fiduciary

Author Topic: Need help to separate handle on Hasbro E4872; childrens' toy, to remove blade  (Read 201 times)

Offline pennyemporium

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
i would like to remove the blade from this scratch&dent children's all-plastic saber from the thrift store; see attached photo.  the model # is V3625B Hasbro (and i'd love to post a photo, but the site will not allow, frowns)

https://ibb.co/0YPddSz [nofollow]

toy currently available on amazon, item # B07TDH8NFW
title: Star Wars Lightsaber Light Up Extendable

almost top dead center on the back of the band, you can see the little grey bit that sticks into the handle, near the screw hole, right at the top of the black band.

the handle has the battery door & screw; easily removed.

the handle also has two screws that connect the two halves together; also easily removed.  the two halves are easily separated, just seem to be held together by the blade collar.

it seems that the end part, the grey 'blade holder' that says star wars slides down over the two handle halves and clips in somehow.  i would like to remove this collar so i can get the two halves apart, without destroying the collar or the toy. 

i hope to replace the blade with a glow-in-the-dark paracord whip. 

has anyone taken this toy apart?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:17:57 PM by pennyemporium »

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
I've butchered a lot of these sabers in the past. the top ring is glued together and plastic "welded" to the main hilt body. Not much you can do for saving the plastic body.

If you find Hasbro sabers from the 1999 era, those will come apart fully without them having to be broken.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline pennyemporium

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
@COUNT DOOKU:  many thanks for the reply.  this smallish saber is currently available on AMZ, and the back of the handle says "2018 e4872".

the two sides are the handle are easily separated, no glue holding them just the two screws.  it's the blade collar that snaps over the two sides that is holding me back from separating them fully.

i am hoping there is a "trick" that someone knows so i don't have to reinvent the wheel... all thoughts welcome!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
I think the collar is glued with q solvent that welds it on.  I could be wrong, but that would be a common toy making process.  It's meant to be cheap and just rugged enough.

Offline pennyemporium

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
@COUNT DOOKU and @jbkuma:  i believe you are correct.  the collar appears to be "glued" on, and i can't seem to get even a straight pin under the collar.  i will admit defeat to get this toy apart. 

will donate back to the thrift store for the next 'child' to adopt!

retrousse