fiduciary

Author Topic: LED string saber evolution - this might change the way we think about LED string  (Read 19642 times)

Offline neskweek

• No Force
    • LightSaberOS
Yesterday I was tired and I didn't read adafruit's info correctly regarding through-hole leds price : they sell them as a 5 pack :P. That would make a 100$ blade.

Anyway Erv stated those 8mm were slow.
That still quite anoys me.

So I googled more and found that :
http://www.led-genial.de/mediafiles//Sonstiges/PL9823.pdf
http://cdn2.boxtec.ch/pub/diverse/P9823.pdf
and also those
APA-106 F8 F5 LED 2014.pdf - Google Drive

Don't know if they are any better on speed or brightness (all of those datasheets are quite obscures I even suspect them to be false since I found several ones with different infos for WS2812 and SK6812) but they are trully better on price range.
And they are 100% compatible with neopixel protocols.

One of the demo video I found on youtube

I did cancel my 144/m Strip (I still could) and ordered a bunch of those to try out instead.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:27:20 AM by neskweek »

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
Can't tell exactly, but it looks to me like the 5mm ones in this datasheet are clear rather than diffused.
Wish they'd just do a clear 8mm :(

APA-106 F8 F5 LED 2014.pdf - Google Drive

Offline neskweek

• No Force
    • LightSaberOS
5mm are better choice IMO:
since 8mm and 5mm share the same mcd ratings (looking at those datasheets) using 5mm allows you to put more of them in the blade.
2 or 3 strings of those would end up producing a nice brightness.
I said "strings" but you can make a 3x100 matrix out of them which is even more interesting.

I didn't ordered some yet, I'm waiting an answer from factory: they are maybe able to produce brighter leds.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:05:48 AM by neskweek »

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
Hopefully you'll keep us informed? I notice an arduino pro-trinket fits inside a saber hilt ok.

Offline neskweek

• No Force
    • LightSaberOS
Hopefully you'll keep us informed? I notice an arduino pro-trinket fits inside a saber hilt ok.
Hey there. Sure it will be my pleasure.
But I first have to say that I change my mind (again).
I did ordered 3xWS2812B 144/m led strip:

• Brightness wise it would be the best choice IMHO:
    Through-hole LEDs rate as bright as a single of this strip cell and strip cell are oriented towards the blade walls, so it can't be beaten, right now.
  • You might call me lazy :P but having thrown a second thought on soldering a 3X100 matrix to fit into a blade... It "scared" me a little. I'm not sure the result will be gainfull in terms of time-spent compared to ledstrips. It might also be quite less cheaper (trial and errors... you know... often end up with burnt leds)
  • Solidity : mounting correctly those ledstrips might end with a more robust blade than a homemade ledstring.

As for power consumption, it should end up to be quite equal (with a less brightness render for through-hole at least compared to P9823: one bulb is rated at 59mA, all colors light up). I'm going to use 2xliPo 3000maH 60C battery cell to power those.

As a side note I found a lot (A LOT) of different types of adressable ledstrings. (WS2812, WS2812B, SK6812, SK6812RGBW, APA102, APA106,... not exhaustive list)

Not sure the one I choosed would be the best suited for our use but I'm quite tired of searching through unprecise/incomplete datasheets.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:42:56 AM by neskweek »

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board

Or maybe a saber hilt similar to Erv's superb Tron disk, lighting up from inside before igniting the blade. OK, maybe I am getting carried away.

No I don't think you're crazy I'm working on a saber like that!
Wow, EPIC! Can't wait to see that! Will it have windows to let the light through? What do you use for diffusing?

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix

But I first have to say that I change my mind (again).
I did ordered 3xWS2812B 144/m led strip:

• Brightness wise it would be the best choice IMHO:
    Through-hole LEDs rate as bright as a single of this strip cell and strip cell are oriented towards the blade walls, so it can't be beaten, right now.
  • You might call me lazy :P but having thrown a second thought on soldering a 3X100 matrix to fit into a blade... It "scared" me a little. I'm not sure the result will be gainfull in terms of time-spent compared to ledstrips. It might also be quite less cheaper (trial and errors... you know... often end up with burnt leds)
  • Solidity : mounting correctly those ledstrips might end with a more robust blade than a homemade ledstring.
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect you won't fit 3 strips into a blade with diffusion, and 2 strips back to back will leave the blade unlit for 60degrees on each edge, Again, I'm keen to know. [/list]

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu

Or maybe a saber hilt similar to Erv's superb Tron disk, lighting up from inside before igniting the blade. OK, maybe I am getting carried away.

No I don't think you're crazy I'm working on a saber like that!
Wow, EPIC! Can't wait to see that! Will it have windows to let the light through? What do you use for diffusing?

I'm going to try and use 3-D printed plastic parts as the body (scalloped section) of a 'Qui Gon-like' saber and have the sequenced LED 'blinkies' to rise up and down the hilt along with the blade. I think this would be so sick! Here are some really rudimentary sketches I made lol:

I hope to work on this more later in the year with another member here... maybe make two of them.

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
I think I remember someone mentioning it before but would you mind drawing up a simple wiring diagram to see how you wired these?  Shouldn't you be able to run two strips in a parallel configuration with a 7.4 v pack?

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
i'ts been done before: Quick Demo of Cheerlight - LightSaber (Arduino Mega & NeoPixel Strip) - YouTube

That example is dreadfully uneven though, nowhere near the standard of an ordinary string.

Offline neskweek

• No Force
    • LightSaberOS
i'ts been done before: Quick Demo of Cheerlight - LightSaber (Arduino Mega & NeoPixel Strip) - YouTube

It has already been done several times, yeah. I think I've saw 3 or 4 different guys on youtube.

This guy having achieved, to my eyes, the best result so far:

His thread

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix

That looks pretty cool. I'm sure an ordinary ladder style will be better, BUT, I stand to be corrected and yes if it can yield a decent result and save people the fiddle of constructing it then great! I am sure the LEDs will get smaller and more tightly packed.

It has already been done several times, yeah. I think I've saw 3 or 4 different guys on youtube.

This guy having achieved, to my eyes, the best result so far:

His thread

Offline neskweek

• No Force
    • LightSaberOS
Just my 3 cent stripes :

Work in progress

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Omg that's so crazy awesome

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Just my 3 cent stripes :

Work in progress

That looks great!  what batteries were those?  I couldn't make out the writing on the cell

retrousse