fiduciary

Author Topic: Neopixel Ascend (Video in OP)  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
Neopixel Ascend (Video in OP)
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »
Wow!  Purchased on Jan. 16 and just got shipping notification today the 25th.  A nine day turn around time!  That is what I call good business.  Thanks Rob!  I did order mine without any anodizing, planning to add powder coating or possibly etching down the road.

My Neopixel blade build is in progress.  Adafruit Skinny strips arrived today along with resistor.  Trans white blade and PCB should be here by Saturday.  All other supplies are in house.

Stay tuned for pics, blade build, and video when all is complete.  Excited to see what all the fuss is about.

Also likely need to invest in better batteries.  Happy to hear some suggestions on that topic.  AW & Panasonic are suggested by most manufacturers.

VIDEO:
GCS Ascend Neopixel - YouTube
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:51:22 PM by Darth Smorgis »

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
Re: Neopixel Ascend (Video in OP)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:36:32 PM »
Neopixel Ascend arrived today.  Works Great with the blade that I constructed.  All I had to do was change the number of pixels on the SD card to match the number of pixels in my blade.  Really enjoying the scrolling effects and localized blaster effects.  Color changing and functionality of the saber is seamless as usual.  Will try to post video just as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:45:40 PM by Darth Smorgis »

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
I'm glad you're pleased.
Looking forward to video!

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
Went ahead and made a video.  Added to Original Post as well.

GCS Ascend Neopixel - YouTube

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 02:03:05 AM »
That's really cool - nice work.

I've only been peripherally following the neopixel advances - but it's starting to look like they are coming along nicely.

One quick question - I assume it would be possible to speed up the power down effect (with a qoff maybe)? it was a little slow in this video for my preference (it's not a criticism, just a preference thing). Otherwise the effects look awesome - I really want to see the localised blaster bolts in person. Combined with the fantastic new multibolt feature that seems like it would be a lot of fun to play with for choreography.

The Ascend is still my favourite 'practical' saber of any that I own - so a nice choice for a neopixel. I recently upgraded mine from a really old CS to a PRIZMv5.1 - the change in response with the new motion sensor is a complete game-changer in my opinion (and you will have that with the CSv4). Nice score  :grin:

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:39:08 AM »
One quick question - I assume it would be possible to speed up the power down effect (with a qoff maybe)? it was a little slow in this video for my preference (it's not a criticism, just a preference thing).

The crolling effect can indeed be adjusted in the settings.  I personally like it to match the sound even though it may be a bit slow on a few fonts.

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
Since Neopixel does not allow for backlit momentary switch, I decided to jazz it up a little.  Replaced the white plate with an old Pastor Jedi V2 card.

Offline mkliewer

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi,

I bought the NeoPixel Ascend as well.  can you provide a parts list to make the blade?  thanks

retrousse