fiduciary

Author Topic: Teensy Saber v3 still viable?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Teensy Saber v3 still viable?
« on: October 22, 2019, 03:53:31 AM »
Okay, here's the deal: I have designed my next saber, and effectively, the main feature I'm planning can only be powered by an open-source board design. I was planning on going DIYino again, but I've done four DIYinos now, and I would like to try my hand at a Teensysaber.

Now, I own one Proffie, but because of the aforementioned main feature, I can't use it for this saber. A teensy+Teensysaber v3 setup is pretty much the only viable option. I can make my own Teensysaber v3 shield; I can get the parts easy enough and have access to a reflow station that I've been meaning to learn how to use for some time, so this would be the perfect project for it.

What I'm more concerned about is long term viability of the teensysaber v3, now that the proffieboard is a thing. Is there going to come a point, say, a year or so down the line, where future firmware updates are going to be proffieboard exclusive, or something like that?

Better late than never.

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: Teensy Saber v3 still viable?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »
I can't promise anything, but I have no plans to stop supporting the TeensySabers anytime soon. I have teensysabers myself, and I would prefer to be able to keep updating them.
I'm curious what capability you need that the proffieboard doesn't have though. (Proffieboards are also open source and open hardware you know....)

Also, if I ever decided to stop supporting TeensySabers, I would probably create a ProffieOS branch specifically for teensysabers which would at least incorporate bugfixes and accept patches from other people, so I wouldn't abandon it completely.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: Teensy Saber v3 still viable?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
I can't promise anything, but I have no plans to stop supporting the TeensySabers anytime soon. I have teensysabers myself, and I would prefer to be able to keep updating them.
I'm curious what capability you need that the proffieboard doesn't have though. (Proffieboards are also open source and open hardware you know....)

That's fair enough. I kinda assumed that with the proffie taking a life of it's own, the teensysaber shield would become a thing of the past.

And I could tell you, but that'd be spoiling the surprise...
Better late than never.

retrousse