fiduciary

Author Topic: CF9 constant clash and swing on startup, but works after changing font  (Read 556 times)

Offline hectron

• No Force
  • Formally known as Hectron
New member of this forum here.  Was hoping for a more triumphant introduction, but I've run into a problem with my first saber build.

I first posted this on the TCSS forum, and while it seems to be similar to what a few other posters have experienced, I haven't received any responses yet.

Built a saber in late December using a CF 9 board I bought on clearance from the TCSS. Shortly after getting it put together and running the SD card died.
This happens occasionally with SD cards so I figured I got a bad one, and replaced it with a new one that was reformatted and set up with the stock config from the Plecter Labs site.
On activation the saber immediately started making constant swing and clash sounds.
I thought that it was feedback from the speaker so I tried adjusting the sensitivity and the distance of the board from the speaker, but this had no effect.

After messing around with it for a while my kid pointed out that it worked normally when we switch sound fonts during the same session.

The battery is fully charged and the board looks clean under a magnifying glass. The config is currently stock, but I have tried tweaking the motion sensing parameters which seems to have little effect on the problem.
I've verified there are no shorts and have re-soldered my connections once to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Don't see any obvious signs of damage to components, but the area around the motion sensor seems to be a little hot when running. Not sure if this is normal or not.
Don't have a R.I.C.E. connector, so can't do real-time checking.
This happens whether the board is in the saber or when it's pulled and laid out on the bench, and I've checked it with various combinations of sound, main LED and FOC LED's disconnected.
Also, this doesn't seem to be linked to any specific font.  It always starts up flashing and clashing, and then settles down once we switch or re-select the current font.

Does this sound like a config or component problem?  If component is there a repair option?
In hindsight I wish I'd installed a R.I.C.E. connector, and may still do so.

At the end of the day I got a good deal on the board, and it works, but any help would be appreciated.

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem:
1 - Remove the kill key. The saber boots.
2 - Activate the saber.  It ignites and immediately begins making swing and clash sounds.
3 - Deactivate the saber, and use the auxiliary button to select a font (even select the same font).
4 - Reactivate the saber.  It ignites and operates normally.  (This is true for all subsequent font changes as well.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:59:07 AM by hectron »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: CF9 constant clash and swing on startup, but works after changing font
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 06:30:45 AM »
you'd need to wire a RICE port + get a rice cable then log via serial terminal to see why the sensor doesn't initalize properly.
I'm guessing a bad port or weak battery that brings a lot of ripple during the boot. With the vocal menu selection of the font, the whole thing has more time to stabilize

the reboot (aux switch) gives the proper time for the power supply to be applied. I suspect your recharge port is "weak" or "noisy"

Offline hectron

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 08:47:43 AM »

The recharge port might be the culprit then, as it's been a little finicky when trying to connect it to the charger and doesn't always make a good connection.
I'm making another order soon, and I'll include both a new recharge port and a R.I.C.E. connector and cable.
A battery is already part of that order and I'll be able to test out that possibility as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline hectron

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »
Took a while to get get both time and parts, but I did swap out both the battery and the recharge port.
I'm still left with the same problem where the board produces constant swings and clashes on startup, but operates normally after switching or reloading a font.

Any other ideas?

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 07:42:33 AM »
I would turn debug on and look at the logs output. If the motion sensor init fails somewhere, it should be in the logs. It's really like the power isn't applied in a straight way, hence it's still wonky when it tries to init the motion sensor while, upon reboot, the board make a clean and long reset of the auxiliary power supply (3.3V) that is used on the sensor.
I would try also the saber with a power switch instead of the recharge port, just in case, to rule it out

retrousse