fiduciary

Author Topic: Rebels Season 2 Finale and SPOILERS  (Read 18378 times)

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
Rebels Season 2 Finale and SPOILERS
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:36:37 AM »
Well peeps, finished watching Season 2 this morning with the Double episode (19-20 if you use theTVdb numbering) Twilight of the Apprentice and completely adored it.

Great build up episodes prior to this with fabulous stories in their own right but this double ep gave me pretty much everything I could want from it.

First off the not so perfect elements:
1. new faceless inquisitor... not that I didn't like the character and yep he/she/it did some cool stuff but it felt expendable.
2. off camera deaths... I appreciate it has to be kid friendly as well but kinda felt watered down.

The great:
1. the Maul reveal... Maybe I was the only one but I was straining my eyes at first to work out who the old man was only to be blown away at the reveal.
2. the Inquisitor light saber copters... I thought it looked stunning and innovative, very Jedi like to rely only on your skills, the force and your saber.

The amazing:
1. visually stunning ls fights... thankfully Ezra while a hope for the Rebellion and the Jedi was also considered a commodity to the Sith without the need to make him the all powerful centre of the universe.
2. Vader was Anakin after all... terrific to see the terrifying and powerful Darth Vader tied to the brilliant Clone Wars Anakin, sent chills up my spine when you could just hear Anakins voice after the battle damage.
3. They don't always win... Sure they got away with the Sith Holocron but Ashoka maybe gone, Kanan maybe blinded and thankfully Ezras LS/stun gun got the chop.

So season 3 has been announced and is coming this year, best news in a long time.

Anyone else enjoy it?

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
Re: Rebels Season 2 Finale and SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:30:31 AM »
I really liked the ending with Vader and Ahsoka standoff.

I however hated the saber copters...that just doesn't make any sense. Half the episode they are just flying around.

Always love Maul. Knew it was him right from the start  :azn: That and that he basically killed off the inquisitors...awesome.  :evil:

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline Master Mithric

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:19:09 AM »
My favorite episode of Rebels to date. The Vader/Ahsoka fight was fantastic. I don't truly believe she's gone since they are doing a 3rd season.

I honestly felt the whole copter bit was silly, but then again this is a Disney program so it's expected.

Maul of course was also well done and glad he survived the episode. In a way, I kind of wish they have let Maul kill off Kanan and it be Ahsoka who finishes Ezra's training. OR instead of blinding Kanan, Maul pulled some trick and snuck away with Ezra while Kanan/Ahsoka dealt with Vader.
LDM MR Luke V2 CSv1
Hasbro Obi TPM CF5
GCS Ascend CS2
Roman Props Inception
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex 2.0 TFA
Korbanth Graflex 2.0 ESB
Korbanth MPP ANH
Korbanth K4
Korbanth MW3

Master Replica Series:

Anakin AOTC Force FX
Yoda AOTC/ROTS Force FX
Vader ESB Force FX
Windu AOTC/ROTS Force FX
Luke Skywalker ROTJ Force FX

Hasbro Signature Series:

Count Dooku AOTC/ROTS
Anakin ROTS
Darth Maul TPM

Offline NinjaPirateAssassin

• No Force
  • >_>
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:28:29 AM »
Really liked the episode. Maul was great, and I thought Vader's lines were amazing, especially everything after the mask damage.

Negatives for me were that even in the double-length the pacing was bad, having to rush to the ending. Sabercopters were a silly gimmick (they have repulsorlift tech in them, apparently) that I can live with never having to see again.

Couple other items of interest, Filoni gave an IGN interview that talks a lot about a lot: Star Wars Rebels: Dave Filoni on Ahsoka's Fate, Maul's Return and Much More -

Biggest takeaway for me is Maul is going to play a significant part in S3 of rebels, and Ahsoka won't, possibly even to the point of not being in the show going forward.

