fiduciary

Author Topic: LED FX Stand (Tutorial)  (Read 19429 times)

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
Re: LED FX Stand (Tutorial)
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2006, 01:38:18 PM »
How much do you think you would charge for making one  ;D.And how much did the supplies cost.
sig removed, ...animation not allowed

Offline Snoballz

• Master Force User
  • a toy never played with is not a toy at all
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »
How much do you think you would charge for making one  ;D.And how much did the supplies cost.

The supplies cost about $7, could be more if you buy the higher priced LEDs, switches, ect.  PM me if you'd like to send me your stand and have me install the LEDs for you.

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2006, 02:46:42 PM »
thanksĀ  ;D,I might trie myself first,you said radio shack would be the place to get the supplies right ?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:48:31 PM by Resident Evil »

Offline JeedaiProphet

• Padawan Learner
  • Bum a deathstick?
    • My music
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2006, 10:26:25 PM »
cool. new project! These stands look great. I think I may try one with switchable colors just for the xxx of it. Hopefully I'll be able to do this sometime this week. I'll put together a wiring diagram when I do.  :)
Got a deathstick?

Offline Snoballz

• Master Force User
  • a toy never played with is not a toy at all
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2006, 11:50:04 PM »
cool. new project! These stands look great. I think I may try one with switchable colors just for the xxx of it. Hopefully I'll be able to do this sometime this week. I'll put together a wiring diagram when I do.  :)

Switchable colors would be great.  A wiring diagram for switchable colors would be awesome!  I've kind of lost interest in this project since my FFXs are displayed vertically now.  But, like any *kid* bright lights excite me.  ;D

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »
Bright lights are awesome :o now lets see you make it strobe

Offline JeedaiProphet

• Padawan Learner
  • Bum a deathstick?
    • My music
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2006, 10:49:29 AM »

I've got an oscillator (look it up :P) I built in school a few years ago. It has a knob for adjusting how fast the 2 sets of LEDs on it alternate on/off. I wouldn't really want it in a stand, but if I can find it, and get it working again (I think I broke it...)I could theoretically put it in a stand for someone.
Got a deathstick?

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 11:49:22 AM »
Now see thats why I cant do any thing technical like that because im stupid

Offline JeedaiProphet

• Padawan Learner
  • Bum a deathstick?
    • My music
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
Now see thats why I cant do any thing technical like that because im stupid

I went to school for audio engineering, which entailed a crash-course on basic electronics. Soldering stuff together and making things light up & make sounds  is pretty fun and easy once you get some basics down. Most of the saber-related electronic work is relatively simple, and IMO just about anyone who really wants to should be able to do thier own Luxeon conversions or whatever with some practice and pacience. The main thing stopping me from doing more is $$$ issues. I highly reccomend taking credit alot more seriously than I did when I was younger! Oh, well... :P

At any rate, just do some research, get a $7 soldering iron at Radio Shack, and find some wires to practice on. You can get little kits and things to build at Hobby shops or Radio Shack (probably). You'll be building sabers and fixing old stereo equipment in no time. 

this should help...
http://thecustomsa.web133.discountasp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=903
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:26:16 AM by JeedaiProphet »
Got a deathstick?

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2006, 12:43:44 PM »
thanks man I'll keep that in mind especially since my goal in life is to be good at everything.And that should be good lessons for me since Im home schooled

Offline JeedaiProphet

• Padawan Learner
  • Bum a deathstick?
    • My music
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2006, 02:40:42 AM »
OK, I went to Radioshack today to get some supplies for my FX mod. I checked out some parts for the stand, and if I get m ysaber to a stopping point this week, which is looking more and more likely, I should have my color-changing stand ready by next weekend. Hopefully.
Got a deathstick?

Offline NickelPlate

• Force User
  • "I AM the Senate"
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2006, 07:14:21 AM »

I've got an oscillator (look it up :P) I built in school a few years ago. It has a knob for adjusting how fast the 2 sets of LEDs on it alternate on/off. I wouldn't really want it in a stand, but if I can find it, and get it working again (I think I broke it...)I could theoretically put it in a stand for someone.

You could really jazz it up and add a programmable micro with a pushbutton for selecting what color you want, or color cycling, pretty much sky is the limit. But then you gotta be familiar with programming micros. Which really isn't that hard either. I may do something like this too. Might even add a backlit LCD or vacuum flourescent display of some kind. That would be really over the top, but cool.

Regards,

NP

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2006, 11:54:32 AM »
make it an alarm clock that way you could wake up to the sound of igniting sabers

Offline GoldLdr

• Experienced Force User
  • Stay on Target!
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »
Ok, I know I am digging up chains from a year ago, but bear with me, I am new!

Can anyone give me an idea of the actual difficulty here?  As someone who has done some soldering, but almost no electronics work.  I don't know anything really about LEDs or what size batties to use etc :o.  I am going to follow the guide and see what happens.

I am going to go to Radio Shack on my way home tonight and get the parts.  I'm going to veritcally mount two of my three FX, but my Darth Maul double I am going to run horizontally and I would really dig the LED stand for it.  Since I'll have some spare stands, I figure if I mess one up I can still try again.

Thanks for any advice that can be given.  These look awesome!

-GoldLdr

Offline sycor

• Master Force User
  • Um...Hello?
    • Soylent-Red
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
If you are planning to mount the saber stand to a wall you will need to make sure to add the switch to the SIDE of the stand for obvious reasons.  Otherwise it isn't too difficult to do.  I've done several myself and I'm not all that skilled with soldering or electronic work.  I would recommend sticking with AA batteries (two if them) unless you want to get into resistors and stuff.  I've used a 9v battery before but had to have a resistor.

retrousse