fiduciary

Author Topic: The 7 Forms of the Old Jedi Order  (Read 73302 times)

Offline cyclops

• Force User
The 7 Forms of the Old Jedi Order
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:59:22 AM »
Latley I have been researching the 7 forms of the old Jedi Order and how these are performed
but my research is incomplete. I have found no videos for Form 2, Form 6 and Form 7.

Below I have made a list of the youtube vids that I have found for anybody who has not seen them (hard to believe  :D) Absolutly brilliant. My thanks to the state Jedi's
and all other persons involved in the making of these vids, they are very educational and I bet fun to make. Thanks!

FORM 1:
Shii-Cho: Section 1 .

-Awesome moves

Shii-Cho Applied Mechanics & Theory

-Absolutely brilliant

FORM 2:
Makashi - None Found
-Does anyone know how this is performed?, wookieepedia is vague on the details.

FORM 3:
Soresu

-I think this has to be my favorite form so far. Great work.

FORM 4:
Ataru

-This looks very difficult but a brilliant vid.

FORM 5:
Djem So

-quite dark and short but looks great
Shien
-before the form evolved into Djem so - None Found

FORM 6:
Niman - None found

FORM 7:
Juyo/Vaapad - None Found

Are the above Star Wars Canon?
Can anyone help out with the missing forms? Do they exist? If not then can they be created?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:16:03 AM by cyclops »

Offline Firith Tar

• TWI'LEK SCHOLAR OF THE BLADE
  • Master Force User
  • Parting the clouds, seeking the way...
Re: The 7 Forms of the Old Jedi Order
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »
Well I would not call these "research" as the videos are interpretations meaning they are guessing… now that said of course these styles do not exist since well Star Wars isn’t real either… wow how negative, well on a positive note they all look good minus the Ataru this is ridicules in every sense!!! As far as the forms being canon they are, there description state the theory of the form not how to perform them. If you want to see the forms watch Star Wars as Qui-Gon is Ataru as well as Yoda and Obi-wan(TMP only), Obi-wan after TMP is Soresu Anakin is Djem So/Shien, Count Dooku is Makashi, and Mace is Vaapad. I hope this helps
There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out

Offline Ebon

• THE DARK SITH SLAYER
  • Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:10:25 AM »
There is a book called "Jedi vs Sith: the complete guide to the Force"  That has a section that lists various practitioners of each style and what the idea behind the style was.  I think of them more as fighting philosophies than as specific techiques (especially since it is fictional of course) but I change my styles and even attacking/defending angles as I spar to throw off my opponent and keep them guessing as to which angles or even parts of the blade I am attacking with so the philosophies approach just fits my mindset better than forms and such.  I don't have it with me, but I'll try and remember to look it up when I get home and see who went with what style.

Ebon

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:58:39 AM »
I had created what my impression was of and what was described of Vaapad. I was going to be for my demo for my Negotiator. But I am unsatsified at the moment with it. A few Members have seen the forms, but I don't feel they are BMFy enough! :D Eventually I'll get one going, but not for a bit. I've seen some of these vids, and they are pretty creative. Th Ataru is a bit...arial, but isn't it supposed to be. ;D

Makashi, I always thought of it as a "flashy fencer", as Christopher Lee prides himself on being a good fencer in his day and Kyle Rowling was to present a similar format, Jedi style, when he "fought" CGI Yoda. :o

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:14:52 AM »
Form 7 Juyo/Vapaad is MACE WINDU's Style.  AOTC and ROTS show this.

NIMAN is a Dual saber syle Used by Revan, Joclad Danva, Plo Koon, and even Anakin Skywalker at times.

Offline Darth Kaos

• Sith Infiltrator
  • Master Force User
  • Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »
Wow, I didn't know Revan was a Niman practitioner. I always thought that he was a Djem So user

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »
I had created what my impression was of and what was described of Vaapad. I was going to be for my demo for my Negotiator. But I am unsatsified at the moment with it. A few Members have seen the forms, but I don't feel they are BMFy enough! :D Eventually I'll get one going, but not for a bit. I've seen some of these vids, and they are pretty creative. Th Ataru is a bit...arial, but isn't it supposed to be. ;D

Makashi, I always thought of it as a "flashy fencer", as Christopher Lee prides himself on being a good fencer in his day and Kyle Rowling was to present a similar format, Jedi style, when he "fought" CGI Yoda. :o

I'm really looking forward to seeing that vid when you make it Han.  I've taken all those Quizilla quizzes and such to find my saber style, and against all reason, logic, and multiple universes, have been consistently told that this is the style I would use.  I'd love to see the style done right.

