fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Vader ANH VS ESB Review  (Read 14812 times)

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
Darth Vader ANH VS ESB Review
« on: June 26, 2006, 08:20:06 PM »
After getting the Darth Vader ESB last year along with the Anakin ROTS as my first saber I started collecting little by little of the fx sabers. I was very pleased with the Darth Vader ESB when I got it, how it can easily be swung around and how the clash and motion sensors work together to make this saber a top 10 on my black list for the best fx sabers out there. All though the ANH had my attention it wasn't really the first one I had in mind until I saw the reviews and I knew I had to get one too see for myself about what made this saber so awesome. I found it on ebay they said it was in used condition but when it came in the mail the box was brand new though I didn't like the postage tape on the box. But when I opened it, I was breathless at that moment. It was untouched the instruction manual was flat new and still had that paper smell like if you just opened a pack of copying paper. The Saber was even better, the plastic was not crumbled and the tape for the foam strips was never peeled off. Still has the original on and off stickers. The box I could just say was unopened until I opened it. I could of never been happier too have the 2nd generation lightsaber brandnew. Now that's what I call time standing still. Anyways I just had to point out how this saber just made me in a stunning trance even now.

Moving on:

The ANH saber itself is a inch bigger than the ESB with taking 6 AA's instead of the 3 AA's from the esb. Looking at the model of it and comparing the ESB to the ANH, you can clearly see a difference just by the hilt itself. ( Sorry the only Darth Vader ESB I have is a luxeon just using for comparing).

The switch is underneath the switch box going up to the second knob it's a black button. I believe that it's better that way because it's harder to accidently turning off the saber like the ESB while spinning it around.

The sound is awesome it's a bit different from the ESB with a lower pitch just swinging it around makes you really feel like Darth vader himself than just any sith lord.

Surprisingly enough the ANH saber is alot lighter than the ESB, it feels like your swinging around the Luke ROTJ with the weight factor involved. I guess that the ESB they cramped up everything inside that hilt making it heavier since you are limited on space for conversion.

The unorthidox things:

Well as awesome as the ANH looks just like the one from the movie which in size it's only a faction of a difference from the size the switch box ontop is bigger and tilted towards the side instead of it being straight like the ESB's.

Also with the 64 LED's in it, I don't like how you can see them clearer than the ESB. You can almost see the dots up the blade which kind of takes away the realizim of the saber. Though from what I hear that both ANH and ESB are both the same color.

The sound, it's great but the motion sensors are too sensitive, you can just tap on it and it will sound the swinging motion easily. If you swing it around it'll go threw all the sounds so fast that it's sounds like your doing your own remix which is cool but for those how appericate the fx's quality and those true star wars fans it's not a cool thing for realizem.

In the End:

From what is all and all, I personally think that if you want something to add on into your collection this saber is a must. Also for those like me who always wanted to have a older version fx saber since they missed out back then this is the saber you want now. I admire this saber for it's stunning comparsion to the movie when darth vader used his. Also If your looking for one make sure to get it with a stand if you need one since the older models don't come with one and I guessing this is the first saber that comes with a stand unless correct me wrong. I have alot of them always but this one came with one which was too unopened and on the back it says 2003 which is so cool. Don't forget about the manual I wonder who else has there manual with a Generation 1 and 2 that has chinese words on the back of the manual. Mine does so it's proof right there that this saber was made directly from China. I hope that you'll have a different heart about having a ANH as part of your fx family.  :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:28:59 PM by Shadowlynx »

Offline djforce

• Master Force User
Re: Darth Vader ANH VS ESB Review
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:12:05 PM »
good review, are you going to convert it?

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 08:13:26 AM »
I would think not...the ANH is pretty hard to find, especially in that condidtion and therefore is more a collector item like the Anakin AOTC. Nice saber and great review, BTW.  ;) 8)

I am waiting on my Obi-Wan ROTS and that will be the last FX saber for a very long time for me as there isn't any other FX's that I am interested in at this time. That, and the fact that there won't be another one till sometime in 07' anyways.  :-\

If I were to get another one, it would be the Anakin ROTS re-release later this summer just to have a pristine one to keep in it's box un-opened.

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Lord Throughlou

• Master Force User
  • may the toast be with you "this is a quote"
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »
iv just ordered a vader esb i cant wait after reader your comments about the esb

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:13:26 PM »
I would think not...the ANH is pretty hard to find, especially in that condidtion and therefore is more a collector item like the Anakin AOTC.

http://www.nitrocomics.com/starwars.html#swprops

brand new 'IN STOCK' vader ANH @ $159.99

8)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:17:30 PM by Cobalt60 »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Lord Throughlou

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:20:38 PM »
good find shame i just spent $120 on a vader esb lol :D

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:13:47 PM »
You got one throughlou,thats awesome.
You forgot to post pics of the blade
sig removed, ...animation not allowed

Offline Lord Throughlou

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 01:26:37 PM »
im waiting for it to get delivered ;D

Offline Vaders Apprentice

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »
what a great review! i have a ESB myself. when i am spinning it i dont ever switch it off my accadent. it is very sturday and i love it. heres a video of me muckibng around with it.

hope you like! :P

Offline Jedi Tom

• Padawan Learner
  • Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker is.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 06:07:29 PM »
what a great review man and cool pics to that was awesome :D ;D ;) :)

retrousse