fiduciary

Author Topic: Yoda DIY Graflex Chassis Kit ESB Vintage  (Read 34417 times)

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
Re: Yoda DIY Graflex Chassis Kit ESB Vintage
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
   Hmm, sad to find out that the CF is considerably louder then the PC  :-[...... Sigh.. Cant win no matter what. haha.

This is coming together beautifully. It really does make me want to get a Yoda DIY chassis. I really would like to see EXACTLY how the aux switch mounts to the 'small slider' on the side next to the red button, the long silver part that is on the inside of the slider broke off on mine almost as soon as i got it, its kinda fragile :P. Is it necessary to have it to make Yodas aux setup work? Cheers bro, back to working on some more bases!

Cheerios m8's

Shane

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 09:53:17 PM »
Obi-Shane,

I was able to bend down what was left of my tab. You just have to mount the side switch a little further up in the channel. Master Yoda supplied a side actuating tactile switch for under the slider. He said they were the last of that kind that he had, and he would supply a different kind in the future. It just gets mounted with thin double sided tape, but I had to also use some hot glue to keep it from sliding back on me. After a couple of times turning the saber on and off (that will happen ;D), the slider wouldn't contact the switch quite right and I would have to remove the chassis (which means removing the pins, glass eye and the screw) and fix the position of the switch. The side switch is kind of all trial and error to get right ;)

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
i had the same "problem" like Evan with the slide switch. the first time i putted together the chassis and
the upper shell, the tactile was to close to the sliding switch, so there where not enough room for it to slide.
so i sanded the blade holder a little more to get a different position for the tactile. with the last modification i
used a drop of glue to fix the switch and used some electric tape to hold it in position. and now it
works!
without a dremel it will be very hard to trim the slider to the right size, like Evan said you have to be very carefull
or otherwise it will break!

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »
- Graflex emitter plug:
[

- today i changed the battery setup by slightly modifying the AA Batterie holder, now i can use the CR123  8)

- lit up crystal chamber:

- D-ring installed:

- and finally the completet Graflex ESB Vintage with Yoda DIY Graflex Chassis Kit  8) :o

only thing i have to do tomorrow is to shorten the screws from the grip section! haven't the time today  :-\
i will post a short review and a video ( also sound comparison video of PC and CF Graflex ) in the forum gallery! but i can so for now: CF is much louder!!!

Yoda did a great job with this kit, everything was explained very clear, even the modifications that where necessary on the Graflex!
it was a great fun how things come together step by step, sometimes it was a bit tricky because a few parts are really small  :)
this will definitely not be my first and only Graflex chassis kit from Yoda!!! and i'm looking forward for his modification options  :o

Again thank you so much for putting our hobby to the next level ( like several times before  ;) )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
parts used for the complete conversion:

. Yoda DIY Graflex Kit
- Vintage Graflex
- Seoul P4 blue LED and lens holder
- Graflex blade adapter,  Graflex pins and red button set screw from the Graflex Shop
- ESB kit from tfx studios ( card, D-ring, textured mylar tape and screws  ) mixed them with the notched grips from tcss
- extra brass tubes ( a little smaller in diameter than the one from the DIY kit ) and fiber optic
- premium speaker from tcss
- PC unlocked from tcss
- also a lot of heat shrink
- MAAS polish for cleaning up the Vintage Graflex
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope you liked my review of grand Master Yodas DIY Graflex Chassis Kit

MTFBWY

EgonMcGregor

ps: here is the link to the photo gallery: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=32216.0
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:34:25 AM by EgonMcGregor »

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »
Great review Egon :) I like the blade plug. What did you use, 3/4" polycarb inside 1" thickwall ?

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 08:11:10 AM »
thanks Evan, this is a cut down blade plug from tcss, only thing i made was cutting down the metal disk and
carefully sanded  the id of approx. 1/8 inch so that the glass eye fits.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:37:54 AM by EgonMcGregor »

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
Hey, when you glued the glass eye pieces together, did you use that cyanoacrylate stuff or something else?

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »
yes evan, at first i just fixed the contact pin to the glass eye button/screw so that it had the right position,
after that i filled it with hot glue  ;)

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
Cool, I ordered a blade plug from ARKM but I'm still going to make my own. I've had this blade for years that I never use and is too long. I figure I can cut some off and make a blade plug. I'm going to get some 3/4" polycaronate and glue it inside the 1". The glass eye should fit nicely into that, I think. Now, if I could just get me a stand....

