fiduciary

Author Topic: The new (Jan. 2017) Graflex Shop replicas are looking very good  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
  • An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
It looks like TGS is in good shape to hit their January delivery date, and the initial parts run is looking good as of 12/21/16:

https://www.facebook.com/TheGraflexShop/posts/994106147401468

Also, I really appreciate the frequent updates and photos of the product.  Very important things to do when people are giving you money in advance on the strength of your reputation.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Re: The new (Jan. 2017) Graflex Shop replicas are looking very good
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
While I have been in the process of updating the Look of my Graflex Chassis
I have been working with Graflexshop this past year on designing and adding
new items including the creating on a conversion ready graflex shell.

It is taking a while but things are coming along and the new shell is in
process as you can see form the posts.

There are new functioning Red buttons that are more accurate to the vintage shape
along with the New Glass eye thumbscrews that the newest versions will be using
real glass cabochons and are available in the Dark vintage color or clear as well
as Kobold D-rings and more to come. :wink:

I'll be posting more about them as they are ready and can be made available.

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »
While I have been in the process of updating the Look of my Graflex Chassis
I have been working with Graflexshop this past year on designing and adding
new items including the creating on a conversion ready graflex shell.

It is taking a while but things are coming along and the new shell is in
process as you can see form the posts.

There are new functioning Red buttons that are more accurate to the vintage shape
along with the New Glass eye thumbscrews that the newest versions will be using
real glass cabochons and are available in the Dark vintage color or clear as well
as Kobold D-rings and more to come. :wink:

I'll be posting more about them as they are ready and can be made available.

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Whoa, I didn't expect a reply from the man himself!  Hopefully you didn't feel pointed to in the photos and updates comment, that wasn't my intent.  I'm a little vague on which suppliers are working with which vendors in this community.  Is GraflexShop different from The Graflex Shop?

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
Another update yesterday, https://www.facebook.com/TheGraflexShop/posts/997692420376174 TGS placed a vintage Graflex side by side with their latest replica proof, and naturally a brand new proof next to a vintage flash tube is pretty easy to spot, but of course the Facebook crowd then proceeds to pick at every detail they don't like.  On one hand, TGS is just as picky as they are, and maybe it will result in more accuracy, but on the other hand, these already look better than any Graflex 2.0 I've seen.  I'd build my saber from the proof with no hesitation, especially if the alternative means playing ping-pong with the manufacturer until March or April.

Offline Millicente

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »
This looks awesome

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »
TGS's graflex replica looks incredible!
Recently, there were some gripes about Roman's graflex being some-what inaccurate and having defects.
So, I wonder which one would have higher quality and accuracy.
Does anyone know which replica Master Yoda is going to use for his future graflex commissions?

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 05:51:15 AM »
TGS's graflex replica looks incredible!
Recently, there were some gripes about Roman's graflex being some-what inaccurate and having defects.
So, I wonder which one would have higher quality and accuracy.
Does anyone know which replica Master Yoda is going to use for his future graflex commissions?

Master Yoda is currently working with TGS on the production of their Graflex shell to help produce the best product possible.  I would imagine this is because he will likely be using them on his upcoming builds.

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:25:45 AM »
The biggest hurdle in terms of screen accuracy is that the bulges around the button and the glass eye are apparently very difficult to impossible to get right using modern production methods.  TGS is trying "one more thing" to try and get this as correct as possible before they ship, so we are looking at mid-May at the soonest.  Everything else is ready, according to them.  If they get this right, they'll be the only replica manufacturer to do so.  This is the sort of detail that you really have to be up close to tell the difference. 

In the meantime I found a reasonably priced (for a vintage) upper tube with some corrosion pitting, but it's good enough to do a full build while I'm waiting for the final replica to arrive. 

One big thing that newbies to this hobby might not know is that the Graflex 2.0 designs on the market depend on an inner sleeve to join the upper and lower tubes, which also greatly constricts the available room for electronics.  I've never been content with the brightness or the look of in-hilt illumination, so I've been concentrating on a variety of LED and neopixel blades that inevitably require more battery size, and more electronics, and more wiring.  That's  why the Graflex 2.0 has never really been an option for me.

retrousse