fiduciary

Author Topic: Larbel Qui Gon Repair and upgrades for sithslayer1  (Read 3833 times)

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
Larbel Qui Gon Repair and upgrades for sithslayer1
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
This Larbel was previously converted and had an Ultrasound 2.5 in it. The recharge port failed, so it was sent to me with the request for repair and for upgrades.
1. Petit Crouton 1.5, plus FoC then PC 2.0
2. LOUDER. The saber was noticeably muffled.
3. Recharge port change to 2.1, vs the 1.3 that borked.

The US 2.5 was in a slot milled into the pommel. It barely had clearance with electrical tape shielding it from shorting.
The 14500 li-ion cells were in a separated pack, with one cell directly behind the LUX V main Led.
The wire that was used was 28GA TEFLON INSULATED WIRE.

Mods.
Under grips completely milled and dremeled out.
Pommel holes added, and pommel dremeled out to allow for sound.
More holes added to speaker cradle, with dremeling for fitment and Regal mounted properly against body instead of press fit. This increased volume, coupled with the PC 2.0's sound quality
Heatsink modded for LEDEngin 10w RGGB mounting.
Back plate made from scratch from Aluminum stock.
Anodizing removed, and saber has been repainted with Ace hardware satin black enamel. 3 coats with a baking of 3.5 hrs @ 350 degrees between each coat. Enamel Clear coat applied and baked the same. (*Flat black was tried first, but the color was off.*)

Specs
PC 2.0
2x14650 Li-ions
LedEngin RGGB GG in parallel @ 2A for the main, Blue FoC
2x internal Green SMD accent LEDS mounted on the PC 2.0
Regal speaker
Custom Kill Key

Soundfont Madcow's Fates
Boot ~ Qui Gon "I shall do what I must, Obi-Wan"  Alex Gordon

Demo
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/Nailbunny375/Larbel%20Qui-Gon%20Luxeon/Larbel%20Qui/?action=view&current=100_9030.mp4

http://youtu.be/Q2Z05ht_o78

Full Demo showing SD card access and partial disassembly
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/Nailbunny375/Larbel%20Qui-Gon%20Luxeon/Larbel%20Qui/?action=view&current=LarbelQuiGon.mp4

Internal pics

Glams

Switches

6-32 blade retention set screw

On

FoC blue

Special Thanks To General Grievous/LDM for help with machine work

In case you ever wondered what a weathered Qui Gon looks like.........

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:14:59 PM by JANGO FETT »

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
Re: Larbel Qui Gon Repair and upgrades for sithslayer1
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
nice work Jango  :o
very tidy now - and the boot fits it I reckon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:16:41 PM by Mersenne »
it's all Elemental

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »
Maginificent!! Thats some masterful cram-fu Jango. I am sure your client will love it.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
Maginificent!! Thats some masterful cram-fu Jango. I am sure your client will love it.

Indeed he does, Lol! It's been a long journey with this Larbel. I first aquired it back in 2009 and sent it off to Goodman, who at that time was a well respected Sabersmith here on the forums. We all know better now, and I am lucky to have gotten it back at all, despite the condition it was in. Fast forward to late  Aug. 2011-The recharge port broke and having worked with Jango in the past, who has worked on some other Larbels previously, I sent her off for some much needed TLC from our favorite Bounty Hunter! With the holidays coming up, extended work hours and Joshes' move, it took awhile, but I knew she was in great hands! When a certain 4 armed cyborg we all know and love (GG/LDM) helped Jango with the machining, I was even more excited! With Erv's recent release of the totally new PC 2.0 ( now a true "baby" CF)  I was thrilled to have this go into my Unicorn saber. With Madcow's "Fates" font and a great Alex Gordon Boot, She's as perfect as can be.

I really look forward to getting her back and want to thank Jango for his excellent work and upgrades and his attention to detail. The extra time that he took to repaint her is just an example of his painstaking great work! His hard work, care and planning have totally restored this saber, and with GG's help, I have the second nicest Qui-Gon out there, next to the SC/VV Qui of course!

Thank you Josh!

UPDATE- Saber recieved today and she looks even better in person. Jango's repainted finish looks excellent, the blade's blue FoC really contrasts the green main led, and as for sound, much improved. Still not as loud as I'd like, but being a once solid Larbel, there is only so much that Jango and GG could machine on her for space and resonance. All in all I am Very pleased with how she turned out!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:22:12 AM by sithslayer1 »

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:14:21 AM »
Updated.
Powder Coated the main body in satin black.
New main Led, 2W HB speaker and new power supply.
Machined pommel.

Specs
PC 2.0
Tri-Rebel GGW
2x14650 Li-ion in hilt recharge
2W HB speaker
2x green accent leds on SB

Larbel Qui Gon Jinn Retrofit - YouTube

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Pinousse

• Master Force User
  • If so powerfull you are, why leave?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »
Realy well done upgrade :))

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
A true labor of Larbel...(.huh I mean love)

I just love these hilts. They look so awesome !

MTFBWY

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »
This particular Larbel has gone through  several stages to get to where it is now. First Goodman converted it back around 2009-2010, then Jango upgraded it about 3 years ago.  With today's speakers getting smaller and offering louder, clearer output, I thought it was time to see if the volume could get to where I wanted it.
  I reached out again to Jango  to see if he could get the volume up significantly. Well, he did! He machined out the pommel, created a speaker pod and changed the battery pack. This took a lot of time to plan it out and machine it and I really appreciate the attention to detail that Josh put into this!
I still can't believe how much louder and clearer it is now, no longer muffled, and the old Led Engine 10 watt led was replaced with a beautiful Tri Rebel Green, with white FoC. He also did a beautiful powder coat job, so the saber came back to me really looking like a different  Qui! I couldn't be happier! I have a screen accurate, rare converted Larbel Qui with a 1" blade holder that is actually reasonably loud!

Thanks again to Jango for his top notch saber skills.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:54:14 PM by sithslayer1 »

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
This particular Larbel has gone through  several stages to get to where it is now. First Goodman converted it back around 2009-2010, then Jango upgraded it about 3 years ago.  With today's speakers getting smaller and offering louder, clearer output, I thought it was time to see if the volume could get to where I wanted it.
  I reached out again to Jango  to see if he could get the volume up significantly. Well, he did! He machined out the pommel, created a speaker pod and changed the battery pack. This took a lot of time to plan it out and machine it and I really appreciate the attention to detail that Josh put into this!
I still can't believe how much louder and clearer it is now, no longer muffled, and the old Led Engine 10 watt led was replaced with a beautiful Tri Rebel Green, with white FoC. He also did a beautiful powder coat job, so the saber came back to me really looking like a different  Qui! I couldn't be happier! I have a screen accurate, rare converted Larbel Qui with a 1" blade holder that is actually reasonably loud!

Thanks again to Jango for his top notch saber skills.

Yes this is really awesome. JANGO does some really nice work. That is so cool that you got it and it looked like a different saber with the new powdercoating. And sounded better, too! Nice.

retrousse