fiduciary

Author Topic: Unofficial 2021 challenge poll  (Read 2917 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: Unofficial 2021 challenge poll
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2021, 03:05:39 AM »
So, October 1st again, then?
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2021, 06:03:39 PM »
Seeing as you seem to be driving this thing, you might want to throw in an extra 3 weeks for yourself   :cool:   

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2021, 09:07:02 PM »
SirRawThunderMan and myself will be live this Friday discussing star wars, lightsabers, and this lightsaber challenge on my Youtube channel:

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2021, 03:58:48 PM »
I definitely think this will be a good challenge and the parameters for disassembly and secondary parts usage is going to be
very cool to see what people come up with  :cool:

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »
It's a difficult challenge, for sure.  I agree that this needs some long lead times.  1 Oct might be reasonable, but that means you'd have to start it up relatively soon... if I could be so bold, I might even suggest a Thanksgiving deadline (late Nov) and a Christmas reveal. 

This is definitely one that favors the machine toolers... but I've done a few, and it's not out of the question for hand-toolers.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2021, 02:13:43 AM »
It's a difficult challenge, for sure.  I agree that this needs some long lead times.  1 Oct might be reasonable, but that means you'd have to start it up relatively soon... if I could be so bold, I might even suggest a Thanksgiving deadline (late Nov) and a Christmas reveal. 

This is definitely one that favors the machine toolers... but I've done a few, and it's not out of the question for hand-toolers.

Yeah, that's fair.

My apologies for not keeping up with this post, there's been some Darth Real Life stuff going on for me over the last week or so. I'm not going to go into specifics, but I'm probably going to be AFK for a little longer. A week, maybe more.
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
Ok, I'm back. Please forgive my short leave of absence. I won't go into details, but the TL;DR summary involved COVID in the family, and yeah. wasn't a great couple of weeks.

But that's mostly in the past now, and I'm getting back to things.

So, the story so far. Here's what we've agreed on up until now:

The Golden Saber Contest

Spirit of the contest:

-To make, in whatever way the contestants think possible, a working lightsaber that can be broken down in to multiple parts and reassembled, both internally and externally, with a minimum of tools. This is *not* just a matter of simply unscrewing an MHS saber, removing the chassis and calling it done.

-a finished saber should be made of multiple independent components. These parts should fit together in a way that requires no parts other than the independent components, and hold together as a functional saber.

-This can be accomplished in any way the contestants wish. If you want to make fifteen separate props so that you can take the barrel extension off your blaster and screw it into your droid caller’s frame and turn it on with your thermal detonator’s switch, then more power to you, but it isn’t a mandatory requirement. Conversely, Kanan Jarrus would also be accepted, but only if he broke his saber down even further.

-Corran Horn’s saber is an example of a halfway complete challenge saber: made from junk found lying around a cantina and scrapyard, and recognisable mostly as a swoop bike handle. Master Horn would be disqualified, however, as he meditated his saber’s internals into one solid piece that would be impossible to take apart.

Requirements:

1: Make a working custom saber, with or without sound.
2: That can be entirely assembled and disassembled with a minimum of tools
3: And incorporate multiple independent components

Eligible entries must:

1: Include a minimum of four independent sub components
2: Light up, be disassembled, reassembled, and light up again
3: Be executed, to the highest extent possible, adhering to the spirit of these guidelines

At it's core, the goal is a field strippable saber, but with enough artistic freedom that as long as it's field strippable, it's ok. if you want to make multiple props, go for it, if you want to make a saber where the 18650 is disguised as a Diatium Power Cell, that also, and anything in between. As long as it breaks down, up again, in multiple parts, and lights up.

Since there were no major objections to this as rules, I think it's safe to proceed with them. 

Contest dates:

Personally, I'm inclined to go with Eastern57's suggested dates of now until Thanksgiving (I'm assuming US not Canadian, so 25th Nov), with voting between then and Christmas (24th), for a Christmas reveal. This challenge is going to be a tough one, so the extra time is going to be welcome.

If we're all ok with this, I guess the next steps are that I'll go ask FJK if he'd be onboard to judge again, and then official permission from the Mods to run this, and we're a go.
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
Looks good so far.  There should be some mention of the contest end and reveal/voting conditions, i.e. what format shall entries be judged and how to submit an entry.

Given the nature of the build, I absolutely think this should be a video submission.  Still-shots will not satisfy the eligibility verification.  And before anyone suggests it - no, I don't believe changing the eligibility is appropriate for this challenge. 

Suggested video standard:

- Video submission must show the saber working, then must be visibly disassembled and reassembled to show continued functionality, with no video cuts.

- Video quality should be as high as possibly with good lighting and clear sight of the project with individual components clearly shown.  Video background should be as neutral as possible, recommend all white or mirrored surface with no additional background visible in the reflection.