Also they announced an Ahsoka Tano book (covering post-TCW to Rebels): New STAR WARS Novel Featuring Ahsoka Tano Announced (Exclusive) | Nerdist

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »
 :cheesy:

I have to admit it I'm hooked. Love the show.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
The saber-copter bit wasn't just "silly" it was downright STUPID. The entire practical raison d'etre for lightsabers logically existing in the SW universe is that in a Galaxy where TELEKINETIC superbeings exist a combatant absolutely needs a weapon those beings can't PUSH AWAY with their minds/the Force hence energy bolts instead of bullets for the Forceblind muggles and energy blades instead of metal ones for Force users. And energy blades wouldn't have the mass to push air the way matter rotors like in helicopters do. But as with the Stupidsaber [tm] all that the Evil Mouse cares about is "oooh loox kewl dewds" onscreen eye-candy no matter how microcephally moronic an idea actually is. Can we PLEASE beat the heck out of Disney execs with our sabers - thickwall blades preferred - until they hire a TECHNICAL ADVISER who actually passed High School physics For Force Sake? grrrr...

...now on to the GOOD; which was just about everything else.

I otherwise LOVED the episode. Even the 'old master' Maul who I hated as 'Spider-Maul' in TCW episodes but who was very very much improved and quite believable in this one. Truly SITHY perhaps more so than we have ever seen from him before, onscreen outside of the books anyway. His 'chemistry' with Ezra was really really well done [Karmic affinity hmmmm?] and the duplicitousness was worthy of Palpatine himself and well representative of Mau;ls training by his own Old Master. His near verbatim recitation of the Sith Code [to 'plant seeds' of the Dark Side somehow knowing that Ezra wouldn't recognize it?] was a particularly nice bit of writing imo.

And the Ahsoka vs Vader/Anakin showdown was so long overdue and so chilling yet emotionally 'real' and poignant...exactly as it should have been. GREAT stuff.

So many nice little 'touches' throughout.

I consider this the best SW Rebels episode yet.

BRAVO to Filoni and all involved making it. 

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline TheSaberCore

• Force User
  • Every saber has a core.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
This season of Rebels was mostly filler nonsense but this episode brought down the house. The saber copters had me confused, I haven't seen all the Rebels episodes so I was like "Could they do that before?" Everything else was great. Vader's entrance on his TIE was so awesome, and I was surprised they killed all the inquisitors and blinded Kanaan. Also I believe Ahsoka is dead, there's no way Vader left her alive and it seemed to me that last dark shot she turned off her lightsaber and fell on her knees, dying. But that's my interpretation, I'm probably wrong.  :smiley:
Nice work Filoni, will watch next season!
"Luke."

"The Belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

Offline NanoRex

• No Force
  • "But now, we must eat! Come!"
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »
I admittedly don't watch Rebels for a few reasons, but I couldn't resist the season 2 finale. And it was so worth it. This episode was fantastic, and I loved many aspects of it that others have already mentioned. I also enjoyed hearing Nika Futterman (Asajj Ventress) return as the voice of the Sith temple entity.

Main complaint: The saber copters. I could complain them for ages. But what I'd like to point out is - why is this the first time we've seen this ability, yet the hilts look exactly the same? I feel like they would have been better introduced in season 3 with a new hilt design, along with some reason as to how they actually would make sense.

I'm also very much looking forward to Maul vs Vader duel :)

Fun fact: Eight Brother is a Terrelian Jango Jumper, the second to appear in SW (the first being Cassie Cryar).

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
I don't think the saber-copters were a pure mechanical method of flight, I just took it to be a focus for assistance with a force ability they wouldn't of had otherwise (and yes I know that makes me sound like an apologist and yep I did watch the nameless one fall when his saber died.) More on the saber-copters it reminded me of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon type of impressive movement.

Ashoka definitely didn't die though, at the end of the double ep we see Ezra sad facing Rex, Maul flying away in a Tie, Vader limping along the outside of the wreckage, the owl thingie flying and then a tiny figure heading into a triangle doorway of a pyramid style building before it cuts back to the rebels.... Sorry but this is a spoiler thread.

Offline MasterAddison

• Experienced Force User
  • Do you like sand?
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 07:26:57 AM »
I think that Ashoka is definitely dead. I saw some high res pictures of her walking through the door at the end and she looks like a force ghost. Secondly Vader wouldn't leave there without killing her, he is supposed to completely immersed in the dark side until Luke comes along so there is no way he would show her mercy.

