fiduciary

Author Topic: The Saberbay Petros Saber  (Read 12243 times)

Offline Sith Emperor

• Padawan Learner
  • Let the hate flow through you!
Re: The Saberbay Petros Saber
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
I think an aluminum version of this saber is gonna be sick! :o
Best of luck with this my friend. :D
If this saber is done right (which I'm sure you will do) I can see it being very popular indeed.

Offline Justintmars

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »
What do you guys think about the size?
Its small but so is the characters hands !
It is a padawan saber

Offline darth hondo

• Master Force User
  • there can only be two
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:40 AM »
I think that it has a good size, especially as a padawan saber.
What blade size will it take?

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »
I think it is a excellent size for a child's saber and looks cool...if I had children I could see getting one or two for them if I had the $ [alas neither is true especially the latter right now] but best of luck to you if you do a run of them.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 06:42:22 AM »
Personally, I don't like the small size.

I think of a saber as having real 'working' parts inside... and that anything smaller than a Luke ROTJ is pushing it as far as too small.
And I am extreme cuz I think the Luke ROTJ is even too small. I think the beefier graflex design makes more sense as a laser sword and anything smaller seems like it is more and more ridiculous that it could actually work. I know these days we have Nano Biscottis and Crystal Shards but that doesn't mean (to me) that we should make smaller and smaller saber hilts.

If you've ever read the story 'Knight Errant' and some other NJO stories that included Jedi having to hide their lightsabers...it was always very difficult because a saber is just naturally kinda big. Like in Knight Errant, the Jedi in hiding had hers taped to the inside of her thigh but she was always afraid someone would notice because even though it was a small saber it was still not easily hidden.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 07:55:21 AM »
If you think hiding a saber is hard try hiding a gun...its easier to hide an "I" than an "L".

But you make an interesting point - there is the OT aesthetic of 'saber-as-complex-machine' with greeblies of indeterminate but presumably vital mechanical function hanging off all over to make those sabers look more complex and mysterious. That was a valid approach to saber design in the context of the backstory of the OT [sabers illegal in the Empire, purpose built lightsaber parts hard to come by, kludge-improvised parts commonplace] and still appeals to many fans which is fair enough. There is also the PT aesthetic of 'saber as ELEGANT weapon of then more civilized age' which generally were more streamlined and smaller and more ergonomic befitting an era of numerous well trained Jedi Masters in their prime using subtle and sophisticated duelling techniques with sabers designed for those as opposed to OT where we only saw an aging Jedi Master past his prime with a much-repaired junky saber that almost malfunctioned, a half-machine Sith not exactly a model of dexterity with a saber designed for mechanical hands, and a semi-untrained farmboy full of New Hope with an inherited much repaired saber he didn't even know how to hold correctly at first and later a saber based on his teachers out of sentimentality that wasn't even functionally correct for his lightsaber combat form [Luke used Form V Djem So but his ROTJ saber was based on Bens who optimized his saber for Form III Soresu] which of course Luke didn't know any better because he was so little trained.

Petros saber comes from the PT era when young Jedi build their own saber at an early age but had already been training with practice sabers even earlier in very young childhood as we see in AOTC. Young Petros probably already knew far more about lightsaber combat forms than Luke did even by the end of ROTJ.

So he built a saber that fit his already developing preferences BUT still fit his CHILDS hand size. That makes sense imo since children have less grip strength and would need a smaller diameter hilt to control the 'gyroscopic effect' of lightsabers from twisting it out of their weaker grip. Its ergonomically and functionally correct for a child's saber imo.

I think Justin's size is just about right for Petros saber for the above reasons. Just my $0.02 Cdn...YMMV of course and MTFBWY eh? :)

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Justintmars

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »

I think of a saber as having real 'working' parts inside... and that anything smaller than a Luke ROTJ is pushing it as far as too small.
And I am extreme cuz I think the Luke ROTJ is even too small. I think the beefier graflex design makes more sense as a laser sword and anything smaller seems like it is more and more ridiculous that it could actually work. I know these days we have Nano Biscottis and Crystal Shards but that doesn't mean (to me) that we should make smaller and smaller saber hilts.

If you've ever read the story 'Knight Errant' and some other NJO stories that included Jedi having to hide their lightsabers...it was always very difficult because a saber is just naturally kinda big. Like in Knight Errant, the Jedi in hiding had hers taped to the inside of her thigh but she was always afraid someone would notice because even though it was a small saber it was still not easily hidden.
What about Yodas saber?

Offline jedirobe

• Experienced Force User
  • ".......There is no try"
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
Looking good Justin. Digging the size.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes......I will do what I must"

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »

What about Yodas saber?

I guess both his and Sidious' saber are exceptions to my rule  ;D

Offline Justintmars

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
As much as I like the Ot sabers, they are not ergonomic.
They don't look like a refined weapon who construction had been mastered over thousands of years. They just don't look meant to be used in battle.

The sabers of the prequels were smaller and smoother because the actors needed to actually wield them and do amazing stuff with them without greeblies cutting their hands or interrupted their grip

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
As much as I like the Ot sabers, they are not ergonomic.
They don't look like a refined weapon who construction had been mastered over thousands of years. They just don't look meant to be used in battle.

The sabers of the prequels were smaller and smoother because the actors needed to actually wield them and do amazing stuff with them without greeblies cutting their hands or interrupted their grip

I agree with this completely. I always thought the chunky nature of the OT Sabers was from the limited selection of parts available during the CW (I always thought the CW would have stressed resources thin) and onward as sabers were outlawed.

I like the small size. It looks both practically and fitting, especially for this character. Keep up the great work, Justin!
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »
Well I think this is a workable design. Yes some people don't want battleax sabers. ;)

Is this aluminum? Can you up the resolution?

If this is just a proto you can take a dremel/grinder to it and clean it up.

Great work, keep all us in the loop.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
I think the size i spot on for a padawon.  Younglings are even smaller! 

I may get 1 if they are ali but only as an empty so it gets installed the way i want it and depending on the price.

Great work so far though.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Justintmars

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »
As I said in the OP the id will be a minimum of 1" all way thru.

I almost surely won't be selling empties.
I also Explained why I think in this thread.
For sure I can do stunts for those who want to upgrade to
Sound.

The resolution will be way higher. No lines. This is just for reference for a machinist.
These will be made out of aluminum.

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
As I said in the OP the id will be a minimum of 1" all way thru.

I almost surely won't be selling empties.
I also Explained why I think in this thread.
For sure I can do stunts for those who want to upgrade to
Sound.

The resolution will be way higher. No lines. This is just for reference for a machinist.
These will be made out of aluminum.

You did indeed mention why earlier in the thread, I quoted it below for anyone else looking for an answer to this :)

Lookin' great. I'd probably be more tempted by an empty though...
The Reason(at least for myself) why most Smiths will not sell an empty is the design and manufacturing and general logistics of building a custom hilt takes lots of time to bring to market.

Unless the hilts are bought in bulk, the price that would be reasonably set for an empty would seem high to most consumers as they do not understand the planning that goes into them.

I think offering a lower priced stunt is the happy middle ground most the time in these cases =D

retrousse