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »
Wow, I didn't know Revan was a Niman practitioner. I always thought that he was a Djem So user

In KOTOR 2 when you enter the one level, you see an image of Revan in the past.  He is holding 2 sabers.  It's considered cannon that he utilized two.

Offline cyclops

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »
If you want to see the forms watch Star Wars

No problem there except that, we are mostly seeing the combat applications of the form. Which is great but I would really like to see the full form

There is a book called "Jedi vs Sith: the complete guide to the Force"  That has a section that lists various practitioners of each style and what the idea behind the style was.  I think of them more as fighting philosophies than as specific techiques (especially since it is fictional of course) but I change my styles and even attacking/defending angles as I spar to throw off my opponent and keep them guessing as to which angles or even parts of the blade I am attacking with so the philosophies approach just fits my mindset better than forms and such.  I don't have it with me, but I'll try and remember to look it up when I get home and see who went with what style.

Logically i dont see how a form could be used in a battle either but aren't the forms there to learn the basis of the movements? i.e strength, speed and coordination etc? This is just from the top of my head, so please let me know if im wrong?  :)

In KOTOR 2 when you enter the one level, you see an image of Revan in the past.  He is holding 2 sabers.  It's considered cannon that he utilized two.

Found this on Wookieepedia "Jar'Kai is a subform of Niman and is one of the oldest forms of lightsaber combat, a dual blade wielding technique."
And a little more from Wookieepedia "The application of Jar'Kai also exists as a tactic instead of a completely independent style, one example includes Sora Bulq, who utilized Jar'Kai in conjunction with Vaapad."

There are many more techniques/other forms listed but im in way over my head!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:16:30 AM by cyclops »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 03:27:47 AM »
I recetly undertook a design project for sabers for each of the 7 old order forms and in my research I found these sources among others that y'all might find interesting in this discussion:

http://www.starwars.com/games/videogames/news20080728.html

This seems mostly to acquaint players of the new weapon-fighting-game Soul Calibur IV with the basics of lightsaber combat but it is clearly explained and there are pictures of the forms being used in-film as well as in-game [I do notice though that Coleman Trebor is described as using Form III Soresu when he falls to Jango Fett whereas most other sources say he was a master of Form VI Niman]

http://lightsaberguide.darkjedibrotherhood.com/LightsaberGuide.pdf

This is more in depth though it was written for a videogaming clan so is also a bit skewed to game dynamics...but still informative and beautifully laid out...I just wish it showed diagrams of each technique listed for each form [also you'll need a .pdf reader like adobe acrobat reader to read it]

http://www.freewebs.com/lightsaber_training/

Komalis Jedi Order has put together interesting articles including these on saber forms...after reading the first page basic guide click on each form listed on the left for a considerably more in depth analysis...again not all diagrammed but much of it's techniques are at least described with attacks and/or defences claimed to be appropriate for the various forms...very interesting imo.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:29:03 AM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:43:39 AM »
Well, this is really an interesting set of articles, especially the Dark Jedi Brotherhood "manual". I booked marked it and it is a reference point I am utilizing for my "view" on Vapaad Form. I gotta have a alternate view of sword techniques aside from Iaido and Kenjutsu. ;)

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
Yes I particularly like the idea in that of Vaapad having no stances. I despise the very notion of stances.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Darth Kaos

• Sith Infiltrator
  • Master Force User
  • Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »

Thanks, Darth. I recently purchased an old-school Xbox to play KOTOR 1 and 2. I'm still at the beginning of KOTOR 1 and will be playing the Force Unleashed once it comes out  ;)

Offline cyclops

• Force User
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 12:53:52 AM »
It would be great if the none camera shy members could fill in the gaps so we have a complete compilation of the 7 forms with all the techniques for a true Jedi/Sith lightsaber form reference.
I would give it a go but to be honest all the reading from wookieepedia without a visual aid makes my head spin.

Offline Dark Jedi Sarkieros

• Padawan Learner
  • U fink u so tuf, bwing it on!
    • In The Making
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
I love the look of the ataru form, very inspiring ;D
"Haha, Kiya, show me wat u gat"
"Wat if de humans see us?"
"Den we kik sum booty!"

retrousse