- It is recommended that there be no dialog, video effects or additional sounds/music, the purpose of the submission video is to clearly show off your contest entry, NOT to entertain.

- Suggested format: <30 sec to show preliminary functionality, no more then 5 minutes to disassemble and reassemble (shoot for 2-3 minutes), <30 seconds to show continued functionality."

I personally don't think we need to be anonymous, but I was overruled last time...  The blank background helps, but it doesn't solve the issue of the account giving away the contestant.  If FKJ is willing to host them on his channel, that could work, and I'm sure it'll get him a few more subs too. FTR, a 5-minute HD video from my phone is about 450Mb, from my 4K camera its about 1Gb.

Other suggestions:
 - Specify what doesn't count as one of the 4 subcomponents, screws, blade etc... or make a statement that it's up the builder to decide, but will inevitably be judged on said decision.

- Specify no prizes will be bestowed or offered by any of the members.

- In the flashgun challenge, I said what it meant to me.  If you're offering a challenge to people then telling people why it's special to you may tickle a similar passion.  we may need it since the challenge is already pretty tough.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2021, 04:37:43 AM »
Other suggestions:
 - Specify what doesn't count as one of the 4 subcomponents, screws, blade etc... or make a statement that it's up the builder to decide, but will inevitably be judged on said decision.

- Specify no prizes will be bestowed or offered by any of the members.

- In the flashgun challenge, I said what it meant to me.  If you're offering a challenge to people then telling people why it's special to you may tickle a similar passion.  we may need it since the challenge is already pretty tough.

No disagreement from me. I was going to put some of those suggestions in the announcement post when it went live. As for the video stuff, I'll pass it along to FJK when I ask. :smiley:
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Brooks

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2021, 05:20:29 PM »
Do we know when this will start? I'm actually in the process of building my very first custom saber and think this would be a really fun contest

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2021, 07:45:25 AM »
Do we know when this will start? I'm actually in the process of building my very first custom saber and think this would be a really fun contest

Hopefully, some time soon. Watch this space.
Better late than never.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2021, 09:15:34 AM »
I'll be hopping in on this contest. It has been a while, and would be good to try this one out- as I've never really made anything quite like this challenge.  :cool:

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »
As to Eastern's comments about anonymity, I'm not sure to what extent, should we have an embargo on build logs?  Since we aren't playing for money, as it were, I don't think it's too serious.  Obviously anonymity means that people won't vote for or against a maker just because of who they are, on the other hand if people have engagement through out the contest it could help liven things up and draw in more entries.  One thing that has been missing here lately is lively build logs where people can share in the joy and frustrations of building a saber.  That's one of the things that drew me here as opposed to other places where it's all about buying and collecting.

It's also going to be really hard to properly present the saber in just photos.  I don't think we need to hold up launching the contest for this, but it we should have a discussion on how to present it.  It would be a shame for video production quality to be the deciding factor, so maybe we confine the video strictly demonstrating the assembly, disassembly, and functionality.  I think setting a hard time limit doesn't really work, because if someone makes a really complex build they may not have enough time to properly present their saber. 

This build also lends itself to some story telling, and perhaps some short narrative as to why the wielder needs to have a disguised saber should be included, maybe this gets left to text to level the playing field a bit?  Some of us will want to make short films, and I think that's great, perhaps that can be a secondary follow up contest for afterward, again this should be on the merit of the build, not best video production.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2021, 02:44:00 PM »
I was told that the admins wanted anonymous voting.  I tried to argue against it, but my final compromise was to request asking the members to vote on it; members voted anonymous.  The reason was that it precludes favoritism.  Which I can sort of understand from a leadership perspective... I've seen my share of forum drama... but as a regular member, I don't think it's necessary.

IMO, this MUST be a video submission, full stop.  I also think that video quality standard should still be as high as possible. Btw, just quality, not to be confused with "production value", e.g. edits, cuts, effect, none of that - just high quality, as in resolution, framing, lighting, pacing etc.  My reasoning is, if you can make a lightsaber that can be field stripped, you should be able to make a good enough video to show it off.  If not, best up your game. :cool:

I hadn't thought about the story telling aspect, I REALLY like that angle.  I've done it an I really think it enhances the end result.  Purpose is what makes design elements work, and if there's a purpose for seemingly random feature or greeble, then it should be explained for the full appreciation.  Good call, JB! :azn:

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »
I’ll weigh in here on the voting aspect - we want it to be anonymous mainly because we don’t want to have any accusations of “favoritism”. “Fairness” is the bottom line.

When that position was discussed with FJK, he agreed, especially with the rationale. He mentioned that in one of the more recent contests on TCSS, one of the contestants went fishing on social media for people to come in and vote for him, and FJK found out about it.  :police:

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

retrousse