fiduciary

Author Topic: What is on the metal of my Graflex 2.0 hilt??  (Read 2229 times)

Offline skywalkerdude

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
What is on the metal of my Graflex 2.0 hilt??
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:41:55 AM »
Hey everyone! so i've been slowing collecting all the parts needed for my first TFA Graflex 2.0 build. I recently pulled my Graflex hilt out of the box and discovered some weird markings and it appears the metal is getting rough. A little bit of weathering is cool and authentic, but should i be concerned? how do i care for the hilt?
thanks!

(i have images, but can't seem to be able to post any)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:44:07 AM by skywalkerdude »

Offline SOSDD

• Force User
Re: What is on the metal of my Graflex 2.0 hilt??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
Aluminum. It shouldn’t require much care but a miracle polishing cloth works well.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 12:15:30 PM »
Hey @skywalkerdude  !  I'm pretty sure the Graflex 2.0's are made with nickel covered brass.  Or chrome over brass, it's one or the other. 

Head to your local Honda dealership (motorcycle or car) and get some Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish.  That or get a can of Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish from your local motorcycle dealership.  Pick up a microfiber wrag if you don't have one already.  Spray a light mist onto the microfiber cloth. 1-2 seconds or just long enough to go across the cloth and back again.  You only need a little to do a lot!

Wipe the metal with the wrag.  The cleaner/polish should take care of any light oxidation/rust that may be occuring on your hilt.  It will also act as a protectant to help prevent any further oxidation.

If the metal is really pitting, you might try an old T-shirt/new cloth baby diaper wrag with a bit of NeverDull wadding wrapped up in it.  You can get it at most auto supply stores.  NeverDull is excellent at removing rust/tarnish/oxidation.  Then hit it with the Spray Cleaner and Polish.

If you have a photo hosting account at Imgur, Flickr, etc.  highlight the url to the photo, come back here, start a post, click on the Mona Lisa icon ("Insert Image"), hit CTRL+V, click on "Preview" and see if your image posts up correctly.

Good Luck with both~!

Offline Blunt instrument

• No Force
  • Hello
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »
Graflex 2.0's are aluminum. Original Graflex flashes and TGS replicas are nickel plated brass

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »
Hmmm, the 2.5's are brass, I thought the 2.0's were too.  Whichever, the NeverDull will knock out the problem and the 'Honda Spray' will protect it.

Just know that NeverDull will turn aluminum black and you'll totally freak out for a second when you first see it happening.  Just rub it clean with a papertowel before you use the 'Honda Spray'.  It should be free of any "rough feeling" after you're done and be all nice and shiny again!

Offline TheUnchosenOne

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
The top half of a 2.0 is nickel-plated brass, the bottom is aluminum.

Offline Blunt instrument

• No Force
  • Hello
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
Found the info from Korbanth from before the 2.0's release (mid 2015):

Graflex 2.0 saber run- July 7 update last page

Ridire's polishing technique should sort any blemishes you have.

Offline skywalkerdude

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
Thanks so much guys this really helps!

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
Just make sure you are working on a blemish and actual cleaning v/s the plating peeling off.
That has been an issue with some and if you find the plating is lifting post pics or a video
of it so we can see what you are referring to in order to confirm what is going on  :wink:

retrousse