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
  • Member of River City Jedi
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 10:31:02 AM »
Ashoka definitely didn't die though, at the end of the double ep we see Ezra sad facing Rex, Maul flying away in a Tie, Vader limping along the outside of the wreckage, the owl thingie flying and then a tiny figure heading into a triangle doorway of a pyramid style building before it cuts back to the rebels.... Sorry but this is a spoiler thread.
I saw something different: what I thought was the silhouette of Ashoka dropping/collapsing to her knees - perhaps gravely injured or really distraught.  I think it was a pretty effective cliffhanger because everyone sees something different. 

I agree that leaving Ahsoka alive wouldn't be in keeping with "DARTH VADER" we've come to know, but a conflicted Anakin might not have been able to kill her in cold blood (she was like his kid sister).  But I'd be surprised if we heard from Ahsoka again in SW Rebels.  Maybe they are saving her for another series - or even a motion picture.  Maybe she also falls to the dark side if she was truly left alive on Malakor but surrounded by all those Sith artifacts - seeking knowledge?  She was pretty angry & mercurial in SW Clone Wars.  Is a fall to the darkside that unbelievable?  Especially if she thinks it is the only way to save the Galaxy from Palpatine & Vader.
Do or do not. There is no try.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
Possible but at least from this episode it looks like it is more likely that Aladdin er I mean Ezra ;) is going to Fall to the Dark Side - Maul was 'planting' the same kind of Dark Side 'seeds' in his mind that we saw Palpatine do with Anakin.

Kanaan being 'blinded' offers an opoportunity for the writers next year to have him go off to Miraluka or find a Miralukan to teach him to 'see through the Force' which either way could leave Ezra alone to be found again by Maul and seduced to the Dark Side...afterall SOMETHING has to happen to Ezra eventually since we know he doesn't become the Jedi's "New Hope" in the end. I doubt very much that Disney would want to freak out the kiddies by killing him so a 'Fall' seems more likely imo and this episode could be a bit of 'foreshadowing' that for later in the series.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline TheSaberCore

• Force User
  • Every saber has a core.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
Possible but at least from this episode it looks like it is more likely that Aladdin er I mean Ezra ;) is going to Fall to the Dark Side - Maul was 'planting' the same kind of Dark Side 'seeds' in his mind that we saw Palpatine do with Anakin.

Kanaan being 'blinded' offers an opoportunity for the writers next year to have him go off to Miraluka or find a Miralukan to teach him to 'see through the Force' which either way could leave Ezra alone to be found again by Maul and seduced to the Dark Side...afterall SOMETHING has to happen to Ezra eventually since we know he doesn't become the Jedi's "New Hope" in the end. I doubt very much that Disney would want to freak out the kiddies by killing him so a 'Fall' seems more likely imo and this episode could be a bit of 'foreshadowing' that for later in the series.
Not only that, but they destroyed Ezra's blaster-saber, leaving it open for him to get a new Sith red one. Also, just want to throw this out there:

1. Ezra has a Sith holocron with Sith teachings all at his fingertips
2. Ezra rediscovered the crossguard saber
3. Ezra would be pretty old by the time of TFA

Is Ezra Snoke?
"Luke."

"The Belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »
Ahhhh, Ahsoka... How you endeavor to break my heart a second time. I say Lady Tano lives. She fends Vader off and slips away during the explosion. Vader barely survives and limps away without the prize of Malachor, the Presence Holocron. Alone and trapped in the remains of the temple and going ever deeper into its depth, Ahsoka must now find another way out, perhaps even make a gambit with the dark side itself. Regardless, I believe we will see her once more in Rebels... but she'll never be the same after Malachor. Noone will.

Sabercopters are dumb, and this is capitalized upon by the death of the Eighth Brother. Speakin on which, Maul was BRUTAL. I can't believe he bisected Seventh Sister, then straight up murders a defenseless Fifth Brother! Then, Kanaan is blinded by Maul, in a moment that IMO mirrors Starkiller's blinding of Kota -- by a Sam Witwer character at that to boot!

All in all, the best episode to date... probably a better story than some of the best of the films so far -- for me, the feels were very real, especially when the "long awaited meeting" was finally underway. Good, good stuff.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
Then, Kanaan is blinded by Maul, in a moment that IMO mirrors Starkiller's blinding of Kota -- by a Sam Witwer character at that to boot!

I thought the same thing about Kanan. I didn't realize that Witwer was playing Maul, though! Awesome!

retrousse