fiduciary

Author Topic: Rogue One: have you seen? Did you like it? (No Spoilers please, only opinions)  (Read 8101 times)

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
Saw it, thought it was pretty good. 3rd act was amazing, some of the best stuff in all of Star Wars IMO, but I felt the movie was downright bad in the second act and just okay in the first. Very little character development, lots of "We're doing this to get these people together and then to go from setpiece A to setpiece B" type moments.

I could see what they were trying to do, but felt the execution wasn't as good as I wanted it to be and the acting was inconsistent.

Over all, I put it behind TFA, ahead of RotS. My movie order goes 5,4,6,TFA,R1,,,3,,,,,1,2.

I agree.  I enjoyed it, but its flaws were a bit too much for me to really love it.  There were a few too many characters - some of whom have no stake in the story (but more characters mean more merchandise $$$ for Disney, right?) and little room for character development; I never really felt attached to anyone or understood their motivations.

At times the script also felt forced: "We need to do A; but in order to do A we have to do B; but to do B we have to get C; but in order to get C we have to find D, etc."

But the last half hour or so was amazing and definitely worth the price of admission!

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
With my brother we were thinking out loud about something we remembered from OT, which was the Death Star plans being stolen by Bothan spies. I did not see any...? Or were they the plans for the 2nd DS?

Yup, that was from RotJ, in regards to the second Death Star. :)

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
I've seen it twice now. One time in 3D and one in standard 2D. Seeing it again on Sat. with my nephew. I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was exceptionally well done. Held true to the original feel while mixing in modern techniques and story telling. The things that "bothered" me in the first viewing were not as bad the second time around. And I think that will continue as I watch it more and more. It was refreshing to watch something Star Wars that was not Skywalker/Jedi centric. I loved all the little easter eggs and appreciated the risks they took with CG.

For now, I'll categorize it as GOOD to GREAT.

GREAT - ESB
GOOD - ANH, TFA
ENTERTAINING - ROTJ, ROTS
BAD but I'll still watch now and again - TPM, AOTC

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
I'm still digesting this movie as well, but I thought it was a great stand alone film. Answers a few questions I had previously, but I was satisfied about the way it had to finish. I'll save details for another discussion, but I would see it again and would be a welcome addition in my movie library. It's only too bad that Disney will not release any UHD copies. Here's to 2017 being the year to release some.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
The things that "bothered" me in the first viewing were not as bad the second time around. And I think that will continue as I watch it more and more.

That's the same way I felt about TFA.  I haven't had a chance for a second viewing yet, but I'm looking forward to it! (Also, looking forward to seeing it during normal waking hours)

Offline dr.djcolegrove

• Force User
  • Impressive, most impressive
It may be blasphemy, but I actually liked Rogue One better than TFA.
VV/JQ Sabers: Starkiller; SC/VV: Qui-Gon limited edition; VV:Ardent Elite/Havoc/Hero; JQ Sabers:Graflex x2/Graflex Revisited/Lumi/Plo/Chromed Obi TPMx2/Chromed Duke; RO Sabers: Luke ANH and Rey TFA/Obi ANH/KotaV5; HARP: TFU1 SK/DM/SS/TFU2 SK/QGJ/Obi TPM; LDM: GK3/Jacen Solo; GCS: Bane/Ascend x2/Jaina Solo; SH: Force Witch x2/Padawan x2/Corran/Ahsoka pair/Luke V2/TFU2. OM/LDM: Stormtrooper/Skinnyflex; Goodman: Laceratus; FR: Gungi/Wampa/Kota/Yun/Tenel Ka/Darth Talon; NA: Darth Baras;OR: Adi Gallia/Mara Jade;MR:Sid; 89Sabers: Sid,LukeV2

Offline Millicente

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?

I liked it far better than TFA. I walked out of TFA amused because Star Wars was back but I felt cheated because it really did feel like a copy of a new hope in too many ways for me. For rogue one people quote the lack of character development but I never had to care about the characters because I was more interested in the overarching plot and how they would actually get the plans and what it'd look like.

Personally TFA has too many things that have to be rationalized post watching to make it hold for me. I put it below even the prequels.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board

No blasphemy, I think many of us feel the same way. I for one certainly do. The more often I watch TFA the more disappointed I grew. The more I replay the sceneces in R1 in my head (still have to watch it a 2nd time) the more I like them! A fantastic movie, even if I try to be objective and look at it from a perspective of a non-hard-core-SW fun. It brought back a struggle to the screen I can relate to. TFA wanted to be a sequel, but to be honest watching it I found myself in an Universe totally alien to the one I came to love more than 3 decades ago.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
I found this film average at best and I felt the same when I watched the PT. I watched it in 3D and it was awful. too dark and tons of stuff out of focus. Probably would of liked it more if the 3D wasn't annoying me so much.
But with that said TFA was better just because Ridley and Boyega had such good on screen chemistry and TFA flowed along so much better. There was no good on screen chemistry unless you count the scenes with the droid and those were the only scenes with any humour which is a must for a SW movie.
Rogue also has lots af crap just thrown in because the story and acting is so crummy. I don't want to play where's Wolly when I'm watching a movie.

