fiduciary

Author Topic: TCSS neopixel connector wiring?  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Darth PJs

• Force User
  • Don't Question R2-D2's street cred!
TCSS neopixel connector wiring?
« on: December 09, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
Greetings!

I'm working on a saber build with a NBv4 with the intention of making a neopixel blade. My parts arrived and I'm not sure how to wire the PCB connector to the board or to the blade as there are multiple positives and negatives.

Here's the link that has a picture of what I have:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pre-Soldered-NeoPixel-PCB-connector-and-pin-set-P1340.

I wired to the hilt side with the DIN in the middle and the positive and negative leads directly beside the DIN wire. I then wired for the blade and I've got sound, etc, but no blade.

Any help or advice would be awesome.

Thanks!

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Re: TCSS neopixel connector wiring?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
To explain the reason for the multiple Positive and Negative connections.

NeoPixel connectors have multiple Positive and Negative leads in order to provide the required current. A single small wire (and pin) is unable to deliver the required current, but multiple wires and pins combined can. It is expected that all the Positives are wired together with multiple wires (28 AWG or bigger), same for the Negative. The Data wire does not carry that much current so it can be smaller.

-Denzil

Offline Darth PJs

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
To explain the reason for the multiple Positive and Negative connections.

NeoPixel connectors have multiple Positive and Negative leads in order to provide the required current. A single small wire (and pin) is unable to deliver the required current, but multiple wires and pins combined can. It is expected that all the Positives are wired together with multiple wires (28 AWG or bigger), same for the Negative. The Data wire does not carry that much current so it can be smaller.

-Denzil

Thanks!  It's a lot to think about, but I think I get it. 

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »
From what I've read on FB groups, there's footprint for a SMD resistor for two pads in the middle for the data line on the blade side connector, and these need to be bridged if you're placing the resistor elsewhere - maybe this could be your issue with the blade not lighting up?

Offline Darth PJs

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:56 PM »
From what I've read on FB groups, there's footprint for a SMD resistor for two pads in the middle for the data line on the blade side connector, and these need to be bridged if you're placing the resistor elsewhere - maybe this could be your issue with the blade not lighting up?

I'll check it out!  I've not briged anything yet so I'll give it a try!  Thanks!

Offline GavilanOrd

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Hi all, I have the same question but I'm not fully understanding the responses here.  The neopixel blade/LED's have one data, one positive and one negative wire out while the TCSS PCB connectors have 2 pads for each (2 negative, 2 positive and 2 data).  Do you split the wire and connect the positive wire from the neopixel to both the postitive pads on the PCB, doing the same for the negative and data?

Thanks!

Offline 3251bimmer

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
I assumed, and possibly wrong, that on the blade side, there’s a set of pads for each stripe... so you can do back to back and each stripe gets its own positive, negative, and data.

On the hilt side I believe it’s 1 negative to L1, 1 negative to L2, and then both positive wires to the positive pad/battery, and then the data line to the LS pad.

Can someone please confirm?

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:45:31 AM »
Was going to reply in so many words same as what you just wrote 3251bimmer - hope that clarifies GavilianOrd - I guess from what you wrote you were picturing it with one strip, rather than 2 back to back. If you made a custom string from the individual 5mm neopixel LEDS, then you would do as you describe for the + and - on the blade side, but would only need to connect the data to either of the two pads (and either put an SMD resistor in place where there's the two central square pads for that, or have the resistor elsewhere in the chain and bridge the SMD pads on the blade PCB).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:47:44 AM by Sethski »

Offline GavilanOrd

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »
Ahh, yes - I was envisioning the KR Sabers method of connecting the two strips and THEN connecting it to the PCB.  With the TCSS connection, you could connect both without having to wire the two to each other first.  I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about but feel free to look up his video on YouTube to see what I mean.  Makes perfect sense now!  Thank you! 

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:57:24 AM »
Also get better where you were coming from having seen Khal's vid - I did see it before and thought it was really helpful and well-presented - he contributes some great stuff to the hobby!  :wink:

Offline 3251bimmer

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
Hey everyone! Not sure if you saw, but TCSS has a post that said there’s a spot on the blade side PCB for an in-line resistor... 2 square pads in the center. These need to be bridged

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
Yep - I don't think that was originally included in the description, good that it's been added for clarity  :smiley:

retrousse