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
happy gluing Evan ;-)

if you are after a stand try  this http://cgi.ebay.at/ACRYLIC-DISPLAY-CASE-FOR-LUKE-VADER-ANH-ESB-LIGHTSABER-/320708624707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aabb94143#ht_3853wt_907

or look for the ones from obi shane http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=32070.msg430341#msg430341
he did great work on those bases, and they have a wooden bottom!!!

i ordered a complete case from the guy in the firsts link, and it is outstanding, the quality is very good, he ships fast and the package was, well it took me
about 15 minutes to get the case out of it ( very well packaged ).
here are 2 photos:

also i get one from obi shane in a few days, but at this point of working progress obi has only the bases so you will need to buy  an acrylic stand too!

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the shot out EgonMcGregor. Yes, he was kind enough to purchase one of my first bases at around materials cost. I reluctantly sold it to him since it wasn't as perfect as I'd like, Even though he was happy with the way it looked in the first pictures I disassembled it , repainted it 2 times and polished it up a bit. Yes, I use a piece of solid Maple wood for starters. It would be cheaper and easier ( MUCH less sanding and prep work) to go with some other material such as laminated press wood or some cheap alternative, but that's just not what I want to go with. Ducos contacted me to make one for one of his build threads and I just completed it this weekend, I went ahead and made 2. One is reserved for him and I will probably be putting the other up for sale here.

Oh, and EgonMcGregor, Like we talked about, when you want a more perfect base, I'll custom build you one for a 'reveal' setup at a good price, and it will be a good 2 inches longer then the one I already sent you. I have also gotten some materials for a custom designed saber stand I will be trying out, as well as an acrylic cover. they will all have brushed aluminum and brass accents to them to compliment the bases. they look great in my head at least, lets hope they will in real life as well, haha.

Here are the ones I did this weekend after Ducos contacted me..

Cheerios!

Shane

EDIT:  As an after thought, Egon, were you thinking of installing screws for the upper grip section? I'm kinda diggin that look, and it prevents your grips from creeping on you. Just trying to locate the perfect screws for it myself as i dont want to go with phillips heads.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:08:29 PM by Obi-Shane »

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
Egon, that stand on ebay is like $90 and the shipping is $44 :o That's more than I paid for my Graflex. I was trying to get one from ArkaiHalon for $20. The problem is that he's not getting back to me. I was also hoping that Master Yoda would sell his stands(and blade plugs), or at least make them available to those who get the DIY chassis ;)

Obi-Shane, those are very nice :) Do they come with arms?

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the shot out EgonMcGregor. Yes, he was kind enough to purchase one of my first bases at around materials cost. I reluctantly sold it to him since it wasn't as perfect as I'd like, Even though he was happy with the way it looked in the first pictures I disassembled it , repainted it 2 times and polished it up a bit. Yes, I use a piece of solid Maple wood for starters. It would be cheaper and easier ( MUCH less sanding and prep work) to go with some other material such as laminated press wood or some cheap alternative, but that's just not what I want to go with. Ducos contacted me to make one for one of his build threads and I just completed it this weekend, I went ahead and made 2. One is reserved for him and I will probably be putting the other up for sale here.

Oh, and EgonMcGregor, Like we talked about, when you want a more perfect base, I'll custom build you one for a 'reveal' setup at a good price, and it will be a good 2 inches longer then the one I already sent you. I have also gotten some materials for a custom designed saber stand I will be trying out, as well as an acrylic cover. they will all have brushed aluminum and brass accents to them to compliment the bases. they look great in my head at least, lets hope they will in real life as well, haha.

Here are the ones I did this weekend after Ducos contacted me..

Cheerios!

Shane

EDIT:  As an after thought, Egon, were you thinking of installing screws for the upper grip section? I'm kinda diggin that look, and it prevents your grips from creeping on you. Just trying to locate the perfect screws for it myself as i dont want to go with phillips heads.

not for this graflex, this is built as a wampa cave version, it hase the spange behind the graflex button and will not have additional screws in the grips
like the dagobah version ;-)
during the chassis building process i thought it would be nice to have another version of lukes lightsaber on the shelf, maybe i will convert my parks replica to a esb/stunt version with only the necessary parts installed to it ( PC, batterie pack, speaker ). maybe later this year...  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:01:19 AM by EgonMcGregor »

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 11:10:50 PM »
and Evan, don't forget that these are complete cases! sure they are a little bit pricy but
came out really nice ;-)

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
Oh, it's nice, don't get me wrong. I am unemployed at the moment and I can't spend that much on a stand. I bought the DIY kit with money I had saved for over two years just for that purpose. I can justify a $20 or so Halon stand though 8)

retrousse