fiduciary

Author Topic: Possible Contest Ideas  (Read 1839 times)

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Possible Contest Ideas
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 08:01:40 AM »
I like all of these ideas, if only because I have roughly a dozen sabers in progress (for years) that would fit any of these categories (and I would have some motivation go finish them)!

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 08:31:16 AM »

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 08:55:46 AM »
How about we make real lightsabers?

This Retractable Plasma Lightsaber Burns at 4,000 °F - Nerdist

Oh god, not that one again.

...everyone on facebook kept sharing that with me the other week. It got bad enough that I had to set up and adblock filter to never see it again :cheesy:
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »
it seems mostly everyone is on board with the Iron Chef idea.  I guess that's the reason why its such a popular show. :azn:  It's also universally applicable, anyone from noob to master should be able to yield something cool from this concept.  The other two specific ideas that folks are digging are the Themed and Golden ideas.  Both of which, imho, are very design heavy, and have the potential to trigger a ton of game-step-upage.  IOW, they're difficult challenges, but the results would reflect that. :cool:

Also, there are a lot of mentions to exchanging parts, i.e. mailing one or more parts or projects to each other.  I/me/josh (just my opinion) think that while it may be fun, it's possibly not the best format to use with a time limit, simply because life gets in the way.  If the progress of the contest is reliant on ALL the contestants buying parts or starting projects, and then waiting for ALL the contestants to ship and receive said parts or projects to other players... next thing you know, it's 6 months later, and JoshSaberFan still has yet to start on his contest entry.  And there's also the "screw ur neighbor" aspect.  If different people get different parts, then it's no longer an even starting point and inevitably someone will start at a disadvantage, be it obscure parts/project or relative experience in improvisational lightsaber crafting (a.k.a. MacGuy-Fu).

...The simple solution to these problems is to standardize the starting point, i.e. everyone has the same part and no one is at an inherent advantage or disadvantage, and then everyone procures their own - which brings us back to Iron Chef.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »
it seems mostly everyone is on board with the Iron Chef idea.  I guess that's the reason why its such a popular show. :azn:  It's also universally applicable, anyone from noob to master should be able to yield something cool from this concept.  The other two specific ideas that folks are digging are the Themed and Golden ideas.  Both of which, imho, are very design heavy, and have the potential to trigger a ton of game-step-upage.  IOW, they're difficult challenges, but the results would reflect that. :cool:

Also, there are a lot of mentions to exchanging parts, i.e. mailing one or more parts or projects to each other.  I/me/josh (just my opinion) think that while it may be fun, it's possibly not the best format to use with a time limit, simply because life gets in the way.  If the progress of the contest is reliant on ALL the contestants buying parts or starting projects, and then waiting for ALL the contestants to ship and receive said parts or projects to other players... next thing you know, it's 6 months later, and JoshSaberFan still has yet to start on his contest entry.  And there's also the "screw ur neighbor" aspect.  If different people get different parts, then it's no longer an even starting point and inevitably someone will start at a disadvantage, be it obscure parts/project or relative experience in improvisational lightsaber crafting (a.k.a. MacGuy-Fu).

...The simple solution to these problems is to standardize the starting point, i.e. everyone has the same part and no one is at an inherent advantage or disadvantage, and then everyone procures their own - which brings us back to Iron Chef.

Yeah, that's why my version of it was just an exchange of designs, rather than physical parts. much simpler, only relies on emails.

But I agree. a "standard" start point would be fairer- and doesn't exactly preclude a golden saber build either, if the contestants are up for it. The Iron Chef with the Golden Saber could be tortuous fun.
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 07:41:13 AM »
If we talk to tcss and get entrants to make a deposit, we could maybe get a surprise design on a unique part nobody else will see until the contest reveals.  If there is enough interest it might be worth their while considering we'd all most likely be getting other parts as well. 

Either way if we have an entry deadline with payment they could ship everything at once.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 08:58:00 AM »

Also curious why FJKs idea had to be discussed in the star chamber before spilling!

Probably because there are a few “external issues” that would need to be really ironed out and resolved first.  :wink:

I like some of the ideas you guys are coming up with, and I know that some here, as well as FJK, have seen variations of those types of contests before.

We’ll see what happens.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 06:40:16 AM »
If we talk to tcss and get entrants to make a deposit, we could maybe get a surprise design on a unique part nobody else will see until the contest reveals.  If there is enough interest it might be worth their while considering we'd all most likely be getting other parts as well. 

Either way if we have an entry deadline with payment they could ship everything at once.

I like this!

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 06:59:56 AM »
I like the Jazz Saber idea as well. Metal cores should be incorporated, but not be the mainstay of the saber.

The single part idea always works pretty well.

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 05:48:07 PM »
How about we make real lightsabers?

This Retractable Plasma Lightsaber Burns at 4,000 °F - Nerdist

Oh god, not that one again.

...everyone on facebook kept sharing that with me the other week. It got bad enough that I had to set up and adblock filter to never see it again :cheesy:

Wah

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 03:12:54 PM »
I've got a twist on the Iron Chef idea. How about you have to use an MHS piece, and it can be any piece (V1, V2, MPS, etc).

It is also the ONLY MHS piece you can use.

Some "essential" MHS parts (LED holders/pixel connectors, switch boxes, etc) wouldn't count as your one part, but apart from that, that's it. You only get one. Use it wisely.
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 05:03:43 PM »
I've got a twist on the Iron Chef idea. How about you have to use an MHS piece, and it can be any piece (V1, V2, MPS, etc).

Some "essential" MHS parts (LED holders/pixel connectors, switch boxes, etc) wouldn't count as your one part, but apart from that, that's it. You only get one. Use it wisely.

Not bad.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 03:28:51 PM »

I love this idea.  And I already know what piece I'd use: an MPI.  They're just so dang useful.  I tend to lean toward some of the more obscure pieces... because they're obscure.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 03:30:28 AM »
Yeah, my thinking was to balance things out a bit. The main problem as I see it with the Iron Chef challenge as is, if you have to integrate one specific MHS piece, then the temptation is to just use MHS parts to complete the saber. And then the contest is "just" another MHS building competition. Not a bad thing in itself, and there's certainly a lot of creativity that can come from using MHS only.

This way, you get one piece, and you have to use it carefully. Scratchbuilders get to play with tubes to see what fits, and those with lathes/mills get to try and make custom pieces that fit with it. everybody wins.

And I already know what piece I'd use: an MPI.  They're just so dang useful.  I tend to lean toward some of the more obscure pieces... because they're obscure.

I also have a certain MHS piece in mind. Although, that's nothing new, I have an idea for pretty much every suggested contest so far.

I think that whatever the next contest is, my entry will have features of other suggested contests worked in, because that's probably the only way I'll be able to make all these ideas come to fruition without bankrupting myself  :cheesy:

(also I'll start building a lot earlier)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:27:08 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2020, 04:19:55 AM »
So, FJK, any news of that challenge idea of yours?
Better late than never.

retrousse