fiduciary

Author Topic: Yoda, question about assembly...  (Read 1037 times)

Offline DJ4428

• Experienced Force User
    • Jedi Journey
Yoda, question about assembly...
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »
Figured I'd post it rather than PM.  Does a kit require a 3-cell to assemble or can it be put together while searching for the right flash?  I know there are some small parts from the actual graflex that might go into the chassis for small details so wanted to double check. I am committed to making sure I get into the next run, but I know I won't have a graflex for another 3-4 weeks after and wanted to build the chassis/chamber while I searched for the right flash gun.  I never cared if I got a replica or real one as I've owned several of both...but now I'm set on a real one to get as close to ideal grail saber as possible.  Plus real flashes are actually far more common these days funny enough (if you don't count replicas being ready to order). 

No rush as it's a project I want to finish by Christmas and that gives me plenty of time for everything.  So if the kit has to stay as a kit until the flash is here it's no big deal and I'll probably just find the right flash faster.

Also, if anyone else knows the answer let me know.

Thanks!
DJ
Sabers I own/made:  ancient "Ossus" w/US 2.5 + rebel green
Larbel graflex w/ PC-U,  p4 blue, yoda chassis kit.  Anh Luke
In the mail-- super v3 plus red makoto w/2.0 sound. Sss hilt. 
Projects--rotj v2 luke, mhs custom 10w w/foc + ignition

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
Re: Yoda, question about assembly...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »
Yes, you will need Graflex parts by the fifth step (in the manual) of the chassis assembly. The first thing you assemble is the crystal plate with the Swaravski crystal roundel. By step five, you need the extra Graflex pins from under the red button to screw into the plate. There are also socket cap screws (included with the kit) that hold the plate pieces together, so you could hold off on the pins until later in the assembly. But, by step 25 you will need the tiny springs from under the Graflex pins for the focusing crystal wire wrap. Do be careful, when removing the pins initially, that you don't lose the springs ;) Again, you could probably get away with doing it a little later. You could go on to assemble the lower half of the chassis (battery and sound chamber) before you do the focusing crystal.

It's not a bad idea anyway. I encountered a problem doing the wire wrap first, then the back half. You have to be pretty accurate in where you bend the brass rods, so that they will slide nicely into the holes they get inserted into. The problem is that the ABS plastic is flexible, and when I put the back half of the chassis together, the aluminum posts weren't parallel. They were angled slightly out, so I had to squeeze them together to mount the speaker plate. This pulled my wire wrap apart slightly :( It was already glued into the plate, so I had to try and squeeze it and re-glue the crystal, which eventually led to too much glue on my crystal ::) It's still not quite right, but you can't really tell now that it's fully assembled. And ya know, it was perfect when I initially did the wire wrap. If I had done the back half first, I wouldn't have had these problems. Just something to keep in mind.

I hope this all makes sense to people who haven't read the manual yet. If not, it will when you do :)

MTFBWY   

retrousse