fiduciary

Author Topic: Vintage Graflex + Yoda chassis + CF 4.1 = My custom Luke ESB saber  (Read 15950 times)

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
Finally...

I've had the vintage Graflex for about 6 months. It was a bit of a challenge to gut it and get it ready for conversion. Then I got Erv's CF in November. All I needed was a chassis. I was contemplating making one but then Yoda busted out the ones he had for sale and here I am.

I must say that putting it together was not that bad. I never got really frustrated (like with the USB 2.0) and I just did a little bit here and there in the evenings. I'd say the worst part (which really wasn't that bad) was discovering the CF is setup for a latching switch and Yoda's chassis are made for momentary. Since I have a Mac, I had to find someone with a PC so I could format the SD card and make some adjustments. Luckily, my sister lives nearby and she has a PC laptop. I was able to load some different sound fonts and make the swing more sensitive (and change to momentary power on switch). Even that went will with no glitches. I was actually surprised. The only thing I need now is a kill switch because the batteries drain pretty fast when not in use and it's a hassle taking them out.

I'm running a blue 5W LedEngin led at 1300ma which is pretty bright. The Ultrablade fits the best and looks pretty good too. I have a TCSS Corbin+cellophane that looks good too but is a tight fit. I love the flicker. No pics but the camera isn't accurate anyway. It's bright and blue.

I shimmed the blade holder with black vinyl tape so now it fits tight and solid. No more rattling.

Here are some current pics of the hilt. I still need to put the screws on the grips. I'm not planning to put chrome tape around the clamp. I like the way it looks with the GRAFLEX stamped on it. I don't need to be "movie accurate".

The little red ribbons sticking out of the batteries are what I use to pull them out to cut the power. I'm going to have to put a little kill switch in there somewhere so I don't have to do that anymore.

I'm super happy with it and just blown away by it. It feels so good in your hand. Heavy and solid - like you'd expect a "real" lightsaber to feel like.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:19:21 PM by Jedi-Diah »

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niƱo que llevamos adentro...
Re: Vintage Graflex + Yoda chassis + CF 4.1 = My custom Luke ESB saber
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
Hi Jedi-Diah!
Congratulations, good work!
It is pretty to see the work finished after having waited so much time.
That you enjoy it very much.

I forgot to ask...what is Graflex vintage?
I bought a reply graflex in TCSS. is it Vintage?

Greetings.
Gaby!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:09:31 PM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »
These were originally made as camera flashes in the 1920's (maybe 30's). So, a vintage one is almost 80 years old. There are also replica ones that are brand new. They are very good too but are copies of the original.

Hi!!
Thanks
Gaby!

Offline Elandron

• Experienced Force User
  • "You must unlearn what you have learned."
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »
Hi!!
Thanks
Gaby!

This might help explain the "real graflex" a little better:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=5996.0

The post was made by our very own Red Five... and I must say, it's been more than an inspiration  ;)

Offline Darth Kaos

• Sith Infiltrator
  • Master Force User
  • Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »
Congrats on the new beauty, Jedi-Diah! Welcome to the tribe if this is your first Graflex  8)
Yes, I do love the fact that a Graflex feels heavy and "solid", compared to MR or Hasbros  ;D

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »
Great review Jedi Diah.  I have been waiting in anticpation.  Your pics came out perfect.  Glad to see you finally got it up and running.  You now have the best saber in the galaxy. Plus if your short on cash you can sell it for about 3 months rent.  :D  But don't you dare sell it.  ;)

Keep me posted on what you do on the kill switch.  I don't have the time now as I am wrapped up in my house stuff.  Hopefully I will put one in next fall after the renovations are done. 

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:57:24 PM »
Beautiful, Jedi-Diah. Maybe I could swing by this weekend to check it out in person if you're around?  ;D

Did the UltraEdge not fit? I can mill one down for you to fit the GFS adapter and bring it down.

**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:49:20 PM »
Yep, my first Graflex. What an amazing piece of machinery. No wonder they chose these to be the lightsaber prop. I did pick up an 2-cell a few months ago for $50 on Ebay so I got another conversion to do. This time I might try making my own chassis without a crystal chamber but with a bigger battery pack. Also will go for  the ANH look this time. Maybe USB 2.1?

The UltraEdge doesn't fit very well. It would need to be sanded or turned down. The following weekend would be better.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Looking really great.  It's nice to see it all coming together!

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Very nice work indeed, JD! I love how the lines on the clamps of the vintage models are so much more distinct than the replicas. It's just that look of aging that you get from those. By the way, I seem to recall reading  that the new UltraEdge FX blades will fit in the Graflex.

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »
The UltraEdge doesn't really fit. I have some stock tube. It will need to be sanded down in order to fit. But the Ultrablade looks great!

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:22 PM »
I'll turn down an UltraEdge and bring it down to you next weekend, then :)
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »
That would be cool. I'll trade you back some stock tube.

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
  • Official FX-SABERS GRAFLEX ARMORY Guardian
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 04:34:27 AM »
Jedi Diah! Looks really good! I love the way those hilts look. I had to stick "wedges of tape" in my bunny ears to to keep them from rattling. Works really well. I can insert/remove the blade without removing them. Anyways. Great job!!!

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 07:26:44 AM »
Thanks Maximus,

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the bunny ears and the tape. My bunny ears don't rattle because I replaced the pin with a screw. To insert the blade, I just squeeze the bunny ears and they open up wider so the blade will fit.

retrousse