fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex 2.0 complete!  (Read 18010 times)

Offline Scottm2815

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Graflex 2.0 complete!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 01:14:32 AM »
Completed my ESB saber on Saturday, I absolutely love it, it's hard to put it down- very fun!

Will post a video later, I've used 2 ESB fonts- Bespin 2 and Graflex V, love both fonts for there different their activation sounds. Bespin 2 has that sort of snap hiss as heard at the start of the ESB battle and Graflex V has more of a generic start up sound which is also nice to have.
I tried to use the MPP HD boot sound for Bespin 2 so I could get that quote "The force is with you young Skywalker etc." however the boot sound must have been corrupt because it says the first few words and then some random clashes just go off.

In all I enjoyed the experience of putting together my first saber and I'm looking forward to doing more. Very tricky to solder to the board as the solder pads are so close together so for me that was the most stressful part. I ended up cutting my LED and switch wires a little too short, not sure how I did that but it all worked out in the end. Just waiting for my blade to arrive now:)

Offline Yubnub

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 02:45:31 PM »
Hey guys! Final update with pics at last. So so pleased with this. It's so cool to have such an accurate, working prop. A 10 year old me just exploded with jealousy in some distant universe...

It's been a really long wait to get this finished, partly for stuff to become available and delivery times but mostly my indecisions on how to go about the build. i'm still messing with it and have some minor adjustments to make, mostly on the length of the wiring loom for the various reaches of the chassis. i used striped down JST connectors so i didn't have to solder with the chassis in place and so i could change my mind on some things. Some serious cram-fu going on in there atm but it all fits! I also have the LED/heatsink on a separate loom so i can swap out different units if i fancy a new colour (arctic blue, royal blue, blue...who knows!? i thought it was just going to be blue!)

So here are the pics. i'm going to be lazy and just post them up for now, maybe one day i'll get some words back from my fried brain and put together a build thread. If there are any questions i'll do my best to answer...  :grin:    final thought: MAN, ITS LOUD AND BRIGHT!

Thanks to everyone that helped me along the way with answering my PM's and such. Really big respect to the creators of the various parts, great job!

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
That is a very sleek job! Love those connector things instead of soldering. Makes it much easier to change things, if you want to in the future.

May I ask what's up with the two holes on the grenade section. I assume one is for the led module, and the other for the activation switch wires?

Offline Yubnub

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 03:12:49 PM »
That is a very sleek job! Love those connector things instead of soldering. Makes it much easier to change things, if you want to in the future.

May I ask what's up with the two holes on the grenade section. I assume one is for the led module, and the other for the activation switch wires?

Thanks! i love being able to strip it down without desoldering stuff. It can all come apart and go back together in just a few minutes.

Exactly right. Top end hole is threaded M4 and has a 6mm M4 grub screw clamping the LED assembly. Then a series of clearance troughs in the ribs leading to the through hole for the button wires to reach chassis.

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
Now that's you don't see every day. Very nice process.

Let me say again. You're build it truly amazing. The future of saber building lies in those connect things. I've used them for modding my Xbox and they save you so much time

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
  • "Fog Machines & Lightsaber Reys"
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
xxx yubnub...thats some amazing work you did!!! the wires look immaculate! superb job my friend!  :cool:

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
Now that's something you don't see every day. Very nice process.

Let me say again. You're build is truly amazing. The future of saber building lies in those connect things. I've used them for modding my Xbox and they save you so much time

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »
Oops lol. Was trying to correct my grammar fail lol.

Anyways. Sweet job.... again

Offline DarkSideTendencies

• Force User
  • It's becoming an obsession...
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
Very clean and very nice. Now I need to rethink my layout for wiring and use connectors. Great....

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
Im diggin' the clear heat shrink! and the wires make me think of skittles..."taste the rainbow" :cheesy:...but it really looks good man, I'm only kidding! I love how clean your chassis came out! awesome job!!!

Offline smaneesint

• Force User
  • You can call me Gibson. That's my nickname. ;)
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »
That heatsink KILLS! From who did you buy it from? It saw you mentioned it's on Etsy but I couldn't find one. And seeing that Wannawanga circuit card on so many posts now it's on my must-have list.

Offline Yubnub

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
That heatsink KILLS! From who did you buy it from? It saw you mentioned it's on Etsy but I couldn't find one. And seeing that Wannawanga circuit card on so many posts now it's on my must-have list.

Thanks! The heat sink is my own design from parts sourced separately. I have begun to make up more of them which i will put up for sale very soon. They have the benefit of being adjustable depending on the lens and LED pad thickness stack-up. A happy accident means the top of the copper sleeve is slightly choked from the cutter which holds the parts in after the grub screw is done up. No glue needed!

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »

Thanks! The heat sink is my own design from parts sourced separately. I have begun to make up more of them which i will put up for sale very soon. They have the benefit of being adjustable depending on the lens and LED pad thickness stack-up. A happy accident means the top of the copper sleeve is slightly choked from the cutter which holds the parts in after the grub screw is done up. No glue needed!

thats some imagineering you came up with! xxx fine job if you ask me :smiley:

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 08:26:21 AM »

what resistors are you using? are they the .47ohm .5w resistors?

blade pics please!  :angel:

Offline Yubnub

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 12:22:14 AM »
what resistors are you using? are they the .47ohm .5w resistors?

blade pics please!  :angel:

Hey Erlomd, they are 1ohm 2w actually. All LEDs using the same. Didn't see the need to spec anything else really. Even with that, it's seriously bright! (much more so than i had imagined.) ...there aren't many blade options here in the UK so the type i want isn't available. I'd like to make one but, again, it's all down to the blade tip availability. All i want is a 7/8 mirrored round tip...  :cry:

retrousse