fiduciary

Author Topic: A storm has come...  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Quixotic Jedi

• No Force
A storm has come...
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
This is a story about a very good friend of mine, who is about a close to being a geek as a blue whale is to being able to fly through outer space. When we met I was in the middle of building my very first lightsaber, which I call Obsession, and I was always talking about how close I was to completing it. She would look at me with the same look you'd associate with someone that was about to be picked up by men in lab coats and butterfly nets. "Sure you build lightsabers," she would say with that sceptical lilt to her voice. "What are these, toys?" I tried to explain that these were very high quality movie style props that did everything a real lightsaber would do short of actually being able to cut through matter. She would smile and nod, but never really got it. Until she came to visit and I powered up one of my sabers for her. She was completely mesmerized. She had seen the movies before and enjoyed them, but not like a rabid fan that wanted a lightsaber. But something about actually seeing how the blade ignited and the saber started to hum and make swinging and clashing sounds made the 10 year old in her want a lightsaber, bad.

So, I showed her all about building lightsabers and we came up with a design that fit her personality. Now she had never really been into geek type stuff, but now she's designing costumes for cosplay that match the character she came up with to match her saber. A saber we call...

The Storm Saber!

This saber is quite a departure from all my previous builds. She was very specific about the color scheme and it took me weeks of trial and error, mostly error, to get them right. This being the first time I ever powder coated anything probably had something to do with that, but the results speak for themselves. This saber also has my first ever attempt at salt water etching, with more trial and error ensuing. I would explain what I would be doing with her design as I was etching and powdercoating, and she would look at me with that sceptical eye and say "are you sure this is gonna work?" I'd just say "trust me, I know what I'm doing" in my best fake it til you make voice.

So here's the run down on the specs. It's all MHS parts with some custom machining on the pommel. Custom 'Madcow' style switches. There's a cartouche that's salt water etched with the word 'storm' in an aurebesh hand written style font. There's a lightning bolt engraved in the hilt that turns into a faux crystal chamber lit by a 5MM RGB LED.

Here's the rest of the specs:

Tri Cree R/G/rB blade LED
18650 3.7V battery
Prizm 3.5 sound card
Recharge port
2W Bass speaker

When I finished it all up and showed it to her for the first time she acted like a kid on Christmas morning. I loaded it with some fun fonts like Thrasher and Godzilla because I knew she'd get a kick out of them. The main font is Novastar's Storm Sizzle II because it fits with the theme of the saber, with its rain sizzle effects and thunderclaps.

Oh, by the way, my friend's name?

Stormy!

And now on to the glams!

Thanks for looking.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: A storm has come...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »
wow I love that!! Congrats !! :grin:

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »
Very nice! I really like the red color, and the etching is top notch.

Offline BruceKegley

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
    • Phenq amazon
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:24:29 AM »

This saber is quite a departure from all my previous builds. She was very specific about the color scheme and it took me weeks of trial and error, mostly error, to get them right. This being the first time I ever powder coated anything probably had something to do with that, but the results speak for themselves. This saber also has my first ever attempt at salt water etching, with more trial and error ensuing. I would explain what I would be doing with her design as I was etching and powdercoating, and she would look at me with that sceptical eye and say "are you sure this is gonna work?" I'd just say "trust me, I know what I'm doing" in my best fake it til you make voice.

So, this is your second saber? Great result. And I love the lightning etching.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 03:46:04 AM by BruceKegley »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:17:47 AM »
VERY nice indeed...I particularly like the lit lightning bolt...BRAVO!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »
I love it!

So crazy! Awesome lightning bolt and lighting there

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
A great looking saber for sure.

...but am I the only one to notice the necro-posting? I was reading the saber's specs and wondering "why is he still using a Prism 3.5 for a new build?" Then I realized, this was first posted in April 2017.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
A great looking saber for sure.

...but am I the only one to notice the necro-posting? I was reading the saber's specs and wondering "why is he still using a Prism 3.5 for a new build?" Then I realized, this was first posted in April 2017.

It’s OK.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
Compliments never grow old.  And since it's never too late to give one...

Congratulations on a job well done @Quixotic Jedi  !  And a good story too. Welcome to the Force @Stormy  !

retrousse