fiduciary

Author Topic: Why is it that every saber that gets opened in customs is damaged?  (Read 3222 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Is it just me?  or are customs workers all really that lazy?  I just received a saber in the mail to be upgraded and the sender said that the damage isn't possible by my theory.  My theory originally was that they opened the box with a 7" long knife and scratched the saber the whole way down. 

I just checked the packaging, and I was wrong.  They cut open the bubblewrap with a knife lengthwise rather than at the ends where it was taped.  I'm livid right now and so is the person who sent me the saber.  So now I ask, is there anything we can do?  Is there someway we can get some money for this to help cover the cost of repairs or a new hilt if necessary?  Insured or not (I am too furious to check the box), someone else damaged the saber, and they are paying for it.  I just want to know if there is an official way I can do it or if I have to drive to the customs office myself and use methods that I can't mention on the forums.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Saber was overnighted via FedEx for those wondering. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:30:15 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Why is it that every saber that gets opened in customs is damaged?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »
Rule of Customs:
If u can put something in a box to ship, Customs can find a way to make it a paperweight.

With all the hoo-haw created about how UPS and FED EX throws boxes around like lawn darts in 1970's suburbia, you'd think the news channels would do a story on customs once in a while.

Our hobby though, creates an item that from a certain point view, (X-RAY, etc) looks potentially dangerous, so I suspect a box with a metal cylinder full of electronics probably will get inspected moreso than that fruit cake I sent overseas.
(If I have to suffer through fruit cake, ...so does the rest of the world).

Just wait until someone contacts u to let u know that custom removed all the guts of the saber to "inspect" it.  

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:34:56 AM by DARTH VADER »

Offline cordaroyfog

• Master Force User
  • Just your friendly neighborhood Fog...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
I've received hundreds of sabers, and never has one been opened by either UPS, Fedex, or USPS, international or within the US.

You say it was overnighted with fedex but came through customs...where did it come from?

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
It was US customs that opened it, and it came from mexico. 

Offline Darthlwin

• Master Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »
Yup. I just had a Mr YODA graflex shipped to me and the customs over here insisted that I go down to their hq so that they could open up the package with me right there. Thankfully, I was able to get my dad to do it on my behalf, and I really hope they haven't scratched it in such a way.

I feel your pain dude. Good luck on settling it!

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »
Yup. I just had a Mr YODA graflex shipped to me and the customs over here insisted that I go down to their hq so that they could open up the package with me right there. Thankfully, I was able to get my dad to do it on my behalf, and I really hope they haven't scratched it in such a way.

I feel your pain dude. Good luck on settling it!

I videotaped myself opening it, but it wasn't a video that would hold up in any court.  I was just proving to my client that I didn't do it.  From the video you can tell that the box is sealed by their "US customs tape"  and when I open it, it isn't sealed, but when I pull the saber out, it falls right out of the bubblewrap.  You can also tell that I didn't cut the box the way that would have been required to scratch the saber like that.  there isn't even a flap on the box there. 

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »
I think the key is in how one fills out the customs forms and describes what they're sending.  There's been some packages that I could tell were opened and inspected, but the goods were never damaged.  Always a good idea to take pics prior to shipping the package out, insure the package for the appropriate value, and make sure it's received how it is sent out.  If not, you've got your pics and insurance to cover any losses.

And...umm...anything coming up from mexico is gonna get the eagle eye due to...stuff.  Especially given the look and feel of these, as someone else said, through an xray machine.

Support our Font Makers!

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:45:57 AM »
Things from Mexico get opened in both directions frequently.  There are reasons.  I have no idea how to prevent what happened to you from happening.  Sounds like the person packed it well.  "Customs" will not pay for the damage.  If it is a scratch, can it be buffed out on a buffer?  If so, I would contact someone with a high speed buffer and have it repaired.

Facebook: VVFB

Online Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »
it happens alot alex iv had sabers sent back to me from buyers on 2 occasions who say the saber doesnt operate and when i get it back all the wires are pulled out

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »
If he agrees, I'll post pics to show you guys.  Some of it might be able to be buffed out, but the worst of it looks really deep.  I don't know if it can be fixed with anything less than a turn down on a lathe to be honest. 

Just picture having a saber wrapped in 4 layers of bubblewrap in your hands.  Then, instead of cutting the top and bottom sections of the bubblewrap off, you slice the bubblewrap with a 4" long knife lengthwise, scraping the saber the whole way down.  That's what happened.  The packaging speaks for itself.  I didn't realize it till after I had opened it. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:54:57 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
There are some folks you know who just happen to have a lathe and a bufffer ;) :D.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »
There are some folks you know who just happen to have a lathe and a bufffer ;) :D.

I know, I just don't know exactly what can be done.  I contacted the original smith, since he would be the person who would know best (well, there might be one other  :D). 

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
Man i'd be furious if that happened to me too. What an incredibly insolent way to open a bubble wrapped pack...
 >:(

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 09:20:29 AM »
If I were at fault, my personal mkvi would be on it's way back to the sender already and I'd take the one that is scratched.  I can assure you of that.  

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:22:17 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »
i agree, furious isn't anywhere near how i would feel,.. i guess hindsight is brilliant BUT including quality photos, full and complete description AND a special sub note describing how to carefully open the packaging best along with your greatfull thanks and appreciation for there compliance MIGHT help. ...certainly hope a repair can be made soon.

retrousse