So I'll give it a 6/10.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
My only gripe is the lack of an opening crawl. I can even slap one together, willy-nilly-like, so no excuses for that:

STAR WARS

ROGUE ONE
A Star Wars story

The REPUBLIC has fallen and the Jedi are no more. What remains of their light has scattered across the far reaches of the galaxy.

DARTH VADER and his master SIDIOUS now rule the GALACTIC EMPIRE through fear. The dark side of the force reigns supreme, but is resisted by a small band of REBELS.

Intent on crushing the fledgling REBEL ALLIANCE before it gains any ground, the Emporer sends his sinister agents to find rogue scientist GALEN ERSO in order to complete his ultimate weapon...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:08:42 PM by KingOfDathomir »

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
My only gripe is the lack of an opening crawl. I can even slap one together, willy-nilly-like, so no excuses for that:

STAR WARS

ROGUE ONE
A Star Wars story

The REPUBLIC has fallen and the Jedi are no more. What remains of their light has scattered across the far reaches of the galaxy.

DARTH VADER and his master SIDIOUS now rule the GALACTIC EMPIRE through fear. The dark side of the force reigns supreme, but is resisted by a small band of REBELS.

Intent on crushing the fledgling REBEL ALLIANCE before it gains any ground, the Emporer sends his sinister agents to find rogue scientist GALEN ERSO in order to complete his ultimate weapon...

the entire point of not having an opening crawl was because it wasn't a numbered star wars movie. it was left out for unique-ness, not because of them being lazy

Offline DXistenz

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
I just went and saw Rogue One last night. Being one who grew up through the 70's, I have to say in my opinion that Rogue One did more for Star Wars than the Prequels or even TFA.

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
I saw Rogue One and while I appreciate that they took some risks and tried making a gritty war film, I wasn't all that impressed.  It wasn't bad per se, but it just didn't work for me the way the other films did.  The space battles were fun and though the last ten minutes were fun fan service, it actually didn't fit with the continuity of A New Hope.  I can elaborate but I don't want to tread into spoiler territory for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.  It was great knowing James Earl Jones was doing the voice of Vader again, but MAN did they mess that up during the final sound mix.  I understand that he is getting older but there was no reverb or bass like there was in the other films.  It was jarring because it didn't sound right.

I didn't really care about any of the characters and there were a few cameos that were unnecessary.  One in particular that was downright pandering and took me right out of the movie.  I appreciated that they gave some moral ambiguity to some of the new heroes but I didn't feel like I knew enough about them to really feel anything for them.  It seemed like their motivations weren't fleshed out enough to really have anything to latch on to. 

Honestly I'm glad I saw it but I highly doubt I will be watching it again and very unlikely that I will buy it.  For the few, "Oh that was cool moments" it certainly isn't worth spending the money on to add to my collection. 

I just hope that Disney's plan isn't to make all of the stand alone films be filler movies that will explain away all of the backstories to the Saga films.  I know the Han Solo movie is an origin story (and it's likely going to suck royally). 

I've got a bad feeling about this....

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
I can share your bad feeling about the Han Solo movie...but I'm sooo glad Disney made Rogue One. For me, they managed to conjure up the awe I felt 30+ years ago in the theater.

However I can relate to what you wrote about Darth Vader. Somehow the look and the feel were not fitting to the biggest and most impressive bad guy in the history of movie making. I feel that if he was intimidating in the costume they made him in ANH, it was not strictly necessary to add all those "I'm the evil guy" stereotypes, it made him look ridiculous only...except for the last half an hour.

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you

STAR WARS

ROGUE ONE
A Star Wars story

the entire point of not having an opening crawl was because it wasn't a numbered star wars movie. it was left out for unique-ness, not because of them being lazy

Gareth Edwards addressed this in a recent interview.  He said, this movie was based on the crawl from ANH.. (in a way, this IS the crawl from ANH).. 

..and he didn't want to have a situation where his crawl needed another movie, to explain the crawl-before-the-crawl, (and so on, and so on). 

it had to begin somewhere.   

--> the lack of a crawl places this one "first" in the running order.  (for people who watch 4,5,6,1,2,3).   

we now have a place to "start" the saga -- with NO crawl to explain 'what comes before' (because nothing comes before :p this is where the saga starts).

at least, that was the director's intention, anyway -- go back to 1976 and write the 'first chapter' with no hint at 'what comes before' (as if this was the very first SW movie, directly before the 1977 movie).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:06:18 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

retrousse