fiduciary

Author Topic: Blade tip removal / switch repair questions  (Read 5706 times)

Offline MahtSmiff

• Padawan Learner
Blade tip removal / switch repair questions
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »
Sorry to stray from just one topic but I'd like to kill two birds with one stone(in this case post). If this is in the wrong area feel free to move the topic to the appropriate venue. 

I have a 1" thick walled ultrablade. I want to remove the blade tip and replace it with a bullet tip. I've read that ultrablades adhere the tip somehow, any way to remove it without damaging the blade? What's the best glue to adhere the bullet tip if/when I do get the tip off?

I was dueling with a friend and he hit the plastic part of the switch on my elder. It fell off and it has since been lost in the grass, never to return. This did not hurt the switch, still functions fine. Now that it's gone it's quite easy to turn the saber off without meaning to. After brainstorming, I thought of getting a nut/bolt of similar size as the plastic piece and using epoxy glue for metals to fasten it into place. I'm a bit worried that I will get the glue on the switch while trying to repair it thus ruining the switch itself. Is there anyway to protect the switch through the process? Anyone have a better suggestion? Here's a pic for reference.

Thanks in advance.   

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Blade tip removal / switch repair questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
The easiest way to rem0ve a US tip, is to simply pry it off slowly and carefully using a thin knife or something similar. Just be careful.

As far as the button, ....I think replacing it entirely would be easier than making a new guard for it.

Offline MahtSmiff

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »
I can not for the life of me get this blade tip off. Any other suggestions? I have a new tip for it so if it gets damaged it doesn't matter to me. I just want the darn thing off

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
If u have a dremel, you can cut it off.

A pipe cutter works well also, ...but U may have to trim off a bit more, ...about 3/4" of blade.

You will most likely have to trim your film as well.

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
Yeah....  I would recommend trimming the top and bottom....  Cut just above the glued portion at the base of your blade,  and then remove your film.  This way you won't mess up the top of the film when you cut off the tip.  Just realize doing this, you'll probably have to trim your blade at least 2-3 inches.  Make sure you get a nice straight cut at the top, so the new tip will fit flush.  Then re-insert your film with enough of a space at the end to re-glue. 

You can refer to Qui-Gons tutorial if you need any help....

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14080.0

Oh yeah....  As far as glue on the tip, I use Goop....  You can find it at alot of hardware stores, or Walmart. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:27:59 PM by Jin Ke »

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
WELD-ON 16. It chemically welds the poly-c together. It's what's on there now. Wal-mart usually carries it.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline MahtSmiff

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »
Thank you all, I have successfully removed it. As soon as I get the glue i'll have a bullet tip. As far as the button is concerned I ended up avoiding replacing the button and used epoxy putty to put a washer there, perhaps a bad idea? It works so that's a plus. Might this come back and bite me where the sun don't shine? Probably.

On a side note,  while I was at the work bench I also added a d ring to my youngling to make the end cap easier to remove.

Also, I'd like to thank TCSS for the fiber one coupons that were used for padding. That stuff is delish  :D

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »
Not really relevant now, but how I pop off tips is by putting the cutter wheel of a pipe cutter in the gap between blade and tip. Tighten it down a few turns and spin the cutter around. The tip will pop right off.

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline MahtSmiff

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:55:21 PM »
Not really relevant now, but how I pop off tips is by putting the cutter wheel of a pipe cutter in the gap between blade and tip. Tighten it down a few turns and spin the cutter around. The tip will pop right off.

Advice is always relevant, even when too late. Thanks for the tip Aluke. I'm always searching for a plethora of options to choose from.

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 02:12:02 AM »
I use batterys destoned for the trash and basicly use it like a slide hammer, but dont du this if you have a mirror for the tip.

Offline aiminglow

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 07:30:37 AM »
I know this is replying to a dead thread, I'm just doing this for anyone who comes across this and wants a non-destructive method. A dremel or pipe cutter is going to cause unnecessary damage to either the tip, the blade, or both since they can be somewhat thick for such small parts. My method has been very reliable.

This will work, unless they literally fused the pieces together (lol)

If I need to remove one of my tips during a conversion: I take an exacto blade and line it up to where the tip and the blade meet. I kinda seesaw it until it starts to go in between the tip and blade. Once it bit into it slightly, I take a hammer and, with little to moderate force, hit the exacto blade until it goes in just a little further. You don't want to go in too far or you'l cut into the core of the tip, though it's not the end of the world if you do - the tip is all one piece. After, I remove the exacto blade from where it was, then rotate the blade - rinse and repeat. I do this until I've made four cuts into the adhesive. After that, I can usually take a thin flat head screw driver and pry up. I pry up a little on each side so as to not warp anything. Done this several times and you'd never know, and the tips still adhere just like day one.

retrousse