fiduciary

Author Topic: Thin neck concept...  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
Thin neck concept...
« on: December 12, 2007, 12:53:11 PM »
Alright, so while not paying attention in English today I was thinking of ways to have a thin neck Luke ROTJ or Obi. I've been talking with Darth Tyranus about the thin necks Corbin_Das has been developing, but details are top secret. So I sat pondering how to do it and came up with this. My design utilizes 3/4 in. blades, since I actually think they look more OT accurate.

right click + view for larger view

I realized afterward that I forgot to accommodate for the space of the LED leeds, but I still think this design is very possible.

The idea behind it is that the emitter can screw together at the point where the LED is mounted. This isn't shown in the drawing because I didn't know how to demonstrate it, but it would appear to be the only way to get the LED in there. I also used an extended emitter because I knew that this design would lack in the blade socket depth department. It's also more prop accurate.

So ladies and gentlemen, is this possible or do I have "delusions of grandeur?"

-Master Mac
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free.

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
Re: Thin neck concept...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »
The thin neck that corbin was working on should be in the store by beginning of next year.

As are alot of other parts, the store is gonna get restocked and new parts are gonna be released.

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:27:14 PM »
Amazing, that's nearly 100% accurate to the design concept I came up with about 4 weeks ago and was talking with Tyrannus, ironically enough, about it.  Wonder if my other idea in regards to clash and lock-up sensors came up in conversation too?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:33:29 PM by DARTH VADER »

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Vader, your C&L stuff didn't come up in the conversation...Now you have me intrigued.

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
Amazing, that's nearly 100% accurate to the design concept I came up with about 4 weeks ago and was talking with Tyrannus, ironically enough, about it.  Wonder if my other idea in regards to clash and lock-up sensors came up in conversation too?

Not sure of you're trying to accuse me stealing your idea...but I didn't.  I came up with this one today and sketched it out on a piece of scrap paper in class. Aluke was actually there for most of the conversation, so he knows. Interesting that we have the same idea though. Great minds really do think alike.

Now about this clash and lock-up stuff...do tell?

-MM

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 03:31:11 PM »
Think I'll hold on that one until Tyrannus and I can get it worked out.   ;)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
No offense to anyone here but that is a simple design that doesn't take much thought.   I too came up with a design just like that last spring after I saw guys complaining over the thick necks.  I am really amazed that no one has capitalized on it yet.

All it takes is someone with access to a machine shop and some cash to shell out.

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »
I too had the same idea. But was told that it won't work due to heat. That came from straight from the horses mouth..

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 04:19:39 PM »
The heat issue can be dealt with.  I've already addressed this with Tyrannus.  Just have to think outside the box.   ;)

Right now, it's a matter of if it will be cost effective once we implement it with the clash sensor/lock-up that I brought to his attention.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 04:21:29 PM by DARTH VADER »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »
I must applaud Mac for figuring that out on his own...

However, I have not discussed such specifics with anyone other than Vader and Master Yoda while brainstorming.

However, I have other plans for this type of design that I will NOT divulge until I have a working prototype in hand.

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 04:04:09 AM »
Well, that's my point exactly. The conversation in question wasn't even about YOUR thin neck ideas, it was about Corbin_Das' necks originally. Aluke123 was there with me and Corbin_Das  in the TCSS chat room. Later I had a similar talk with Darth Tyranus, but he wouldn't disclose details on anything. So I started taking shots in the dark on how to do it, and came up with this. Don't think I can be accused of stealing anyones idea, since so far it looks like almost everyone who posted here has already had it  :D

-MM

Offline Ultra

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 05:55:47 AM »
Yes, it's not a new idea, but doing is correctly has been a challenge.

The concern with thin necks has been the strength issue.  T6 aluminum is not a spring metal; the force exerted upon it is cumulative and it has been a concern that over time (and dueling) a thin neck will begin to bend with all the force it absorbs.  This same principle is why an aluminum wheel will go out-of-round over time, whereas a steel wheel will not.  The same characteristic of shock absorbtion is also why aluminum is great armor for tanks, but I digress. 

The tendency of people to prefer heavy, thick blades only makes the situation worse, since dueling with heavy blades will put considerable stress on the thin neck compared to a light-weight blade.  And aluminum doesn't bend well, it just tends to crack, so that would be a bad thing.

I really hope that anyone contemplating making a thin-neck adapter would consider using a stronger material, like steel, that can handle the lateral stress, or make the neck thick enough to take the impacts. A "movie accurate" thin neck made of aluminum would eventually fail if used (and dueled) with a 1" thick walled blade.

But then we have another problem because when aluminum is threaded with a ferrous metal, like steel, you get corrosion, so an aluminum MHS body plus a steel emitter would be a bad combo.

So yeah, this is what we sabersmiths have been struggling with and discussing with machinists.  But I kinda figured Corbin would be the first to come up with something. He's good like that  ;)

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:38:43 AM »
Can somebody post a link to the thin neck thread over at tcss? I tried searching the other day to no avail.....

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 10:10:34 AM »
I shal try and find it.

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 10:17:28 AM »
Its in one of the wish lists I know that. Corbin has posted a couple images of it in the saber pic foums. custom or mhs I forget which.

But I cant find a topic about it itself.

EDIT1:Man this is annoying. I know theres pics but I cant seem to find them.
EDIT2: found them. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=600

About half way down the page, When cobin can I asked him to take a pic of the neck with a luke or obi style bladeholder(5 and 8 I think the numbers are) with a ribbed or vgrooved section. but Iam still waiting but corbins pritty busy latly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:27:22 AM by Alias »

retrousse