated to pics to include a shot of the FFX against my Signature Edition prop replica.

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
Is it me or is the FX smaller than the Signature Edition?  Or is it just because of the angel of the pic?

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »
 ;)I agree with you on that from where they are sitting the fx does look smaller than the Le;but;is that possible?It mught be the angle like you said!!For a while there I did a couple of double takes lol!!Good eye big-t!! 8)

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
  • ...you know, as in Kill Bill?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »
Is the clash sensor easier to trigger on this model than it was on the ESB one?

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 06:50:48 PM »
I don't know about for Anakins but on mine it doesn't take much to set it off.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »
Is it me or is the FX smaller than the Signature Edition?  Or is it just because of the angel of the pic?

Its the angle of the pic.  I can't take a direct overhead shot cause I don't have a lightring for my camera or any kind of helpful light equipment...so I have to make due with bright overheads.

The FFX and the SE are the EXACT same size, amazingly enough.

retrousse