fiduciary

Author Topic: The Basics Of Thread Tapping  (Read 36132 times)

Offline Matt Thorn

• Experienced Force User
    • Köjin Köbö
Re: The Basics Of Thread Tapping
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
When I've put in a set screw myself, I've just drilled and tapped the hole through the hilt/blade-holder, rather than throught the blade as well, so that it presses and holds the (undrilled/tapped) blade in place.

You may find it works better if you unscrew the set screw from the blade and twist the blade round a bit, then tighten it up again so it's just holding it in place by pressing on it rather than actually going into the blade.

A-ha... Hadn't thought of that. I seem to remember the instructions saying to drill through the blade as well, but I suppose I'm mistaken. I just tried it, and sure enough, the wobbling is gone, and it seems like a strong enough hold to stand up to moderate dueling. Thanks, Sethski and jpbeck.
There's always a bigger fish.

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »
I added pictures to the tutorial  ;)

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline DarkJediWannabe

• No Force
    • My home page
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 03:41:24 AM »
When I've put in a set screw myself, I've just drilled and tapped the hole through the hilt/blade-holder, rather than throught the blade as well, so that it presses and holds the (undrilled/tapped) blade in place.

You may find it works better if you unscrew the set screw from the blade and twist the blade round a bit, then tighten it up again so it's just holding it in place by pressing on it rather than actually going into the blade.

A-ha... Hadn't thought of that. I seem to remember the instructions saying to drill through the blade as well, but I suppose I'm mistaken. I just tried it, and sure enough, the wobbling is gone, and it seems like a strong enough hold to stand up to moderate dueling. Thanks, Sethski and jpbeck.

Matt, I did a Maul upgrade myself and I was a little paranoid about how the single screw would hold the blade firmly enough for duelling. So I put in two set screws. I aligned them with the covertec clip on the back but one on either side in the dark areas just under the emitter. Works perfectly.

Just an idea. :P

Lux 3 Green
Lux 3 Red/Red

MR FX "Joe Jedi" kit
MR FX "Joe Jedi" kit modded
Vader ANH Handle for pending US2.5 and Luxeon 3 R/O upg
Obi TPM EE    (No case or cert)
Obi ROTS EE  (No case or cert)

Offline JediJudoChop

• Force User
  • I'mmm crushing your head!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
Here is a trick to eliminate walking with tiny bendable bits.

Slide the bit into the chuck* until only about 1/2" is showing. If you have more than that, the bit can walk.

*The part on a drill that holds the drill bit

Now that is a tip that can be used in a lot of places even outside of Saber Smithing.

^ 2 thumbs up ^   ;D

People break those little suckers constantly.
(]////[oo]\\\|(=================================>                                     Raja naba zoola gola wookie "nosey" pinchy?

Offline TroyO

• No Force
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
I actually use the drill press all the time to tap holes.... just not under power. One of the big keys to tapping correctly is to make sure you are tapping it "straight" in to the hole drilled.

What better way than to just leave it in place and chuck up the tap and turn the chuck by hand? Since everything is still set up you know the quill travel is still exactly in line with the hole.

Although that does require that the part be well clamped when drilling so it doesn't move around during/sfter the drilling and chucking up the tap. (Which is the right way to do it anyway... althoughI have done my share of just throw it on there and hold it drilling too,)

It's a tip that has served me well.. picked it up on a machining forum.
It might be overcomplicating things for a newbie guide though.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:13:47 PM by TroyO »

Offline EL1

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »
Stumbled on this forum thread and found it useful as I'm new to metal machining altogether. Threading has been hit or miss with my past projects.

Thanks!

retrousse