fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber Spin Tutorial 16  (Read 8031 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Saber Spin Tutorial 16
« on: May 28, 2006, 03:27:05 PM »
Tutorial 16 begins the Saber staff or "Full Maul" moves.

Move Demonstrated: The "Darth Maul" spin as seen in The Phantom Menace as DM squares off with Obi-Wan in the Theed Hangar.

Watch Streaming Video by clicking on image:

Download Video to your computer, here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/22392850/SaberTutorial16.MPG.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:35:24 PM by Anakin Skywalker »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline registrau

• Experienced Force User
  • ...in a galaxy far, far away
Re: Saber Spin Tutorial 16
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 12:19:47 PM »
Anakin how do you master these moves?

Do you just watch the movies and then practise ntil you make it, or do you actually have training in swords/martial arts?

I mean you do a great job, and I wonder how you get the moves =)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
A childhood of watching Kung Fu and Ninja movies...
...and a bit of informal training from my brother who owns a martial arts school.

Most of what I have learned just comes from emulating the characters I would see in a film or on TV.(you watch every episode of the Highlander Series and your bound to learn something!)  I would watch the move and then go and try to figure out how the move was done.  Breaking it down bit by bit until I got it into a feasable technique.

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »
Yeah this is a AWESOME move,Maul does it in SWBF2 alot too..

I can`t wait to film me doing this move and then rotoscoping it and making a new avatar ;)..

LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:06:06 AM »
nice one anakin.  nice easy move to start the tutorials off.

i have recently started training in aikido.   there are some sword movements taught in aikido.

Offline Yoran Khoor

• Padawan Learner
  • Neither Light or Dark, there only the Force
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
guys, a good ressource for flourishes with any typoe of sword/staff is the spinning community, contact staff and pois video tutorial or ask a friend that spins.

the best practice as Anakin said is watch and try then practice it over and over until you build the muscle memory and it will flow naturaly during your choreographies.

I do fight coordinator for my fencing school and demo team and only repetition build in the motions so they look natural, powerfull , fast  BUT totally safe.
Safety is the #1 priority in any stage fight.

the point is to have maximum fun doing it, with total safety and the crowed will have the chill watching you fight!

most of any sword fight on scene is done quyite slowly but looks fast because of the close frame and angle of shooting.
I am trying to bring real historical techniques into safe but brutal sword fights and so far it works very well.

we were on stage monday at a Shakespeare festival and it was almost standing ovation a t the end ^^
every one complimented us about how real it looked and how thrilled they were to finaly see fights that makes your heart pound .

I was beaming  ;P

( Also, WUshu style will help you learn beautifull and realistic choreographies and Tao which you'll use in stage fights)
Check on youtube: Art of the Saber, fan film, pure real fight kung-fu techniques created one of a masterpiece of lightsaber fight!
"You trully know someone after you fought him"
Jedi...Sith? Both are wrong and blind, there is only The Force!
And it's neither good nor evil, it just IS.

Offline whatknowyouofready

• Padawan Learner
  • There's always a bigger fish.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
You know how Gracie Ju-Jitsu started as an amalgam of Japanese martial arts moves that were modified for modern street fighting?  Well, someone with a legitimate background in kendo and martial arts weaponry, and of course, a huge capacity for nerdiness, should open up a real light-saber dueling school!  Basically, students should be issued battle-ready sabers and staffs and apply real swordplay techniques.  It's just as, if not more, relevant than other purely academic forms of sword-sports, like fencing and kendo.  I mean, no one's going to throw down with a fencing foil on the streets, so why not just light that sucker up and make the sport enjoyable for a bigger segment of the population?  I am half, okay, 38%, serious about this!!
"Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless. "

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »
 ::)

Offline Yoran Khoor

• Padawan Learner
  • Neither Light or Dark, there only the Force
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
What it is Master Caine....? Sorry, not everybody lives in BigApple my dear sir ( unfortunately) or you would have us all as students and we could kick-xxx choreography in the street, around TimeSquare and so much more, an army of Padawans !!!!

"You trully know someone after you fought him"
Jedi...Sith? Both are wrong and blind, there is only The Force!
And it's neither good nor evil, it just IS.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
What it is Master Caine....? Sorry, not everybody lives in BigApple my dear sir ( unfortunately) or you would have us all as students and we could kick-xxx choreography in the street, around TimeSquare and so much more, an army of Padawans !!!!

LOL, I don't live in the Big Apple either. I was just letting you know that you have folks here on the West Coast who can give others saber combat lessons, that's all.

Check out sabercombat.com for more info and mine and Novastar's instructional DVD's  :)

Offline Ingchao

• Force User
    • Some of the sabers I've built:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »
You know how Gracie Ju-Jitsu started as an amalgam of Japanese martial arts moves that were modified for modern street fighting?  Well, someone with a legitimate background in kendo and martial arts weaponry, and of course, a huge capacity for nerdiness, should open up a real light-saber dueling school!  Basically, students should be issued battle-ready sabers and staffs and apply real swordplay techniques.  It's just as, if not more, relevant than other purely academic forms of sword-sports, like fencing and kendo.  I mean, no one's going to throw down with a fencing foil on the streets, so why not just light that sucker up and make the sport enjoyable for a bigger segment of the population?  I am half, okay, 38%, serious about this!!

Long Island, NY checking in!
I resemble that remark and would like to add that I also teach anyone who comes to my classes proper stancework as well as how to kick and punch. I treat it as a complete martial art and teach it like a regular martial arts class.
Don't let my post count fool you. I've built more sabers than that count #.

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »
Wow, very cool.  So, tournaments one day?
"Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless. "

Offline Ingchao

• Force User
    • Some of the sabers I've built:
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
Hopefully, combat AND forms competition, too!
Don't let my post count fool you. I've built more sabers than that count #.

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Excellent!  Very clever business idea; I wish you success with it.   Is it advertised as expressly Star Wars combat?

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
The logistics of such a thing is a nightmare. Novastar was looking into setting up something exactly like this, but it's 100% impossible to do alone, and getting groups to agree on things, form a common ground and actually agree on most of the aspects has proven to be impossible. That, and it takes a good amount of time and $$. Egos get in the way, and dsgdsgdsgssdszds..... >:(

Yes, Ingchao certainly does a great job on the east coast...if only we could do something together...we already agree on lots of things,  8)

retrousse